Qotw: Are You Throwing Wearing Bling Bling?

Hello my forum friends

I love that "word" - bling bling. I learned about this Hip-Hop expression listening to a terrible shrieking, also called: song (well I was tied to a chair by my nephew :rolleyes:, so I had to listen).

My question has nothing to do with Hip-Hop but with throwing on a potters wheel, or hand building. I often see videos of people throwing with rings on their fingers, bracelet and watches on their wrist or necklaces dangling inches from the wheel. Before I start in my studio, I always first have to remove every jewelry I wear, even my wedding band. I cannot work wearing bling bling.

How about you? Are you wearing jewelry while in the studio?

Carpe Diem everybody!

Evelyne 

Hi Evelyn,

I wear my wedding ring. My wife had it welded on.  <_<  :D JK. I don't think about it and for the most part I haven't had any clay rips in awhile. Besides, if I take it off, I know I will forget to put it back on. And that might get me fried. Although I have thought about making it into a nose ring.  :huh: or an ear ring. I don't wear any other bling blings.  :D

Hope you're doing well.

Never...and that goes hand-in-hand with using eye shields, masks, gloves-all other appropriate/effective protections for health, safety, and not wrecking your work. Even fingernails can wreck a piece when hit on the wrong place at the wrong time. And to say nothing of the horrors of getting some body part/hair caught in something that has moving parts! 

Hi Evelyn,

I wear my wedding ring. My wife had it welded on.  <_<  :D JK. I don't think about it and for the most part I haven't had any clay rips in awhile. Besides, if I take it off, I know I will forget to put it back on. And that might get me fried. Although I have thought about making it into a nose ring.  :huh: or an ear ring. I don't wear any other bling blings.  :D

Hope you're doing well.

Think your wife needs to talk to my husband. He's a judo sensei and can't wear rings when on the mats. His wedding ring was getting tight so in a hurry one day he took a pair of tin snips and cut it right through to get it off. Guess the look on my face was a little much, he took the ring into a jewellers and had it enlarged and repaired. I keep my wedding ring on, would never hear the end of it if now I went and lost it.

I can't wear things like rings or watches while working with clay or any kind of work. In fact there's a diamond somewhere in this basement- probably down a crack on the edge of the foundation somewhere and I've never found it. It was bling'd off while working with a sander and searching for 100 myo fossils in amber. I used to sit down here with a microscope and a bag of amber finding fossils and the amber had to be polished very well for micro-photography. Learned the hard way not to mix bling with work!

PS I found little feathers!

I used to always wear my wedding ring when working, whether teaching or creating. However, after about 25 years, it got sharp on edges where it was worn, and I took it off. I now have a newer one, we bought another pair a few years ago, and I take that one off in the shop. I also take off the fitbit that I usually wear, and as my hair is shorter than it ever was when younger, not hair band. I do not wear the hat in the shop! However, when demonstrating in Summer outside always throw wearing one. Vanity, Vanity, Vanity some would say. . . . try treating  silver dollar sized blisters after throwing in the sun for 3 days.

best, 

Pres

I always wear big earrings but since my ears don't get near the clay I've never had a problem. I don't put the earrings ON just to go into the studio, in fact if I remember that I'm wearing them I'll take them off but mostly I forget. 

I don't wear any rings, bracelets or necklaces ever (once in a while when I go out I will), and I keep my nails clipped down to almost nothing. I have very busy hands, always cooking, cleaning, washing dishes, playing with my kid, sewing, writing, typing. Add to that working with clay daily and I don't have the patience or focus to keep putting on and taking off rings and bracelets. I'm with the others who said they would just lose them. ALL. I would lose them all. LOL

Oh, and I do keep my hair back. It's pretty short though, above my shoulders. The idea of leaving long hair untied and having it wrap around and around the wheel is sickening. Better to keep it back just in case!! :( 

i used to never take off my wedding ring. now it just sits in my wifes jewelry cup. i tried taking it off and on all the time but my knuckles kept swelling, and leaving that thing on was brutal because grit would get under it and rub my finger raw. i need to sharpie a ring around my ring finger.

or tattoo a wedding ring? start a new trend

i used to never take off my wedding ring. now it just sits in my wifes jewelry cup. i tried taking it off and on all the time but my knuckles kept swelling, and leaving that thing on was brutal because grit would get under it and rub my finger raw. i need to sharpie a ring around my ring finger.

or tattoo a wedding ring? start a new trend

lol.. im not much of a trend starter. i dont know how people take their ring off and on all the time, my knuckles are nearly twice the size of my finger where the ring goes. i had to oil my finger on our wedding day so my wife could get the darn thing on at the ceremony cause we tried before a few times and it was a struggle. hahahah

I wear a small chain necklace, close to my body. It doesn't generally get in the way. Fun fact: I'm not technically married. Well, we've lived Common Law for 17 years, so I suppose that's married enough, what with 2 kids and all. It's legal enough for Rev Can.

I do wear my Oma's wedding set on my right hand, but I leave them off if I'm working in clay. I tend to put them on when I leave the house though.

I have a simple wedding band. I did remove it for about six months and my wife was bothered by it greatly. Ring on. Not in the studio though. It goes in one of two places so I don't loose it. When in community studio it goes on my carabineer key ring. It does not hinder me when throwing. It is the wedging and handling of forms in the soft to leather hard phase. Nothing like handling a few pieces and BAM little impressions in the surface.

I wear a simple gold wedding band and it never comes off... not even sure if it CAN at this point. It doesn't cause trouble most of the time, every once in a while I will be forming a piece that I have 3 fingers inside of and 2 out and the band presses against and makes a little mark.

I do wear a Fitbit unless I am throwing or handbuilding tall enclosed forms where the thing would drag along the side and cause havoc.

I wear several silver hoops at all times in my ears but so far have not stuck my head inside any pieces so they've not been a problem.

I design and wear necklaces and chunkier bracelets but not in the studio, those I only put on as I leave the house. I'm a walking billboard for those and have had people buy the piece I am wearing right off me. Weird but true.... ooo how pretty, thank you I make them... really? Can I buy? Sure go to bla bla site I have a bunch there.... no can I by THIS ONE.... umm sure? I've been wearing it and all... oh I don't care I have to have it..... ummmm okay.... Sale! The strangest things that happen.

Oh and I wear a silver ankle bracelet with a Pug on it, put it on when my first Pug died, have only taken it off for medical procedures since then. She was always at my ankle and she still is.

Terry

I haven't worn my wedding ring in years. I occasionally remember it when we go on vacation, but not usually. I used to wear a watch, and had a bowl in my studio where I put it with my keys and wallet, but I stopped wearing it years ago when I started carrying a cell phone.

I remember a workshop with Mary Law (I think- it was a long time ago) when I was in grad school, and she was on her 3rd or 4th wedding ring. She wore it in the studio every day, and eventually the gold would wear through.

Archived