What’s on your workbench?

• 4 weeks later...

Awesome!

Been making masters for molds recently.  The news said that booze, coffee and cannabis are the local big recession proof markets that are booming right now so I've been trying to adjust and capitalize.  Plus my pourover carafes which for some reason I haven't taken pictures of recently.

large.20200309234323_IMG_0304.jpg.9b6cf4dc442acd84f54d594963816507.jpg

image-20200319_234415_copy_756x1008.jpg

Work in progress, mugs for a soda firing that is postponed. Flashing slip sprayed on then bisqued then underglazed, complete with pencil lines and wax resist over the underglaze brushwork so kind of messy looking. Getting boxed up today and put away until who knows when to be fired.

IMG_3150.jpeg.6195acccccabb13c9d7edc00d639cd4c.jpeg

Not on my workbench, but next to my workbench. Yesterday I finished up redoing my kiln venting system, and cleaned out the kiln area. What a mess it was! The old duct was in bad shape, and the motors were shot. Back when I moved into this space in 2008, I had them put in an 8" duct in the roof, which would give me plenty of options for the future. An 8" duct can go down to two 6" ducts, which can each go down to two 4" ducts. So for this setup I've got two new downdraft vent motors mounted to the wall. They can each run up to 20 cubic feet of kilns, so I've got both attached to my big kiln, and the medium kiln shares one of them. The black ducts are Blo-R-Vac hose, which you can get at McMaster Carr. It's got a metal coil in it so it can't be easily crushed, and it's pretty much impervious to corrosion. It's rated to 250F, about 100F above the temp of the air going through it. The extra 6" duct at the top will be getting an inline 400cfm fan to pull some heat out of the space. I've never had a fan in there before, but I thought it would be nice in the summer to pull some of the heat out of there. I'm still waiting for the fan to arrive from Amazon.

IMG_20200321_144604_077.jpg

14 hours ago, neilestrick said:

Not on my workbench, but next to my workbench. Yesterday I finished up redoing my kiln venting system, and cleaned out the kiln area. What a mess it was! The old duct was in bad shape, and the motors were shot. Back when I moved into this space in 2008, I had them put in an 8" duct in the roof, which would give me plenty of options for the future. An 8" duct can go down to two 6" ducts, which can each go down to two 4" ducts. So for this setup I've got two new downdraft vent motors mounted to the wall. They can each run up to 20 cubic feet of kilns, so I've got both attached to my big kiln, and the medium kiln shares one of them. The black ducts are Blo-R-Vac hose, which you can get at McMaster Carr. It's got a metal coil in it so it can't be easily crushed, and it's pretty much impervious to corrosion. It's rated to 250F, about 100F above the temp of the air going through it. The extra 6" duct at the top will be getting an inline 400cfm fan to pull some heat out of the space. I've never had a fan in there before, but I thought it would be nice in the summer to pull some of the heat out of there. I'm still waiting for the fan to arrive from Amazon.

pretty spiffy
Since you have two discharges connected to one common pipe, it is possible that with one fan on and the other off exhaust could  be pushed through the inoperable blower aided by the air that is already being sucked out of the room. No worries though, normal design for this is a simple backdraft damper in each discharge if this ever becomes an issue.
I need to mention though as It may become more significant after you add the 400 cfm room exhaust.

Interesting cap  btw, looks  neat, how do you turn them on and off.?

Edited by Bill Kielb

6 hours ago, Bill Kielb said:

pretty spiffy
Since you have two discharges connected to one common pipe, it is possible that with one fan on and the other off exhaust could  be pushed through the inoperable blower aided by the air that is already being sucked out of the room. No worries though, normal design for this is a simple backdraft damper in each discharge if this ever becomes an issue.
I need to mention though as It may become more significant after you add the 400 cfm room exhaust.

Interesting cap  btw, looks  neat, how do you turn them on and off.?

Yeah, I though about that but figured I could add backdraft dampers later if needed. It was never an issue on the old system, but we'll see what happens once the big fan is installed. I don't love the idea of using them because I'm sure they'll get corroded and stop working pretty easily. The cap on the 6" is a standard cap but it's really old and rusty! There are just toggle switches on the power cords.

4 hours ago, neilestrick said:

Yeah, I though about that but figured I could add backdraft dampers later if needed. It was never an issue on the old system, but we'll see what happens once the big fan is installed. I don't love the idea of using them because I'm sure they'll get corroded and stop working pretty easily. The cap on the 6" is a standard cap but it's really old and rusty! There are just toggle switches on the power cords.

FYI They do make plastic counterweight dryer duty dampers. I don’t really like them either though.  

As long as there is no bird screen on the exhaust, your chances of obstruction are minimal and you might be able to sequential stack two 45 degree take offs (on the same vertical axis) to minimize the chance of this. At that point the bottom of the eight inch becomes a clean out. This is common  in multi family and community dryer installations.

Just a thought for future.

5 minutes ago, Bill Kielb said:

FYI They do make plastic counterweight dryer duty dampers. I don’t really like them either though.  

As long as there is no bird screen on the exhaust, your chances of obstruction are minimal and you might be able to sequential stack two 45 degree take offs (on the same vertical axis) to minimize the chance of this. At that point the bottom of the eight inch becomes a clean out. This is common  in multi family and community dryer installations.

Just a thought for future.

