What’s on your workbench?

Test tiles. My shop is closed for the next 2 weeks, so I'm going to focus on getting some things done that I haven't had time to do, like running glaze tests. I make my tiles by throwing a 3 pound ring at the edge of a 13 inch bat, then decorating it with underglazes and cutting it up into about 25 tiles.

Test-Tiles.jpg

On 12/20/2019 at 8:23 AM, karenkstudio said:

Min, Let me know how the syringes work. I don't have any to experiment with.

I have tried this with glue sticks also but didn't like the line impressions left on every beads because of the way the inside of the glue stick tubes were made.   

Have used syringes but still have to make the holes afterwards

1 hour ago, GEP said:

I’m in a similar mode as @neilestrick. My studio is officially closed for the holidays, but I want to tweak one of my glazes before starting up with production again in the new year. Wouldn’t it be nice if the right answer is in the first line blend? Too optimistic?

9108AF9D-69D1-4FCB-B16D-70DBDE150D71.jpeg.ec41c9d318e4b02019808d9fba3b637d.jpeg

Not optimistic.  You are working on intuition when tweaking a glaze, so a line blend is a good way to test intuition.  I bet one of them is the keeper!

Bench is covered with kiln sections and parts and elements.
I emptied all the control boxes of swtches and wires and  anything inside and wire wheeled them down to bare and am repainting them a new high heat primer and then a high heat copper color-New band jackets (tghe right ones hopefully?) came today as well. Going whole hog on the rebuild.

Of course I'm putting is new heat shields around kiln area outside . I spent a few days moving the whole area around kiln into a new more space saving shelves and storage area .Gives me a larger area for kiln and work flow.Just bought a few sheets of 1/2 inch 3x5 cement board for new heat shields as well.I derusted the kiln stand and high heat painted it as well.

Edited by Mark C.

Still down and out with my hand  I hope the hand doctor gives me good news next week.  Big excitement today was going grocery shopping,  my husband scours the store for meals that are easy to make.  He use to complain when I bought them but now that he is the cook  those meals are pretty good.     Denice

• 1 month later...
4 minutes ago, Min said:

It's been quiet on this workbench thread so I thought I'ld show my mussels. :P 

^10 porcelain, heading for a soda firing if they make it through drying without cracking.

IMG_3126.jpeg.cbc25185f635daf7a914d0d388c010a6.jpeg

Wow, very musscular!  I just saw a thread on Reddit where someone added barnacles to everything, must be one of those days :)

I am going to try throwing again today,  I tried a couple of days ago and it did not go well.   My hand doctor told me it could be a couple of months before I get completely healed.   I  hope my hand will cooperate today if it doesn't I think I will start coiling again.   Tried using my slab roller and couldn't turn the wheel with my right hand had to use my left hand and arm.  Wish me luck!  Denice

6 minutes ago, Denice said:

I am going to try throwing again today,  I tried a couple of days ago and it did not go well.   My hand doctor told me it could be a couple of months before I get completely healed.   I  hope my hand will cooperate today if it doesn't I think I will start coiling again.   Tried using my slab roller and couldn't turn the wheel with my right hand had to use my left hand and arm.  Wish me luck!  Denice

Good luck, don't push yourself too hard!

3 hours ago, oldlady said:

min, your mussels will be beautiful when you finish them.   the NCECA in tampa in 2011 had free ones for people to take home.  i got one and it was glazed so perfectly it appeared to have just come from the sea.

what will you do with the piece shown?

I'm not going for a realistic finish, I'll be spraying a flashing slip (not blue) and I hope to get some orange/rust colours on part of them. There are actually 3 clusters of shells in the picture above, I usually mount them on driftwood with some other porcelain shells, tube worms, urchins etc but for these I made the rocks big enough that they should be okay as stand alone little sculptures. 2 of my market venues are very close to the ocean, things like these tend to do okay there.

@liambesaw, those molds for your coffee pots?