What’s on your workbench?

5 minutes ago, Chilly said:

Nothing, it's in the kiln ready to be fired on Wednesday.

Bought 5 pieces of greenware home from Potter's Camp.

• a couple of plates using a jigger/jolly machine, slip decorated and screen printed on, just daubed slip on the other,
  •  a couple of pressed trinket trays - rolled out clay, rolled again with icing rolling pins, cut into a curvy rectangle and pressed by wood blocks into thick foam,
  • and a paper-resist slipped, waxed, incised, cobalt-washed slab that I don't think I'll like when it's finished, but I brought it home to show others the techniques.  No point learning something new if you don't pass it on.

Similar here. Three large-ish hand-built pieces are kiln bound. I would like to do some hand-building today, but my studio adjoins my husband's wood shop, sharing the air, and he is staining and using his table saw today. So no clay  for me until he is out of there. I can plan, though.

All 21 lbs of cat, left footprints in the slab under the plastic he's laying on, maybe I'll finally make a mug for myself out of it. BTW the vet had to shave him down after a particularly bad fight hence the weird look to his coat is not my doing I swear. 

Pinky on my worktable.jpg

Edited by yappystudent

Just pulled this out of the kiln. One of my better pots with this decoration style.

39323467_338490230222067_5854598774491447296_n.jpg

Figured I would share in the joy of posting stuff on workbench! Waiting on the rest of the load to cool so I can see all the rest of it. Hopefully more as good as this one. It is nice to get a little reward before I take a long pottery break yet again to study. Hopefully I will have time to get back out in the garage and get some more work made!

1 hour ago, cml said:

@Pres Are these done on the wheel, or are they hand built? If there are wheel, how are you managing to keep such nice texture on them? Are you adding the texture when it's closer to leatherhard?

Actually the rollers and stamps are applied before shaping right after the cylinder is thrown. This expands the textures, smooths them a bit, softens edges.

No old lady, I am not getting rich, just a labor of love, wholesale, but not bad. teapots are higher return, but all in all I'll be fine. Hoping to save enough for a new L&L with controller!:huh:

Looking good Pres-I'm working on a $3,900 wholesale order myself due on the 11th-I got it last Monday.

Should help pay for my upcoming trip diving in Bali.

Those pots look great by the way-I really like the honeycomb texture. Asa you are finding out extruded handles are very strong and so much faster. Its 99% of all my handles the past 35 years. Never had a mention about folks missing the taper.

Mark,

Thank you for the kind words. . . means a lot coming from a real pro. I have found the electric extruder to be so easy to use, and I find that I use the clay a little stiffer than when pulling; it makes it easier to attach and shape without distortion. The honeycomb texture comes from an MKM rolling stamp or a simple silicone hot pad from Bed Bath and Beyond. I have found applying the textures before shaping and then using a throwing stick to shape is really pretty efficient. .. . looking like a lot more work than it is.

best,

Pres

Here's what's on mine today. In progress--carving the outer surface of what will be a lidded container, assuming all goes well. It's for an anagama fire in the fall--the clay is new to me--Sheffield's Z--which John Baymore recommended, and I just love it-can't wait to see how it fires.  I can afford maybe a half shelf, and I hope to have enough vertical pieces to get the most out of that type of fire.  The kiln, at the NHIA-Sharon Art Center was built by John & his students. I get to join in, provided there is available space, as part of the New Hampshire Institite of Art's public-access Community Education program.  Not shown is the banding wheel, a half dozen trimming tools, foam to  cushion the upside down lid w/knob, porcupine quill, hole cutter, a Chinese Lucky Cat wving his paw, and a large mug of fresh hot dark roast. 

20180826_185015sm.jpg

Pres I kept bees for 20 years so I have a soft spot for all things honey-I used to sell my honey along with pottery at shows in the early 80's. Now I trade pottery for 5gallon buckets of clover/mix honey from a larger bee producer.I use honey every day instead of sugar.

• 3 weeks later...

I have an extra day off this week, so I am exploring some of the ideas that have been rattling around in my head. If possible I like to introduce new designs at my open studio in december, which means I need to start figuring them out now.

Edit:  ....aaaand now that I’ve studied this photo a bit, I’m going to erase the “7” on the brown one, and try to put it in the right place.

1821BBB4-B915-4850-A198-FB3FBE56BAB1.jpeg.a3521985c917bf46268c380cf3de4cfa.jpeg

Edited by GEP

9 boxes (262#s)left yesterday to Harmony Ca .Another potter stopped by  on way south and is taking them for me on His way to Santa Barbara. I sweetened the deal with a 50$ bill for them for extra gas. One less thing on the bench.

Big show this weekend so bench is clear.

Another out of state show in 3 weeks so lots of greenware piling up.

My bench is clear today, having finished the pieces in prep for the pending anagama fire. I cleaned up my space, and the pile of tools, went and bought some window caddies to hold finishing materials, set up my most-used tools behind my little work slab, and finally got that annoying curtain out of my way--looks tacky, but I was in a hurry and just strung it up with those vegatable ties you get on bok choy--the poor man's Velcro LOL-works great. 

tool holders.jpg

view 9-12-18.jpg

On 9/12/2018 at 6:11 PM, LeeU said:

My bench is clear today, having finished the pieces in prep for the pending anagama fire. I cleaned up my space, and the pile of tools, went and bought some window caddies to hold finishing materials, set up my most-used tools behind my little work slab, and finally got that annoying curtain out of my way--looks tacky, but I was in a hurry and just strung it up with those vegatable ties you get on bok choy--the poor man's Velcro LOL-works great. 

tool holders.jpg

view 9-12-18.jpg

Beautiful view you have, I am jealous!

I love my view as well--it's the back end of my landlord's construction business yard, from my little rented trailor-my studio is in my former bedroom-I'm squished into the little spare room now, which is just fine. Kiln is on the back porch. 

Workspace today not as pristine as yesterday! 

20180913_120532sm.jpg