Who Gives Their Own Work As Gifts?

I do, but I feel weird about it, like a guy working in a chocolate factory give out boxes of chocolates, or a car salesman giving out branded hats and tees.  I know this isn't how others perceive my gifts, it's my own insecurity that makes me feel that way.  I should probably change that--irrational hangups don't do anyone any good

Everyone who has gotten my pottery this Christmas has presented me with a bunch of OOOHs and AAAHs. Not many "crafty/ artsy" people around here. I have no problem giving my stuff for presents. I do try to find out their predominant color in the kitchen, den, or wherever then try to match up when glazing their piece. This is the first year for me to produce anything - perhaps future years will be different.

I do constantly. My older sister, always wants wares as gifts. I usually give a gift card to her as well. Because obviously it took work on my part, but nothing too much.

This year, Inmade cookie jars, for each of my wife and my parents, and siblings. I had quite a bit of time into them total. As I mentioned in another topic, Ina,so made a tea set, for my daughter for Christmas. The wood storage box took most of the time.

And every year, I make a mug for the students, who invite me to their Graduation party. They love receiving something they can use, and that I made. I have students, from years ago, that have told me, they still regularly use their's.

Yes, but only the best pieces. I couldn't bear to go to their house and see an imperfection glaring at me.

The best thing is when I go to a far-away friends house after several years, and they point out something

I made. Usually I forgot I made it and enjoy the momentary objectivity of seeing the piece.

This is the first year that I have had enough nerve to give my work as gifts. My daughter-in-laws have asked every year for the last three years for casseroles - this was the year!!! My skill is still evolving so I hope the girls will like them. I guess what really changed my mind was when one of my daughter-in-laws had taken some of my rejects from the shop and had them on her kitchen table - I nearly had a heart attack!!

Anyway, I hope all have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!!!!!

I actually had several relatives buy things from me for other relatives this year, and I gave my sister a bowl she'd had her eye on. The purchases were all beer steins, mugs and serving bowls. I don't *think* I'll be scared to see it at the dinner table later. I figure if I sell it to the public, I shouldn't shut out my Fam. I have given pots in years past, and I gave the best I had to offer. It might look dated now, but when I see it in use, I'm not sad to see it at all, because it's a bit like a time capsule.

When we were starting out, I gave paintings and pots for Christmas to family. They seemed to love them, and they always had them hanging around their homes most of them are still in use. I did feel bad about giving my pieces as gifts worrying they were not good enough to give to those I cared for so. As we became more well off, I stopped doing it, buying gifts. Then in the last few years, I have returned to giving pots as gifts, they love them, and look forward to the gift exchange. I have three sisters, and my Dad's wife, that I make all the same, teapots one year, batter bowls another, mixing bowls etc. I usually give the single men/boys something in the way of mugs or ice buckets or such-again my pottery.

I don't know, but I think a lot of the younger folks appreciate gifts that come from a piece of the other person. Pots are part of me, and a natural gift that way.

I've always given my art (paintings/photography/ceramics) as gifts for the special people in my life. Makes them feel good, makes me feel good. I am selective about which pieces go to which people, so there is the highest probability of a good match. And usually I give it just once, or spaced way apart--not an annual repeat.

I make cups, ornaments or other baubles for my employees every year (at my "real job").  I also give my work in whatever white elephant type gift exchange we're doing.  Sometimes alone, and sometimes coupled with other things.  This year we got one of those nice alcohol gift sets and I'm including a shot glass I made as part of the set for the family exchange.  Most of my friends and family are more than willing to buy stuff from me, but I feel better giving it to them as a present.

I give my work to those i know will enjoy it. My brothers and their wives like pottery and are getting vases this year...last year it was bowls, year before ornaments. My sis got sent some snowflake shaped trinket plates to decorate her table. They seem to like them, my one sis in law makes sure they are signed as she is in hopes I'll be famous one day lol.

we give it to those who like pottery, we actually asked the ones we were not 100% sure about. Our family knows were  artsy and love creating, we have small paintings in most of their homes and here comes the pots..we actually have 2 big orders from family rite now and a small half dozen mug order.. I hate to charge family as they have helped me so much over the years but they insist to pay..

