What’s on your workbench?

My tile project is sitting half finished on my work tables.   We decided to take a vacation in Colorado last week,  while we were there my knee decided to pop out of place.  We went to the hospital and home the next day.   I have been sitting around with ice on my knee for a week now,  it is getting healed.  I think I will be able to get back in my studio next week.   Denice

Just inquiring about the whole inkjet fired on decals, wondering if anyone has found a supplier in 
Canada?  I've used these decals before and they work SO well, I would really love to find a supplier that's not involved with the patent conflict.  So sad that DecalPaper.com is no longer available.

1 hour ago, jannpratt said:

Just inquiring about the whole inkjet fired on decals, wondering if anyone has found a supplier in 
Canada?  I've used these decals before and they work SO well, I would really love to find a supplier that's not involved with the patent conflict.  So sad that DecalPaper.com is no longer available.

Lots of waterslide decal paper on Amazon and AliExpress

17 minutes ago, Bill Kielb said:

Never ordered from AliExpress, any feedback?

It's got a ratings system like amazon or eBay, not sure how trusted it is, but I've ordered glaze chems for experiments and it's fine, I ordered some waterslide decal paper a few weeks ago and it comes today or tomorrow.  Not sure about quality or anything like that, but if you see some cheap Chinese thing on Amazon or eBay and want it for half the price, just check there first and I'm sure it'll be there.  Of course shipping is from China so it takes a few weeks.  It's like dealextreme but for everything, not just electronic components.

2 hours ago, liambesaw said:

Lots of waterslide decal paper on Amazon and AliExpress

So far, I've only found inkjet decals that are not for firing on, and fired decals that are only for laser printers.   For the latter, only black and white printers, and only Canon or HP printers can be used.  Anybody else tried other printers, or tried firing the non-fire inkjet ones?

1 minute ago, jannpratt said:

So far, I've only found inkjet decals that are not for firing on, and fired decals that are only for laser printers.   For the latter, only black and white printers, and only Canon or HP printers can be used.  Anybody else tried other printers, or tried firing the non-fire inkjet ones?

Oh I didnt cAtch the inkjet part, yeah I don't know of any ink that can be used in a kiln.  The laser ones work because black toner is a plastic powder colored with Fe3O4.  In the kiln the plastic burns out leaving only the faint oxide layer.  It turns back to Fe2O3 which is red iron oxide when heated in the presence of oxygen.

Inkjet printers use a tiny film to print onto paper so I dont know if it would even be possible to print oxides in ink. 

5 hours ago, liambesaw said:

Oh I didnt cAtch the inkjet part, yeah I don't know of any ink that can be used in a kiln.  The laser ones work because black toner is a plastic powder colored with Fe3O4.  In the kiln the plastic burns out leaving only the faint oxide layer.  It turns back to Fe2O3 which is red iron oxide when heated in the presence of oxygen.

Inkjet printers use a tiny film to print onto paper so I dont know if it would even be possible to print oxides in ink. 

I have used inkjet decal papers with great success in the past, but no one seems to sell them anymore, all laser printer decal paper now, and not that easy to find Canon or HP laser printers that only print in black and white.  They seem to be the only ones that have the right kind of toner that allows the ink to melt into the glaze at cone 04.  (The toner in colour printers doesn't have enough iron in it.)  Used to get them through DecalPapers.com, but that website is closed now.  Has anyone had any success using laser printers that are not HP or Canon?

On 5/1/2019 at 4:30 PM, liambesaw said:

This week I haven't done anything out in the shed but trim some fermentation jars (and feel guilty about it).  Instead I've been hunched over a computer and camera trying to get everything squared away for my business and website.  I have my photo booth almost all squared away, need to pick up some posterboard tonight and really start photographing everything.  Wish I could just make things and let them disappear on their own, hah.

Anyway, here's a picture.  I was using this mug to dial in my camera and lights.

LRM_EXPORT_644260094415229_20190501_130446962-1536x1025.jpeg

If that is sunlight coming through the windows, cover the windows with a white sheet. The room may look too dark, but let the camera compensate for that with a longer exposure. You can also try a light mist of Dulling Spray (available at photo stores or Amazon). Nice use of depth-of-field (or purposeful lack of), 

Edited by GEP

4 hours ago, GEP said:

If that is sunlight coming through the windows, cover the windows with a white sheet. The room may look too dark, but let the camera compensate for that with a longer exposure. You can also try a light mist of Dulling Spray (available at photo stores or Amazon). Nice use of depth-of-field (or purposeful lack of), 

I took them outdoors today because it was cloudy, I think this one is a little better

LRM_EXPORT_785256087739117_20190503_113635060_crop_620x460.jpeg

1 hour ago, Benzine said:

People do sales on Reddit?!

Heh, not direct sales!  I've been contacted a few times now after posting pictures there for someone to buy mugs, I'll take it.  Heck, I even have made a sale from imgur

Edited by liambesaw