What's On Your Kitchen Table?

12 minutes ago, Pres said:

Thanks for the tip, I will be modifying my strategy so as to try not to have the last mess I had, even though the oatmeal was extremely good. Have to also remember to cut back on liquid when adding frozen berries.

best,

Pres

You can put oatmeal in milk or water overnight in the fridge and then just microwave til it's warm.  It soaks up the water overnight and works well.  Kinda like soaking beans but not as involved

Edited by liambesaw

Rolled or "steel cut" oats, some chia and roasted sunflower seeds, a few almonds and toasted coconut flakes - toss handful inna bowl while kettle's working; walk out to garage to grind coffee beans (e'body's asleep) and check on pots; start pour over into cup; warm two small thermoses with boily hot water, then pour same into the oatmeal mixture bowl; switch coffee filter thingy to thermos when mug is full, add some whitener to coffee, aaah; put oatmeal bowl in microwave, set for a minute; watch oatmeal, for when it starts to foamy boil, that's enough - almost always less than 60 seconds; meanwhile tend the thermoses (for later on). Sit down when the thermoses are done. By the time the oatmeal has cooled some, it's ready! By then, time to warm up the coffee mug. No hurry, it's a.m. (did the same before retirement, 'cept then, at work, 1st break o' th' day, an hour or so in, ...and still nobody around, for early starter was I).

I add a spoonful of crunchy peanut butter, because I am Hulk.

Yeah I have a box of the overnight oats, will try the cold, did not think of warming it up in the micro. I am going this way as I am diabetic, and have cholesterol over 200. Thing is Dr. determined diabetes may have been a result of of the Lipitor I was on for 15 years. So not interested in statins anymore, but I have beat the diabetes with diet and exercise, and will try the same on both fronts. 

On another note, it is really nice to get into the shop with a few warmer days.

best,

Pres

9 minutes ago, Min said:

Crispy tofu marinated in dark soy sauce with lots of ginger and chili oil with sweet and sour veggies on basmati rice. Bowl is one of my dinner bowls (that we use more than dinner plates).

113275696_Imports-1of1.jpeg.fbadc5c190804aecdcab45d6562a53ee.jpeg

Holy cow that looks good! Tell me how to cook tofu like that. I've never done it, never bought tofu, but we had some a sushi place recently and it was awesome.

12 hours ago, neilestrick said:

Tell me how to cook tofu like that.

Cube 1 block (about 14oz) of extra firm tofu then lightly press it with a paper towel or teacloth to remove surface water. Toss it gently in a bowl with 1 tablespoon soy sauce (I use dark but any will work) and 1 tablespoon chili or veg oil. Leave it sit for 30 minutes or so then add 2 tablespoons cornstarch and gently toss so that all cubes are coated. Bake at 400F on parchment paper for approx 20 minutes or until it's crispy. If you have a convection setting on the oven then use that and bake for slightly less time. You can flavour the tofu before cooking with Chinese 5 spice powder, garlic powder or anything that can take the heat of the oven without burning. Once it's done toss it into your stirfry with black bean, garlic ginger, curry, sweet sour or whatever you're making. 

12 hours ago, neilestrick said:

we had some a sushi place recently and it was awesome

The go to at Japanese restaurants here is agadashi tofu. It's made with a soft tofu, I've found that type doesn't work so well for crisp baked tofu. 

I love mushrooms! This is a glazed, roasted portobella cap with deconstructed "stuffing" alongside & underneath. Glaze is balsamic vinegar with just a touch of real maple syrup and chili paste. The stuffing, made stove-top, is chopped "whatever" mushrooms, shredded carrot, minced garlic, minced onion, some yogurt and coconut flour to hold it together. A sprinkle of flax seeds on top-should be sesame seed but I'm out.  Delicious hot or cold/room temp.  Bowl is anagama fired from a couple of years ago and a little porcelain pillow for the sticks. 

20200413_211736.jpg

On 4/13/2020 at 11:44 AM, Min said:

Crispy tofu marinated in dark soy sauce with lots of ginger and chili oil with sweet and sour veggies on basmati rice. Bowl is one of my dinner bowls (that we use more than dinner plates).

113275696_Imports-1of1.jpeg.fbadc5c190804aecdcab45d6562a53ee.jpeg

What diameter is your dinner bowl?

Trying to avoid making dinner plates here

On 4/18/2020 at 11:58 AM, Hulk said:

For a break in stream of turkey and related left overs, pizza of the deepdish

dgm smaller.jpg

Is that a polenta base?

Like the plate also.

Must look out my polenta..used to make a pizza type thingie with polenta base.

Hey Babs, deep dish is fairly standard pizza dough, search "Crispy Cheesy Pan Pizza Recipe From King Arthur Flour" …aha! https://food52.com/recipes/82857-crispy-cheese-pan-pizza-recipe Next time will roll the bottom in some corn meal, let the dough age a full day, and use a bigger dish - so the dough part isn't quite that thick.

That plate is a second (bit overfired) from Heath (Bay Area); my best friend (spouse) bought a set over thirty five years ago...