If the adults in my family didn't get a mug for Christmas, they would probably think something is wrong.  My lovely and gifted wife takes the mugs an combines them with coffee/hot chocolate and other goodies and makes a special package for each person.  It is a tradition that I think might turn weird if I/we switched to something like a bowl...maybe we should ask ;)

-Paul

I don't ,do give thro the year to Daughter as she gives great hints,son doesn't return stuff given inpots, platers or casseroles so think he keeps what he needs...

Christmas, like Chris,  I have some strange thoughts, insecurities??? and with some, haven't seen the houses they live in.I'd be perfectly happy with the recipients,if there were any, passing them on,bake fo folks instead.

I still give a select few some work. One of which is my father who is a rough and tumble mechanic who lives a very simple meager life, BUT has always had a fascination with fruit juicers. This one nicety juxtaposed against the grease stained knuckles has always intrigued me. I make him one every year. His matter of factness about my first attempt years ago was refreshing. My journey of clay has weirdly allowed us to get closer. (He made me my first wheel, without ever seeing one before. His way of saying "I approve son".)

I think I have a couple of times, the only one I can remember giving is a small sculpture to my sister in-law, it just seemed like it was something she would like.  I found out last year that she throws or gives away any presents I have given her over the last 40 years. ( I have never really liked her)  Denice

I only give things to my siblings and best friend.  My best friend likes to come over when I open the kiln and pick though all the seconds before they get to the trash can.  My family cracks me up.  When visiting my brother I looked around for the mugs I had sent.  He had it put away with the 'good' dishes.  I asked, what the h....?  He didn't want to risk breaking it.  I haven't had time yet, but I plan to send him a set of four soon.  No need to worry about breakage.  My sister gave me a bowl this past summer.  It was from 24 years ago and my first foray into clay.  I don't have any others from that time, it was nice to have.

I have given things I have made as gifts for years. In my family, which was very large growing up, some had a lot less money than others so the rule was everybody pulled a name out of a stocking at the family event in July and that is the person you handmade something for. It didn't matter what you made knitting, quilting, painting, dolls, clothes, pottery, jewelry, etc you just had to make it yourself.

As an artist I have had friends request a certain piece for Christmas. I have given small items like a tin of cookies and a small ornament or something to my mailman, garbage man, delivery people, etc.

For the first time this year I did up a gift certificate for my daughter for a shopping spree in the Pugaboo Stockroom. She's grown now and I wasn't sure what exactly she would want or need so doing this she gets to pick whatever it is that she wants. She browsed the shelves today and let me know she would make her choices tomorrow. I will keep track of what she selects and next year make pieces to compliment whatever she picks this year to add to her set.

Terry

I have gifted a lot of my pieces to family members.    And they really seem to appreciate it.     My family has always been my biggest supporters in any business I've owned.   And they especially support the pottery business.     They all like to entertain and carry dishes to lots of church and other club and professional association meetings.  And these dishes are always presented in my pottery.   Almost every week someone comments on seeing my pieces at some event  or the home of a family member.    My nieces host quite a bit at their homes and I've helped them plan tables, using mostly my pottery.    I give them one or two larger pieces every year.   And a couple of smaller pieces too.

My family buys a lot of my pottery for gifts too.   In fact it's the only wedding gift they give now.    Surprisingly they are still requesting more personal gifts too.  Example my aunt will order a certain piece for her daughters and tries to pay full price for it.    Surprisingly they haven't gotten enough of it.   I make these small dessert bowls that are fabulous for serving homemade ice cream, bread pudding, banana pudding, cobblers, etc.     My aunt and three nieces said they would love to have about 50 of them.     I give them quite a few along and they buy some as well.   Give to each other as small gifts.   And I've started collections for their children.  

I know my work isn't that special, compared to a lot of potters on this board, but my family thinks it is and want pieces passed down.   If something ever happens to me, the terms of my will state that the studio will be locked immediately and all pieces divided among the family.  

My work is regarded as a family heirloom, whether or not it has value.     My family has lots of passed down items.   Glad to know my pottery will be added to that group.  One of the reasons I keep gifting them pottery. 

You know it's not my pottery that is special .... it's my family.   Explains why they appreciate it.

Archived