I see what you're saying. I hadn't though of that. I'll see how this goes and make changes later if needed. The big fan will only be running when both vent fans are on, so backdraft will only be an issue when the small kiln is running solo.

@Bill Kielb I just did a smoke test, and not only is there not backdraft between the two 4" line, there's actually draft  from each line when the other is on. So that's all good. We'll see if that changes at all when the big fan is installed. If it is, I can just install a 45 degree takeoff higher up ad keep the 6" with the cap as a cleanout.

24 minutes ago, neilestrick said:

@Bill Kielb I just did a smoke test, and not only is there not backdraft between the two 4" line, there's actually draft  from each line when the other is on. So that's all good. We'll see if that changes at all when the big fan is installed. If it is, I can just install a 45 degree takeoff higher up ad keep the 6" with the cap as a cleanout.

Nice! Good test. At some point if you are in need I have the test equipment to measure this stuff and have the data of several measured factory functional systems. It’s impressive how little air flows through these things. In the winter this may down draft till  you warm it, but  no worries, you will figure it out.

We are geographically close and you are welcome to use  the test equipment and  have the typical operating data if you ever have a need.

37 minutes ago, Bill Kielb said:

Nice! Good test. At some point if you are in need I have the test equipment to measure this stuff and have the data of several measured factory functional systems. It’s impressive how little air flows through these things. In the winter this may down draft till  you warm it, but  no worries, you will figure it out.

We are geographically close and you are welcome to use  the test equipment and  have the typical operating data if you ever have a need.

Thank Bill! I'll keep that in mind. My 6" fan will be here next week, and I'll post the results.

OH snow -well I like snow and this is how I like mine-1st it falls in some place that has rath for winter months long cold dark snowy nights. It melts and flows down rivers to the sea. This is where the process I like begins. That water is diluted with salt water and the ocean currents slowly take it towards the warmer latitudes where it slowly warms to the right temps-say about 82 degrees -then slowly tropical fish as well as other inhabitants take over and make it thier home-corals and such. My snow is shaded by a plam tree on white tropical sandy beach. Thats how I like my snow.-No shovel needed but fins and a mask will help as well as a snorkel.An underwater camera is the right tool in my snow world.

4 hours ago, Mark C. said:

OH snow -well I like snow and this is how I like mine-1st it falls in some place that has rath for winter months long cold dark snowy nights. It melts and flows down rivers to the sea. This is where the process I like begins. That water is diluted with salt water and the ocean currents slowly take it towards the warmer latitudes where it slowly warms to the right temps-say about 82 degrees -then slowly tropical fish as well as other inhabitants take over and make it thier home-corals and such. My snow is shaded by a plam tree on white tropical sandy beach. Thats how I like my snow.-No shovel needed but fins and a mask will help as well as a snorkel.An underwater camera is the right tool in my snow world.

Interesting! There are folks in the northern latitudes that swear as the snow disappears even while its technically too cold to do so is simply sublime!

Here is a photo my wife took back in February  2017 in Indonesia of snow the way we like it along with a snow suit and required snow gear to enjoy the snow.Once you experience snow like this you to will like snow better this way.

IMG_2939.jpeg

Edited by Mark C.
photos removed as I'm over my limit

"...thick bats, hulk, what are they made of?"

5/8" powder board of some kind, finished with oil stain, then spar varnish, made up three square ones, three big circles, and three more circles of 3/8 material, these are my fav bats for just a few no hurry pieces; when feeling more "productive," will roll with plaster bats.

Excepting six years in Sierra Nevada foothill town - a few snow events almost every year - over fifty years removed from real snow, not missing it much, however, fond memories of my brother catching my eye as he initiated a furious snowball war (half hour drive uphill from Paradise, alla snow one could wish for), culminating in perfectly timed duck as he sprinted across the field, hence my fastball caught the b in law flush against the side of his ******* head, priceless, ahem. I prefer my snow brewed into IPA, heated for shower water, circulating in the lap pool, bubbling in the hot tub, a left on Left Spot...

Aforementioned brother, pulling our friend Gwen (rip); myself and big brother; the bunny hill in Italian Alps, Jan '64, a somewhat dry winter, if me recall ...my brother showed me how much faster lying down on the sled is, aero an' all that, hence, took a running start and bellied it, however, having not yet learned how to effectively brake and/or bail, hurtled through the snow fence (off to the left in the panorama pic) and was tackled by a friendly Italian man and ground to a halt some twenty feet from the precipice. He walked me over so I could see the thousand plus drop to rocks below, then instructed me in sled braking and kindly pointed out how much heavier than my brother I am, "...ti piace la pizza" (you like the pizza, eh)? You gd right I do I said - oh, we laughed! How I blushed, din' expect that he spoke the English, which he did, perfectly.

alps 64.jpg

Edited by Hulk
punk too aye shone

I don't have any snow views but I do have a field across the street full of wild life.  It is turkey mating season, the male puts on a nice show but you can tell that the female is the boss.   I finally finished  glass casting done,  it is time to start assembling and mortaring everything in place.  That will have to wait until better weather.   My husband has started working on the basement,  it is unfinished so wiring,  plumbing, framing and sheet rocking needs to be done.  He has finished the storage room and wood working shop and is working on the bathroom now.  I need to make some more tile for the shower,  he changed the design and made it larger.   I have the clay and glaze ready,  I just need to start  rolling and cutting.   We are lucky we both have plenty of projects to keep us busy during the next three weeks of shelter at home.     Denice