What’s on your workbench?

• 3 weeks later...

Finished my glass casting tests  Saturday  and finally got my finished cast to look like old wine bottle bottoms.  I still need to throw more molds but I have been cleaning and reorganizing the bookcase in my shop.  It was so full  paperwork and books were spilling onto the floor.  I can get back to throwing molds today.  My mother in-law is getting ready to move into a senior residence apartment,  that will keep me busy for awhile.    Denice

Much like @Callie Beller Diesel, I have a full plate tonight.  In celebration of my youtube channel reaching 100 subscribers I decided it was a good idea to throw 100 bowls.  Now that they're all drying at a rapid rate, I'm having second thoughts on how great of an idea it was! Haha

IMG_20191006_172144-756x1008.jpg

IMG_20191006_172148-756x1008.jpg

2 hours ago, oldlady said:

liam, i use a bowl much like yours but with a handle much like  callie's.   it is my second favorite bowl and is chosen often.   maybe a handle would help bowl sales?

Ooo fancy!

I have trimmed all but the last 20, which hopefully won't be too hard by the time I get to them tonight.

Edited by liambesaw

Throwing some more glass molds today,  I nearly have a kiln filled with them.    I have my firing scheduled figured out finally for the glass.   Turns out making a inch thick disc shape out of recycled glass is very difficult to do.   I have a 11 hour firing schedule for it,   most of the time is spent holding at certain temperatures for a hour or more.   The thicker the glass the longer the annealing takes,  I don't have a computerized kiln so I spend the the whole day with the kiln and my pyrometer.    I could have bought fritted glass that is easier to fire and at a much lower temperature but I wanted to do something with recycled glass.   Denice

I  don't know if a photo will be able to show the effect I am getting with the glass.   I am making the molds with the bottom surface with a throwing rings and a broken area where a hand  blown bottle would have  been broken off of the blow rod.   The glass that is against the mold comes out a satin matte finish,  the glass on the top is very glossy.   When you hold the glass up to a light and look through the  glossy top you can see the pattern from the mold.  So far the glass is firing very clear with a few small bubbles,  The bottle pattern looks like it is floating in the thick glass has almost a eerie feeling.    The glass is turning out better than I expected,  I may have to put a spot light on it at night to get the full effect after the sun has gone down.     Denice

17 minutes ago, Hulk said:

Like your adjustable pointer, also the inverted for drying choice, which slows drying at the vulnerable rim, and exposes the thickest part - da footring - to speed drying there, whilst capturing atmosphere within, to temper/slow the overall rate (haven't watched the vid yet :O )...

Yeah as soon as they are stiff enough to support being flipped over they get flipped over.  I did speed dry them outdoors with a fan so I could wire them off and reuse the bats (I only have 36 bats).  Worked out pretty good and I only killed 3 of them while trimming heh.

Back from big successful show and taking 12 days off to finish remodel -siding up on last wall-need to paint it soon before the weather changes. Hook up hot and cold water copper lines and waste lines for 1/2 bath and  also hook up 3 forced air heat vents and trim out one closest and hang a wall hung toto toilet and hook up sink facuet and drian and supply lines-also drain line for mini split need installing -I should get this all done in next 12 days.then its back to gallery orders for fall-and a larger wholesale order as well.I only have one local private sale left this year at xmas

Edited by Mark C.

6 hours ago, Mark C. said:

Back from big successful show and takling 12 days off to finish remodel -siding up on last wall-need to paint it soon before the weather changes. Hook up hot and cold water copper lines and waste lines for 1/2 bath and  also hook up 3 forced air heat vents and trim out one closest and hang a wall hung toto toilet and hook up sink facuet and drian and supply lines-also drain line for mini split need installing -I should get this all done in next 12 days.then its back to gallery orders for fall-and a larger wholesale order as well.I only have one local private sale left this year at xmas

Holy cow mark, you never stop do you?

I spent this weekend building a work table / fume hood for my work with soluble salts and lustres.  Sulphur, and mercaptans (thiols) are part of synthesizing a lustre overglaze and these are some of the smelliest compounds on earth.  I did an open air run of some palladium mercaptan a few weeks ago and you could smell it from blocks away.  I decided instead of subjecting my neighborhood to a somewhat regular barrage of rotting smells that I'd go ahead and do it proper.  A 350 cu ft per minute fan pulled through an activated carbon filter rated to match.  It won't get rid of the smell entirely but will trap a lot of it.

At least that's the hope.  This combined with an acid gas face mask will hopefully keep me better protected from hydrogen sulfide and other byproducts that are unhealthy to breathe as well.

I know it's pretty janky as far as lab equipment is concerned but it actually works so I consider it a win!

IMG_20191013_160353-1209x1612.jpg

I have been glazing and firing bowls all weekend, no surprise. 

But today I am making a few carafes for a company on the east coast to see if they'd like to do business with me.  Just a little commission gig to get some money flowing.  Supposedly 20 a month at 40 a piece, that's at least enough spending cash to buy more clay and feed my real addiction lol.  

1 hour ago, Babs said:

Good luck Liam!

Do the have to contain an exact amount of fluid?

Friend was making 1litre port bottles with elaborate label...clay sprigged on. She nailed it for years. Hot summer temps sent her crszy though

I was sent exact dimensions and product photos.  If they like the prototypes they'll send some finished examples so I can see more closely.  I've already thrown 4, have thrown spouts and pulled handles so I should have some finished by tonight.  

Wow those are awesome, @Min!

Today I mixed glaze (folk art guild white) and made soaps of metal salts for lustre experiments.

While I was mixing glaze, I grabbed a bag of spodumene, unrolled it, measured out the spodumene, and while I was rolling the bag back up, OUCH WHAT THE #&%@!  

Got stung by a hornet that decided to hibernate in the folds of my spodumene bag.  So that was fun!  The hazards of mixing glaze that no one talks about.  Now my middle finger is swollen up, which could be advantageous if I run into someone particularly disagreeable.