What's On Your Kitchen Table?

On 3/30/2020 at 3:14 PM, oldlady said:

how do you smoke paprika?????   in a pipe???<_<

I use this stuff from Spain. I think the peppers are smoked as they are being dried. More flavour than regular paprika.

@Callie Beller Diesel, if you toss 1 or 2 ice cubes in the food processor just before it's done it makes the hummus creamier. 

On 3/29/2020 at 4:43 PM, Denice said:

Great looking jars of jelly,  I have had gooseberry jelly but have never heard of Tayberry.   What is the taste similar too?    Denice

Tayberry is a blackberry/raspberry cross, but tastes better than both.  I used to grow loganberry (same parents), but have replaced with tayberry.  I have two plants, one is spiky as Heck, the other is smooth.  The spiky one outcrops the smooth, by about 5 x.

Oh I wonder what the rich are doing tonight.

Flat bread 

Quantity of yeasted bread dough..I use german grain, multigrain mix for flours.

I add a tablespoon molasses and bit of olive oil as well

After First rise, punch down and tear/ cut into lumps. Roll out to circular shape on top of a heavily seeded flour area. I roll out onto poppy, sunflower, carraway, pumpkin, sesame. By time I've rolled out the last one..lay separately on v lightly floured area..the first ones are ready to bake. I have woodstove so I place the bread directly onto hot plate and flip after a couple of minutes.place onto clean t towel and cover...keep doing this till all breads been baked. Folk use pizza stones on barbies or heavy frypans.

I freeze in lots of 6. Can be used for quick pizza bases.

Heat slightly, drizzle a bit of olive oil and use for salad, or quick lunches.

Can be heated till brittle and used as crunchie dips..

Can roll or stretch as placed on heat to make nice and thin.

Upside down apple cake in Babs bowl

Screenshot_20200406-190943.jpg

Screenshot_20200406-190834.jpg

Edited by Babs
Forgot bit of recipe

We were quickly running out of yeast and unable to find any at a decent price.  I think the yeast on E-bay is about the same price as gold per ounce.  I noticed some San Francisco starter for sale,  my husband isn't crazy about sour dough,  I decided to do a little research.   I found a starter made with boiled potato water,  flour and a package of yeast.  I have made three loaves,  my next loaf I am adding some apple cider vinegar to it to create more bubbles in the loaf.  I am glad I hung onto my bread machine,  I bought it at a estate sale for ten dollars.   I hardly ever used it and was thinking of giving it away.  Denice

12 hours ago, Min said:

@Babs, can you share your flatbread recipe?

Not Babs but here is my Naan AKA Flat bread recipe

4 oz of buttermilk, you can substitute yogurt but you may need a little more

6 oz of AP flour

1/2 teaspoon of salt

If I'm cooking this on an outside BBQ that's all I do, If I'm cooking indoors on an electric pancake griddle I'll add a teaspoon of baking power. It isn't necessary but nice

I warm up the griddle or the grill then I add the ingredients and mix the dough until everything is combined and is still a little sticky. I cut the dough into quarters then I roll out each piece on some bench flour to about 1/8" thick.  Sometimes the dough will want to shrink back so I'll go back and roll them out a second time.  Heating up the cooking surfaces to rolling out the dough takes about the same length of time so this is quick.

Once it puffs up a little and there are some small browned areas I flip and cook the second side and take it off the heat when it puffs up more.

If you can’t find dry yeast, the fresh cake stuff is still around because fewer people are familiar with it. I think you add a bit more of it than the dry stuff and just crumble it in to the flour. The no-knead recipes also only use 1/4 tsp yeast, 3 cups of flour, 1 1/4 tsp salt and 1 1/2 cups of water.

ps: @Mark C. if you crop your photos on your phone to a square format, they don’t flip. It also can help with file size. Snapseed is a free and ad free photo editing app you can use for this. 

9404E3F7-5F74-47A3-9C61-170F6BEA7F77.jpeg

1 hour ago, Callie Beller Diesel said:

If you can’t find dry yeast, the fresh cake stuff is still around because fewer people are familiar with it. I think you add a bit more of it than the dry stuff and just crumble it in to the flour. The no-knead recipes also only use 1/4 tsp yeast, 3 cups of flour, 1 1/4 tsp salt and 1 1/2 cups of water.

ps: @Mark C. if you crop your photos on your phone to a square format, they don’t flip. It also can help with file size. Snapseed is a free and ad free photo editing app you can use for this. 

