What’s on your workbench?

Welp, got my papers today and I'm officially laid off!  

Starting tomorrow I will be a full time potter for the first time in my life.  But will I be throwing pots?

NO!

My first day as a full time Potter will be spent cleaning, organizing, and basically doing all of the things I should have been doing instead of throwing pots for the last 6 months.  I'll be setting up my studio to be a hybrid potters studio slash live streaming studio.  The racks outside next to my kiln will be cleared off, items tagged and boxed into totes, inventory taken, pictures taken, and inventory added to my store.  

It's time to get serious because I may be out of work until halfway through May.  It's time to make the best of the situation and treat this as an opportunity instead of a tribulation.

Once I get everything situated on the organizational end, it will be flushing out and producing a product line.  This is my life now.

Ok not on my workbench yet -but really this does not fit on any workbench.

Todays greenware load-just loaded at 7pm and candling a few hours.

This is one and a 1/3 glaze load-stacked to the moon with most forms full of other forms.Some tumbled stacked large platters and rectangle footed sushi dishes on top .I still have one more bisque like this one to do in a week as well.

Most is a future wholesale deal-no matter what the world is doing I make pottery -its what I do.

IMG_2570.jpeg

IMG_2572.jpeg

Edited by Mark C.

I've only been laid off a week and I've already pounded through 350lbs of clay.  I cleaned and organized my kiln area, got some finished stuff that's been sitting next to the kiln for months boxed up.  Finally got a bunch of greenware into the kiln and hopefully fire on Monday.  I have a bunch more stuff I want to do between now and then though.

Luckily my clay supply place is doing pickup orders now so I can just place orders and pick them up if I need to!  Our governor just locked the state down for another month, so hard times a coming!

I actually worked a full day on Wednesday, they called me in, and supposed to do another full day on Tuesday.  My unemployment claim was denied so I'm trying to figure that out as well.

On 4/4/2020 at 2:25 PM, Mark C. said:

Ok not on my workbench yet -but really the do not fit on any workbench.

Todays greenware load-just loaded at 7pm and candling a few hours.

This is one and a 1/3 glaze load-stacked to the moon with most forms full of other forms.Some tumbled stacked large platters and rectangle footed sushi dishes on top .I still have one more bisque like this one to do in a week as well.

Most is a future wholesale deal-no matter what the world is doing I make pottery -its what I do.

IMG_2570.jpeg

IMG_2572.jpeg

Think there is a bit of space top rhs :-))))

Impressive!!!

Keep safe everyone

I've been working on transferring photographic images to clay.  I've read the myriad of image transfer techniques and am fiddling with my own addition to that 

Lots of misses but a few show some promise.  I won't be able to fire until the exile is lifted. Meanwhile... more adjustments. 

Then the fun part will be placing them actual pieces.

John Blackthorn_image xfer.jpg

John Blackthorn_the dust witch xfer.jpg

yesterdays glaze loads stack and ready to fire to cone 11.

I like a lot of space so pots can BREATHE-ok its a myth at least for me in a reduction kiln-I like it packed tight. 

In the  salt kiln its more true

The little kiln a 12 cubic updraft and the car kiln a 35 cubic downdraft.

Little kiln is off now an the cone 11 is almost 1/2 and about to be shut down.

then two day cool-no rush at all for these pots now

IMG_2594.jpeg

IMG_2595.jpeg

IMG_2597.jpeg

IMG_2598.jpeg

Edited by Mark C.

29 minutes ago, liambesaw said:

Everything looks in order, permission to procede.

I just turned off the gas at cone 11-1/2 on car kiln-to late the shop has sailed . Little kiln went off at 3 pm as well. Heat wave spring day here -was 77 degrees today-darn lawn is growing again-I think I can hear it.

On 4/9/2020 at 10:50 AM, blackthorn said:

Today it rained. Yesterday it rained. Day before that,  it rained.  I like the rain but my tomatoes are treading water.

So envious of you good folk with full on studios and kilns.

I shall go now and roll another slab.

Trade you rain for snow :(

I like snow - in the winter.

On 4/8/2020 at 7:36 PM, Mark C. said:

I just turned off the gas at cone 11-1/2 on car kiln-to late the shop has sailed . Little kiln went off at 3 pm as well. Heat wave spring day here -was 77 degrees today-darn lawn is growing again-I think I can hear it.

Any chance of posting images on the finished firing?  Would love to see.

Blackthorn Yesterdays glaze loads

The 1st photo is the small updraft gas kiln the other three shots are the larger downdraft car kiln

packed up most of these pots for future wholesale order in gallery about 10 drive from here.I take them about 1/2 way down in next Month (late May ) if I'm allowed to go.

The fires turned out very well with only a few refires(3-4 pots with pits) It's pits that happen with so much rutile glaze used in a reduction atmosphere . I have learned very well how to get near 100% refires to work at this point-it all depends where in kiln they go. Working with most of the glazes for over 40 years now I can usually control how much they run. I had one runner in all these pots and it was a sponge holder fired to a hard cone 11 near burner.

Min the new Seafoam satin matt glaze came out super in the small kiln bottom (hot spot)Thanks again for that help

Glazes range from black to browns blues and greens to landscapes-shiny to matt.

I decided to work one week in clay and take the next week off and so forth to get my other projects done. Back to clay next Monday.

I unloaded on Friday  afternoon and by saturday mid day  they where all packed in boxes and accounted for.Some for wholesale otrder some for lacal supoermarkets some for a gallery when they reopen.

IMG_2645.jpeg

IMG_2641.jpeg

IMG_2643.jpeg

IMG_2642.jpeg

Edited by Mark C.