QotW:What studio habits do you have that others have warned against?

Hi folks, as I have not noticed a new question in the QotW pool, I will pose one.

I have been thinking of the question last week involving studio habits that folks adhere to, and wonder about those studio habits that have been warned against.  What you say?? The idea started the other day when I carried in a box of clay to the house. Clearly printed on the box of clay is "Don not freeze" This admonition is from the manufacturer and I assume that it means that frozen clay will be no good to use. Clearly as I store all of my clay outside under my kayaks all of it freezes. I just make certain the boxes are off of the concrete on wooden risers, and that the entire kayak rack with two sea kayaks is covered with a tarp and bungeed down.  I realize that clay that has frozen needs a little TLC when it comes Spring, but I have always wedged my clay, and will continue to do so. Over the years, I have also found that the clay that has frozen and been rewedged by me seems a little more plastic, and throwable than the clay when delivered even a few months ago. Aging counts, and maybe the freezing has something to do with. I do realize that everytime it is frozen the aging has to begin at 0, but it is still better more workable clay a month after the thaws.

So my question for the QotW is: What studio habits do you have that others have warned against?

best,

Pres

Loading pots to close so they cannot (breath). In my reduction fires I pack them as tight as one can-always have. Yes in my salt kiln pots need to breath so salt gets on them but in reduction its a myth for me.

I can occasionally throw handle and fire pots same day. Its all about timing and knowing the limits of your materials and work.

Washing pots that where bisques -This I do with less than .001% of my studio production. Again only if they have months of dust on them which for me never happens. Pots are like mild around here they get processed and out the door. no need for washing .

I did wash a mug the other day as I am one handed for spell I dropped on in the glaze bucket and it need washing off and drying them reglazed and fired-that the .001% this year

I do not consider these habits but workflow

2 hours ago, Pres said:

Don't underrate coffee!

best,

Pres

I would not do that-we have burr grinder for fresh beans every day-an expresso maker -a half dozen Italiain expresso pots-drip coffee maker-a few steamers-untold drippers, aeropress for travel-a complete travel coffee making outfit for shows and on the road.A turkish brass bean grinder andbrass pots for turkish coffee (this Turkish coffee is how my brother hooked me with coffee in my 30s)-underrate coffee-never

I have told my Doc you can take everthing away except coffee

Coffee

Food and drink. I'm believing the cautions taken are sufficient. There is some dust generation - however careful I'm bein' - hence food and drink is sometimes covered, and I've a bucket of clean water just for second rinse against clay prints on things, including food. Check the handle/outside of that coffee cup/door handle/light switch - touched things. As for testing/measuring for airborne dust, still watching the horizontal surfaces for accumulation, particularly accumulation rate; interesting how it can vary, likely not all clay related, there's the usual living dust(), plus what wafts in the rollup door.

I'm not seeing any difference between aged reclaim and just reclaimed, so not aging. The clay, heh.

Having overlooked element <> ware spacing suggestions, I'm leaving more room now, but still less than what's typically recommended; am also cramming ware fairly close together in glaze fire. Interesting how the red sometimes picks up blue, am thinking from the neighbors.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a long-standing, very entrenched, habit of not making glaze notes (oh-so-sure I'll remember what went over what or under which, or what all 5 glazes I used were, or which was the low fire fired mid fire that completely washed out-who knows? -not me).  The deeper habit is that I don't care. I lose opportunities to duplicate something that came out really terrific, because I can't remember what I used, but I just fold that into my "serendipity" mindset and move on.  It's not something I want to "fix", but it is a terrible habit and I would warn others not to do it. :rolleyes:

• Pres unpinned this topic
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...