What’s on your workbench?

On 4/30/2020 at 11:05 AM, karenkstudio said:

I fired my top loading wood fire raku kiln that I made earlier this spring.  Plan to experiment with more small pieces this summer.

IMG_2749.JPG

Whatta great idea for those small bits! More details on grid material and longevity???

Ok, here's my custom swingtop lid on the growler.  Wasn't too bad!  I'm using a silicone gasket, it's a little stiff, but it holds water, is very nice and tight with a good solid click when its locked.  Basically a miniature jam jar setup.

I didn't want the typical grolsch style cap, it comes with too many design restrictions.  So I'm glad this came out well.  

Zz9FSe3.jpg

AdSyQ0W.jpg

4 hours ago, liambesaw said:

Ok, here's my custom swingtop lid on the growler.  Wasn't too bad!  I'm using a silicone gasket, it's a little stiff, but it holds water, is very nice and tight with a good solid click when its locked.  Basically a miniature jam jar setup.

I didn't want the typical grolsch style cap, it comes with too many design restrictions.  So I'm glad this came out well.  

Zz9FSe3.jpg

AdSyQ0W.jpg

Nice bending! A bit of a pain as I recall. I think you can buy that size as well (maybe) pretty cheap online. Been a long time since I ordered them. Still have ten sets for mason jars around here somewhere.

Edited by Bill Kielb

I'm too tired tonight to fool with photos, but on my workbench is an array of catchalls, tea light holders, free-form-trays, biz card holders, and various angama-fired and raku-fired wares, such as utility holders/vases.  I have to remove the masking tape with my item codes that is on the undersides for ID, and replace it with transparent tape that looks a lot better and includes the price.  There is a new artisans shop about 20 miles north of me, in a rural area on the road to the resorts in the White Mountains. I hope to have 5 shelves of space in the shop as soon as the Gov allows them to open at all. 

On 5/5/2020 at 4:26 AM, Bill Kielb said:

Nice bending! A bit of a pain as I recall. I think you can buy that size as well (maybe) pretty cheap online. Been a long time since I ordered them. Still have ten sets for mason jars around here somewhere.

Wasn't too bad, took me about 20 minutes to bend.  Direct from China the cheapest wiretop enclosures like this were 10 dollars a piece.  And then, of course, I would have had to throw them exactly to their specs minus 12.5%

Edited by liambesaw

2 hours ago, liambesaw said:

Wasn't too bad, took me about 20 minutes to bend.  Direct from China the cheapest wiretop enclosures like this were 10 dollars a piece.  And then, of course, I would have had to throw them exactly to their specs minus 12.5%

Such skill Liam. I still manage to drop pliers more times than can be tolerated.....

3 hours ago, liambesaw said:

I bend wires for work, albeit much different wire for much different purpose.

I recorded a video of me doing it on another jug, should be able to edit it in the next few days and get it up.

No teeth marks, symmetry and equal lengths. It shows. Angle cuts might be the only issue but I think I like them. Authentic! For folks that have never tried it, it does take practice especially with heavy wire.

Edited by Bill Kielb

2 minutes ago, Bill Kielb said:

No teeth marks, symmetry and equal lengths. It shows. Angle cuts might be the only issue but I think I like them. Authentic!

Beating the crap out of my hand (and my wire cutters) trying to cut this 12ga steel.  Need to get a pair with more leverage! Love my knipex piano wire cutters but they're not designed for this thick stuff

4 minutes ago, liambesaw said:

Beating the crap out of my hand (and my wire cutters) trying to cut this 12ga steel.  Need to get a pair with more leverage! Love my knipex piano wire cutters but they're not designed for this thick stuff

Lineman’s pliers! Piece of cake. All of Mine are 40 years old and I still cut 1/4” bolts with them in a pinch. Probably have four pair laying around after all these years.

9D851C1D-3C9D-4901-9256-779951B2AF39.jpeg

I mentioned in another thread a few days ago that I would be attempting to throw an extra-large planter for my patio. Here it is so far. This was a combination of throwing and coil building. 25 lbs of clay total. It is currently 17.5 inches across and 10 inches tall. No guarantees it will make it through the rest of the process. 

planter.jpg.82ccf3d1ac41ac873d14dc257e73895a.jpg

Nice piece, looks like it calls for a dolly.

I love the Speedball stool, bought a bunch of them for the HS wheels, and the flat stools for classroom stools. Later got tired of using chairs and 5 gallon cans for myself and bought the same you have. Great little stool. The Bailey wheel is also a keeper, even though I prefer a removable splash pan. That was the first wheel I bought for the HS with money from my adult classes. That was 10 years before I retired in 2009; it is still running well, and will be moved into the new HS with the 3 other Baileys I bought with removable splash pans along with the CI HP, and MP.

best,

Pres

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/7/2020 at 4:35 AM, liambesaw said:

Even better than lineman's pliers, get some mini bolt cutters. I use them for element pigtails and they are sweet.

Still making  2 inch tiles,  I was loading a glaze firing and noticed that I was low on C5 cones and the ones I had left were much smaller than the usual cone.  I fire with a Skutt thermocouple but I like to have a cone in my kiln sitter.    I picked up a box at my local supplier this morning,  they reopened Monday and were pleased with the amount of business they were getting.   My husband and I had dental appts.   this morning so we decided to find some breakfast afterwards.   We found a local restaurant with only one car in the parking lot,  had a wonderful breakfast.  This is the first time we have been in a restaurant in two months.  Our favorite restaurant was packed so just drove on by,  avoiding crowds for now.    Denice

Pres I have thought about ordering bars on line but I really feel like I should buy from my local ceramic store.   I feel very lucky to have a store nearby and want to support them and keep them in business.   When it opened in the late 60's I was in high school and bought my supplies from the  grandfather of the current owners, I was one of their first customers.     He retired and his sons expanded and kept the business running  for 40  years.     They decided to retire and their children started to work at the store a couple of years ago.   Denice

43 minutes ago, Denice said:

Pres I have thought about ordering bars on line but I really feel like I should buy from my local ceramic store.   I feel very lucky to have a store nearby and want to support them and keep them in business.   When it opened in the late 60's I was in high school and bought my supplies from the  grandfather of the current owners, I was one of their first customers.     He retired and his sons expanded and kept the business running  for 40  years.     They decided to retire and their children started to work at the store a couple of years ago.   Denice

Ask them to order you some ;)

On 5/19/2020 at 12:53 PM, Pres said:

I had a pair of cutters that work like vise grips, they cut very easily with my arthritic hands, but they were borrowed and not returned!

best,

Pres

Don't you love that!

As a longtime teacher, I'm surprised you let anyone borrow anything.  Teachers, especially Art teachers get pretty jaded about loaning stuff out. 

We usually get emails every month or two, about someone missing something that wasn't returned.  In some cases it's a very specific piece of P.E. equipment, and I'm thinking, "Who would even take that?!"

Liam I tried to get them to order a test kiln for me one time but the owner wasn't interested in ordering a brand he didn't handle.   It was a AIM test kiln that was highly recommended,  this was 20 years ago,  the store owner wanted to sell me a Paragon test kiln that looked like a enamel kiln.   I called AIM kilns and had them ship me one,  when I needed a new element I had to find it on-line.   He wouldn't help me with it,  he has always been a grouchy guy but the people that work for him are great.  He is the owner that just recently retired,  his son is just like him but his daughter is nice and friendly.   Last year I needed some more Flint Hill Buff Clay that I bought from them,  they didn't carry it anymore.   They told me who still sold the clay  and that I should call and order it from them.    Denice