What's On Your Kitchen Table?

I picked some asparagus Sunday and mixed it with some tulips in a bouquet for my mother in-law.    She lives in a senior living facility,  they have sheltered in for 8 weeks now and not allowed any visitors.   The food is alright but they haven't had any asparagus on the menu since she moved in 6 months ago,  she loves it raw or cooked.   We watched the staff from our car gather the items to be delivered to her,  they noticed the asparagus bouquet and got the strangest looks on their faces.   She called us later and was bursting with joy over her unusual bouquet.   She is 97 and everyone thinks of her as their mother so she had received lot of candy and flowers.  She said the asparagus was the best present she had received in a long time.     Denice

• 1 month later...
On 3/24/2020 at 12:19 AM, neilestrick said:

With everyone stuck in their homes, people are spending a lot of time in the kitchen. We thought it would be fun to share what we've been cooking, and the pots that are part of the process. Please share the culinary delights you've been creating during lockdown, and the recipe!

I'll go first: I've been making sourdough bread for quite a while, but have only just become confident and competent with it in the last couple of years, thanks to Instagram and Youtube, and the wealth of information that has been shared. I make a loaf almost every week on Sunday or Monday (my days off), that I mostly use for sandwiches and panini, and on Sunday mornings I make French toast with the week old leftovers.

The loaf pictured below I just made yesterday, and it's one of the best I've ever done. I used 550 grams of flour (30% whole wheat and 70% organic white flour), 10g sea salt, 72% hydration, and 100g of 50/50 starter. I only use whole wheat in my starter. I cook my bread in a cast iron Dutch oven, preheated for 45 minutes at 450F before putting the bread in. The first 20 minutes of the bake are with the lid on, then I drop the temp to 430F until it's done, about 25 minutes more.

Most of the sourdough breads you see on Instagram are high hydration (80% or more) and have a really open crumb, which makes for great photos. But it's terrible for sandwiches because the mayo or butter or Italian dressing or whatever you like to put on your sandwich tends to go right through and get all over your hands. At lower hydration I get a tighter crumb that's still light and soft, but closed enough to make a decent sandwich.

The bowl I use to mix my bread dough is a cone 10 reduction porcelain bowl I made about 12 years ago. It has a  water etched swirl pattern and a true celadon glaze- reduced iron, not a green stain. It's slightly flawed, like many of my pots that I've kept for my own use, with a small hole in the wall from an impurity that burned out of the clay. It's a good sized bowl, big enough to be used as a popcorn bowl, and probably bigger than I need for making bread, but it's nice to have the extra space when mixing.

Loaf.jpg

Crumb.jpg

loved the bread and the beautiful bowl was that shellac resist or a wax resist ? 

• 2 months later...

Resized_20200910_093512.jpeg.26817469e7e2a00c7fc862ad04ad423f.jpegare you all eating?

This morning's bake. 

Easy cake.

Cup yoghurt

Cup SR Flour

Cup fruit...I used grated apple and added a cup..

Cup coconut

Cup, I use 1/2 sugar.

Spices of choice

Egg

Bit of milk

Some walnuts

Mix together, into tin , 350 deg till ready...woodstove here so temp and time depends.

Plate...early Babs

Slice missing...baker's nibble.

• 6 months later...
13 minutes ago, Callie Beller Diesel said:

Lunch today. Pulled pork sammies on homemade “extra toasted” pretzel buns. My plate, Noel Bailey mug that was a gift from a friend. Apple pie in the background as it turns out my 9 year old daughter has a touch for pastry. And it was Pi Day.

8AC3A96B-CD03-48F0-940C-67FF70AA9BA4.jpeg

Hey I have the same pie dish!

11 hours ago, Callie Beller Diesel said:

Lunch today. Pulled pork sammies on homemade “extra toasted” pretzel buns. My plate, Noel Bailey mug that was a gift from a friend. Apple pie in the background as it turns out my 9 year old daughter has a touch for pastry. And it was Pi Day.

8AC3A96B-CD03-48F0-940C-67FF70AA9BA4.jpeg

Yummy and beautiful pots. Do you have hakeme on outside of your plate?

• 10 months later...

Looks great,  I haven't done any cooking since I fell a couple of weeks ago.   My husband does some cooking with a little direction.   I had him bake some potatoes, throw some steaks on the grill and heat up some frozen vegetables.   He was surprised what a easy dinner it was to make.   He made biscuit and gravy this morning.  Yummy!     Denice

Hope you're recovering well and quickly Denise!

We had some oven toasted tacos (grain mixture and shredded cheese) topped with chopped parsley (farmers market) and just made guacamole (lemon and lime juice, local avocado, minced onion, minced cherry tomato from our ludicrously surviving volunteer out in the flower bed, and salt), pan seared greens, and leftover broccoli (and other veg) frittata from the day afore.

guac.JPG.5c2feb2196a7cd0b4983136b0e225d05.JPG

Edited by Hulk
salt

Looks yummy @Hulk. I usually add pepper mash and tomatillo to my guac. The Tomatillo brings out the lime, and adds another layer of flavor. The pepper mash. . . . . Yeah I love spicy. Usually made with wide range of peppers from green bell to habanero all peeled, with garlic, onion, and a little olive oil. Freeze in ice cube tray and add to anything that you want to add a little heat to. Great for chili and soups also.

best,

Pres

Luv it when threads rejuvenate. I have no table-just a prep counter, a rolling tray table in the LR, and my computer desk. This is what's on my desk: cut-up egg "cups" w/vegetables, over Spanish rice, with some cheddar cheese mixed in. Add a bit of hot sauce and enjoy. Not shown, a nice mug of Death Wish's dark coffee, hot & straight up.

20220206_102053 (2).jpg

Edited by LeeU

A diver friend called with 4 fresh crabs for us a few days ago-ate them same day they came to surface,

Live backed them and slipped and really cut my palm badly--some antibiotic cream and super glue I was able to center and throw pots the next day. These guys are tasty served hot out of the steamer with hot melted butter

Last night it was tamales another treat. Potters need to eat well.

IMG_4546.jpeg.c8a58f7cc0bce8616832792b93dd453e.jpegIMG_4547.jpeg.48eb30beb2c5653eca28ee28899807ec.jpeg

IMG_4552.jpeg

Pop (an' Grampa, Gramma, uncles...) called 'em "Humboldt" crabs; seems they are same Dungeness (aka Market) crab that we see further south.

Grampa used to pull his friend's pot and replace a few crabs with tall Coors cans.
Grandma would bring home a dozen from Katy's sometimes (she and Katy were close friends); my brother and I picked.

Cal Poly, heh, my Pop came here (San Luis Obispo, on the GI bill) for the course of study he wanted; back then, it was a loong drive back to Crannell to visit the folks. 

When we lived on Haida Gwaii we were spoiled with all the fresh fish and crab we could get. My husband and I would limit out with crab every time we went diving. At the local cannery they used a heavy flat faced tool instead of the nut style cracker. Smack the top edge of the leg sections with it and the shell splits so it’s fairly quick to get all the meat out. Still have the “crab basher” as my kids would call it.

your newspaper reminded me of a feast our gang at the office earned.  everyone ordered blue crabs except me, allergic to shellfish.  i ordered a steak.  the day was wonderful we were at the edge of Chesapeake bay at a picnic table.  two of us had the ends in chairs and the table was covered with newspapers.   the steak took forever and when the waitress set it down on the newspaper in front of me, we all realized there was no table under the newspaper.