9404E3F7-5F74-47A3-9C61-170F6BEA7F77.jpeg

Wow. Love your butter dish. Never tried that...is it as fiddly as it seems?

Love the wax resist on pot behind.

@Babs They can be, but they get easier with practice. It’s a French butter dish, so the pot in front fits inside the pot in the back as a lid. You’re supposed to put a little water in the bottom of the outside piece so that when the butter part sits inside, it creates a seal that keeps the butter from spoiling. That way you can leave the butter on the counter or in the cupboard and it stays spreadable. You’re supposed to change the water every 2-3 days. If my kid is going to make bread, I’m gonna make butter dish listings online. 

I used to make French butter dishes, and they are a royal pain for the first few. A regular pain once you get used to them. I found that due to the amount of work I put into them (it's like making two pots), and having to fire them separately (again, like making two pots), I had to charge a little more than most people wanted to pay. Personally, I don't think the water is necessary, as you can leave butter sit out for a really long time before it goes bad. Plus the water drips on the table/counter when you open it up, and it's hard to remember to change the water, and the water is more likely to breed bad stuff than the butter.

I make french butter pots and fire them together as one in a glaze fire-zero issues. They are a pain to make  and weigh a ton when you have 30 in a box.

Callie I usually flip or edit them on my computer as I load all photos from there-I got lazy as I was sending lots of photos to customers and then quickly did the crab one without much thought. I never send from phone directly.Mac has a good edit program thanks

mark

Edited by Mark C.

5 hours ago, neilestrick said:

I used to make French butter dishes, and they are a royal pain for the first few. A regular pain once you get used to them. I found that due to the amount of work I put into them (it's like making two pots), and having to fire them separately (again, like making two pots), I had to charge a little more than most people wanted to pay. Personally, I don't think the water is necessary, as you can leave butter sit out for a really long time before it goes bad. Plus the water drips on the table/counter when you open it up, and it's hard to remember to change the water, and the water is more likely to breed bad stuff than the butter.

Yeh I see painful process.

Used to make pots which fitted the round plastic spread containers but when you want to spread a piece of bread , it is just another thing, eh. Then orders for broken lids....changes in container shapes and sizes..

Must be time to eat, getting cranky.

But yours are lovely Callie.

Home made bread makes the best breadcrumbs. Changes every dish which calls for breadcrumbs.. staling bread? Process and freeze bcrumbs.

We have been playing with a bit of breakfast of late, as we usually have not cooked breakfast since retiring. My wife and I would go to a Mom and Pop, drink coffee read our books and get breakfast served. Oh well, new time of late. So we started fixing egg beaters or egg whites in the microwave, there is a company out there that makes a breakfast kit including a plastic bowl, some fixings(cheese, veggies, meats) with instructions on how to fix it. Hmmm only took one time for us to realize we can do the same so much better. This was today's breakfast for me, 1/2 cup of egg beaters=two eggs, 1/2 teaspoon of garlic, onion and green pepper, a pinch of cheese. 1 1/2 minutes in the microwave, take out  fork stir, and then 1 minute more. Perfect, really fluffy eggs. I am working on the same thing with oatmeal, but still haven't figured out the perfect bowl for boil over. 

breakfast.JPG

best,

Pres

I make oat bran porridge in a 4 cup measure which has had it markings worn off.  1/3 cup oat bran plus 1 cup water makes 1 serving.  Micro on high for 1 minute, stir, micro for another minute, stir, micro for 15 seconds stir, micro for 10 sec. Sounds fussy but at 2 minutes 25 seconds it is pretty fast. This method was originally for quick oatmeal (not instant).

The oatmeal boils up fast and if you try to do the whole time at one go you will have oatmeal all over your turntable.

L

Thanks for the tip, I will be modifying my strategy so as to try not to have the last mess I had, even though the oatmeal was extremely good. Have to also remember to cut back on liquid when adding frozen berries.

best,

Pres