Jump to content

Benzine

Members
  • Posts

    3,204
  • Joined

  • Last visited

1 Follower

Profile Information

  • Location
    Iowa
  • Interests
    The Arts (Drawing, Painting, Ceramics, Graphic Design), Running, Music (Mostly Rock), Movies, Technology

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

Benzine's Achievements

Advanced Member

Advanced Member (3/3)

1.2k

Reputation

  1. So I finally had some time to replace the elements, some bricks and other parts on this kiln. My colleague, who uses the kiln came in to help and learn the process. As we were removing the elements and control boxes, we found more damage, from then the wires arced. One spot was on the connection socket between the sections, and part of that actually melted. Then the stainless steel baffle?, that the control box is attached to, also had a hole melted through. We also discovered the kiln sitter had damage and a glob of some melted material. Luckily that glob wasn't on the bar, that would have stopped it from dropping, but it will get replaced anyway. Luckily I have the same kiln at home, that was given to me. I want to eventually convert it to salt or soda, so I've been scavenging parts from that. Good times!
  2. I added wood shavings to a body one time for pit firing, for the same reason. It's always nice to have a workplace, that has an industrial tech area!
  3. Yikes, that's some "groggy" clay! I used my midfire white clay, which is rated for Cone 6, for a recent Raku workshop. I had never tried it before and was worried it might not handle the thermal shock. It did just fine. I also have a brown midfire body, that specifies that it is oxidation only. I kind of want to try it in Raku just to see what happens.
  4. @neilestrick So if I understand all that right, it all has to do with magic?
  5. @neilestrick I'm guessing it would be the two pole 50 amp breaker right? Just out of curiosity, why doesn't 220 need a neutral wire?
  6. @Pres The Raku clay I use is rated for Cone 10 and even beyond. I know of it even being used in wood firing.
  7. So @neilestrick would I just need a standard 240 Volt outlet, and then the breaker that is rated for a certain percentage over what the kiln is rate for correct? And I don't need a new kiln plug itself, just those new 240 volt elements?
  8. Nope, no handles. As I mentioned earlier, I did add some stamped medallions, so perhaps that did something similar? The medallions are about an 1/8th of an inch thick, and made out of *only* the brown clay. I will say that some of the medallions were getting a bit stiff, when I attached them (despite me keeping them in a damp box) so maybe it is possible that those medallions and their memory pulled on their side and caused the warp.
  9. So I just pulled them out of the glaze firing and no additional warping (And worse breaking) occured. I forgot to mention that only the inside was going to be glazed, so I did worry that might contribute to future warping as well. Luckily they turned out well, and the warps aren't too noticeable. In the future I will dry them slower and just to be safe, fire them upright.
  10. The outlet will be on a block wall, and I'd like it to be in conduit from the ceiling to daid outlet. But I've heard that bundled wires are not supposed to be run through conduit because it traps heat. Is that accurate?
  11. @neilestrick So will anything else need to be changed in the kiln, besides the elements? I actually have a spare slab, from another Skutt that was given to me, that I plan to use. It'd got some age, but is in good shape. The run is about 50 feet. How much of a drop will that create?
  12. @Callie Beller Diesel I did do several tests, when I first got the bodies, because I was always planning on trying to combine them, and also because the supplier doesn't list specifics like shrinkage and absorbption. Both bodies have a shrinkage of 10%. I will say, he brown body has a more noticeable grog, and rougher texture associated with it.
  13. @Min I am firing them right side up for the glaze firing. As long as they don't get worse, I can live with it. These were not handled. I let them dry uncovered overnight, in my basement studio. This time of year things dry slow. I took them outside to dry in the sun. Once they released from the bats I flipped them to dry slightly before trimming. Once trimmed They dried upside down overnight in the studio, then dried outside in the sun again, still upside down. I also attached a stamped medallion after trimming (I doubt this had anything to do with it, just listing all the specifics). Then as I mentioned, they were fired upside down for the bisque. Firing is finishing up now, so fingers crossed...
  14. I was planning new elements of some sort. The bottom one or two were damaged along with the bottom slab and bricks. At least one got fused to the slab with the melted projects!
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.