What’s on your workbench?

Hi folks, 

I have been doing some thinking about the white liner glaze that I have been dipping the hazelnut and the white clays in before spray glazing. So I decided to try a piece without glazing the whole piece in the white glaze, just the inside and neck. I think you can see the difference. Seems like to me, the white is bleaching out the cream rust glaze here, pieces I had sprayed with the cream rust, the variegated blue and the rutile green would always be more blue and green. Interestingly enough, the hazelnut pieces would have more browns in them. 

VaseWoutbasewhitebottom2.JPG

best,

Pres

7 hours ago, Pres said:

Hi folks, 

I have been doing some thinking about the white liner glaze that I have been dipping the hazelnut and the white clays in before spray glazing. So I decided to try a piece without glazing the whole piece in the white glaze, just the inside and neck. I think you can see the difference. Seems like to me, the white is bleaching out the cream rust glaze here, pieces I had sprayed with the cream rust, the variegated blue and the rutile green would always be more blue and green. Interestingly enough, the hazelnut pieces would have more browns in them. 

VaseWoutbasewhitebottom2.JPG

best,

Pres

Nice piece 

Well I did my farmers market today, got out in the sun and got a lot of sketching done :/

Made 55 dollars, which was more than i was expecting since this was a 20 tent market and I was one of two Craftsmen there.  

luckily the booth fee was only 10 dollars!

man there are some really weird people out there...

Guy to the left of me was selling bleach water (FOR DRINKING!!!) and the booth across from me was selling essential oils... Don't these people know how dangerous those things are!? :lol:

IMG_20190731_160853-1008x756.jpg

IMG_20190731_160857-1008x756.jpg

IMG_20190731_160848-1008x756.jpg

MVIMG_20190731_154449-1008x756.jpg

19 hours ago, Callie Beller Diesel said:

@liambesaw.  Liam.  My friend. Those prices, man. We need to talk!

Indeed!! Even at the most modest venture, those prices are nuts! Not to get too philosphical, but such under-valuation may call into question the integrity of clay art everywhere! Raise 'em up, Liam, raise 'em up! 

@liambesaw, the way I see it, it’s much better to start out with low prices, and raise them if the pots are flying off the shelf. Compared to starting out with overpriced pots, and having to lower the prices. Especially at a recurring market like a farmers market, where the same customers are going to see the evolution of your prices. 

Also, don’t let others pressure you into raising your prices. Especially from across the internet. We don’t know the area where you’re selling. Every location has different market forces. Base your pricing decisions on how fast your pots are selling. 

From across the internet, I can’t judge the weight and balance of your pots. But from what I can see, your pots are very attractive and of good craftsmanship. So present them with a sense of respect, not like bargain fodder. Which is related, but not specifically the same thing, as the number on the price tag. 

This market is a good choice for your first attempt at fair selling, due to its low booth fee. You can continue to do it this summer for the experience, but I would also start looking for something that is a step up. Where you won’t be selling pots next to snake oil. 

Edited by GEP

4 minutes ago, Pres said:

Liam

Getting behind on documentation is one of my worst bads! Seems like there is never enough time.

best,

Pres

Well I usually take kiln opening pictures but for some reason this load fired a little hot and I had a lot of pluckers but the shelf of lidded jars was fine.  So I was a little demotivated and then I had the farmers market the next day so I just went about getting ready for that and totally spaced the pictures.  Oh well!

Been making a bunch of these 8lb vases instead of making things that will actually sell.  Cant help myself, I just love making them.  

I made a handful of little lidded jars last night to replenish the ones I sold though, so I still did something.

PhotoPictureResizer_190805_203616346_crop_3225x2419-1290x968.jpg

Edited by liambesaw

• 3 weeks later...

Just been doing some experimenting since I have plenty of bowls, mugs, spoon rests, etc.  I'm thinking about entering our local guilds call for entry, it's the annual teapot show.   I had a dream about something like this so am trying to get it right.  This is the second prototype and it's getting closer.

Also been making taller two part vases, but the problem is my kiln is only 18 inches deep and 23 inches wide so i can't go too big.  This vase is 20 inches tall wet, hoping it fits and fires on its side ok.

IMG_20190829_002655-1209x1612.jpg

IMG_20190829_002726-1209x1612.jpg

I am throwing molds for casting glass in,  I need around 65 of them and I am at the half way point  today.    My shelves are over loaded,  I need to do a bisque firing.  Stuck at home my husband had colon surgery a couple of weeks ago and has two more weeks of recovery to go.   We got the biopsy yesterday no cancer but has the DNA for colon cancer  so he'll have to be checked every year.  Modern medicine is amazing they can cut something out with a Robot, stitch it up and send you home the next day.   I can't even make a pot in that amount of time.   Denice

1 minute ago, Denice said:

I am throwing molds for casting glass in,  I need around 65 of them and I am at the half way point  today.    My shelves are over loaded,  I need to do a bisque firing.  Stuck at home my husband had colon surgery a couple of weeks ago and has two more weeks of recovery to go.   We got the biopsy yesterday no cancer but has the DNA for colon cancer  so he'll have to be checked every year.  Modern medicine is amazing they can cut something out with a Robot, stitch it up and send you home the next day.   I can't even make a pot in that amount of time.   Denice

Isn't it?  A family friend just had her knee replaced.  They cut her bad knee out. Cemented a chrome-cobalt knee in, stitched it up and they had her walking stairs 6 hours later.  Ridiculous

My shelves are filling up with green ware too - gotta bisque soon! ...made some room, drilled all the crazed stuff, put'm outside on the potting shelves (potting of plants) with raised bed mix + sand and succulent starts, aah, better! ...the repurposed crazies are mixed in with another project - cuttings and rootlings from front yard favourites for after the decimation to come, new septic tank and leach field. I plan to bury a few pots next to the new tank for the space alien archeologists to find in the far someday o' th' future.

Best wishes for your husband's complete recovery Denise!

...note to all anywhere near fifty, don't put off your scope session!! And for those +fifty, don't put off your follow up scope sessions!

crazed and such.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

What's on my workbench? Nothing.  There is no worktable at the moment. Up until today--2 days before, 1 day of, and 3 days after the non-even craft fair, it was not available.   It has finally made it into the studio now, though half of the bins of the pieces are still in the trunk. The little sidewalk fair was fun-ish, at least talking with the other vendors who weren't selling anything either (no traffic). Not so great for the back/hip, so in the future I'll only be participating in venues that provide tables, however few that may be. And, DUH, I can't do anything, really, without my work table actually being in the studio, so there's that lost time as well!  Maybe tomorrow I can get up the steam to put my work space back together.  :rolleyes: Updated, the last 2 pics-a day later- got my table back up, yay me for not procrastinating and laying about all day watching Nothing Gold Can Stay--an addictive Amazon series, just FYI.  

20190907_144922.jpg

20190911_154857.jpg

20190911_205118.jpg

20190912_164854.jpg

20190912_172437.jpg

Edited by LeeU