What’s on your workbench?

Well I only finished 15 bowls, but I got distracted.  A co-workers wife wanted to know if I could make a strawberry planter so I am giving it a shot.  I think I should have used more clay, I used 15lbs but it seems small to me, I'm gonna be throwing the bowls for the side tonight and attaching them and see how it goes.  Might be able to get some of that Microsoft money I've heard so much about around here! Hah

I will say, I wouldn't have been able to do this on my old wheel, I had to stand up to pull on this one, it was 2 feet tall at one point!  Loving my new wheel

IMG_20190329_004911-1209x1612.jpg

Edited by liambesaw

1 minute ago, oldlady said:

looks good!   and, just think, you get to clean up a splash pan that is easy to clean!   woohoo!

My goodness it's so easy, lift up the wheelhead and pick up the pan like a bucket and dump straight into the reclaim.  Before I had to haul a bucket over and scoop everything out one handful at a time.  

Now I'm self conscious about my splash pan hygiene haha, I thought everyone's looked that bad after a session! :wub:

1 minute ago, oldlady said:

i gave up using red clay because of the mess.   i could not get it out of my many wrinkles without bleach.   white clay is so much neater,   (unless you put the throwing water on top of the wheelhead and accidentally hit the pedal.)   do not ask how i know this.

Haha, yeah I've had my own runaway wheel issues!  My hands are stained red, going to be awkward if I ever get caught committing a crime.

On 3/30/2019 at 9:32 PM, liambesaw said:

Finally got the side bowls on, I'm pleased with myself.

Now to see if it survives drying and firing ha

I also made myself a new wedging table today, my old setup was a little too high for me and was making my back hurt.

IMG_20190330_181038_crop_785x745.jpg

IMG_20190330_193440-1209x1612.jpg

A chip jar, with a place, for THREE different types of dip!  Brilliant!  

I might bisque it this weekend, i might end up candling it overnight though, it's pretty thick since it's a planter.  I'd say almost a half inch on the bottom, sides are more like a quarter inch.  Looks dry though!  I have a group of larger pots, hopefully I can fire them all at once.

Got another commission today, besides the strawberry planter.  This one is for a big boy cereal bowl.  Supposed to be between a mixing bowl and a normal cereal bowl.  Pretty confident I can nail that one, haha

Unloaded second glaze firing Sunday last, looking forward to th' third!

From top left, clockwise

Some bmix bowls, teal blue, light blue gloss, variegated glazes; chattering highlighted with underglaze and/or glaze, clear over. Clear glazes crazed on every bmix piece except one, :(; the other glazes behaved well, except the light blue crazed some over bmix

Some red clay pieces, teal blue, variegated, white, faux celadon and clear glazes, chattering highlighted with underglazes

bmix  bowls, light gloss blue over bmix

Closeup of variegated over red clay; looks bluer over white clay. I love this one - from Bill van Gilder's book (the blue teal is from his book as well*)

Closeup of faux celadon over bmix, same highlighted chattering; this is variation of Marcia's recipe

The lessons, so far, fairly typical

sieve them glazes

adjust sg and jellyness of glazes to hit thickness without running and dripping

cone pack on each level

be able to see the cones when approaching target temp

be careful loading and unloading

toss flawed pieces into recycle pile - don't let them take up time, nor space

don' expect glaze that fits this clay ok to also fit that clay :|

test test, learn learn, repeat

*I'll post recipes if anyone's interested

2nd fire.jpg

Edited by Hulk
becaz

On 4/5/2019 at 7:24 PM, LeeU said:

Thought it was a strawberry planter....or are you making a funny? ;)

I'm generally just being funny...

I actually wasn't sure what it was.  I had never heard of a strawberry planter.

@Hulk Those are very nice works.  Far better, than my second batch of glazed wares...

I like the bottom of the bowls.  They resemble those plastic speckled bowls, faded in popularity, but have now come back, partially due to Rachael Ray using them, on her show as "Garbage Bowls".  My family had a large one growing up, but we called it a "Puke Bowl", partially due to it's coloring, partially due, to what it was used for, when someone was sick...

On 3/31/2019 at 1:02 PM, liambesaw said:

Finally got the side bowls on, 

IMG_20190330_181038_crop_785x745.jpg

Liam the strawberry pots here are same profile but the "sidebowls are made by slitting the big pot and working the clay below the slit into a bowlish shape.

Saves a lot of joining.

Gave my last one away or I'd post.

Found them better for succulents in this hot dry area as Strawbs like moisture.

Great looking wheel. Now...the height of that seat..though your height'll keep the body flexible!