All Of A Sudden My Hands Hurt!

So far I've been lucky and have had no problems with my hands or arms while throwing. I threw again on Sunday for the first time in a month and then again last night and my hands were so sore. Then it hit me. I've been doing relief work as a Pharmacist almost every day these past two weeks. I haven't been working steadily in pharmacies for many years but when someone calls and I'm available I rarely refuse. I left full time pharmacy 15 years ago because of, among many other reasons, all the long hours standing on my feet which bothered my lower back and legs.

Then I realized it today. It's all those hundreds of friggin' bottles with those friggin' safety caps that I have to constantly open and close. Luckily, tomorrow is my last day for a long time and it won't affect my throwing.

Does anyone else have any outside external influences on their hands. legs or back that affect working with clay?

Some of my family members like to golf. When the family gets together we will go to the driving range. Now I just go and watch, because if I swing golf clubs my hands hurt so bad for the next day or two and I can't get any work done. I know this means that I'm holding the golf club wrong, but no thanks I'm not interested in all the pain I'd have to endure in order to learn the right way.

Right now, it's snow, that is getting the better of me. I shall always and forever love a snowy day around our home. But, I sure could use a little bit of a break. After 6 hours of clearing snow, so that we will be able to get out of our driveway, if needs be, my back is pretty much wiped out! :wacko:

I HATE those safety caps on pills.  My hands already hurt a lot and I have trouble opening them. I had to sign some paper to get the pharmacy to give me regular caps.  So I can sure understand how doing millions of those would make hands hurt.   

I do lots of pinched forms and after a day of that my hands hurt.  I have a couple of warming gadgets that feel good on sore hands. Also paraffin bath .   rakuku

Keeping your hands warm helps-the large paraffin bath I have going and dipping a few times a day helps as well.Wearing fingerless wool gloves in winter also helps

Amy you can have any snow I'm due in my life as I feel just the opposite about the white stuff.

I get along pretty well if I stick to my MS therapy exercises but now and then I decide to try a new exercise and usually hurt myself.  I also have a paraffin bath for my hands, softens your hands if you add a little bit of mineral oil to it.   Denice

My studio is in our uninsulated cement floored garage. Normally not a problem in coastal California but the last couple weeks it's gotten down to freezing several times. My hands have been aching a lot. I was trying to figure out what was causing it, and then I went to rinse my hands in a bucket from the night before ... instantly it was like my hands had an ice cream headache. LOL I've been more careful, working out there less at night and bringing warm water from the house, and it's much better. When I get my laundry sink put in I plan to share the washer's hot water hookup. :D

I have quite a bit of pain and inflammation from fibromyalgia but it's been improving quite a bit with walking, vitamins, lots of water, lots of sleep. When I get tired I take a rest for 20 minutes. I haven't been as sore and I've had much more energy. 

I tend towards hypermobility in most of my joints, and because of this I have to be mindful of my left SI joint (the connector between spine and hip.). Stretching, and changing position every 20 minutes or so is important to my long term health. I need to do more strengthening work than I have been the last few months.

how can i manage to forget every day, EVERY DAY! to lean my hands on a wall and take the weight on them so i do not wind up with a claw instead of a hand.  when i put both hands together in the "prayer" pose the two middle fingers cannot touch each other.  i am going to go lean on the wall now.

how can i manage to forget every day, EVERY DAY! to lean my hands on a wall and take the weight on them so i do not wind up with a claw instead of a hand.  when i put both hands together in the "prayer" pose the two middle fingers cannot touch each other.  i am going to go lean on the wall now.

Exercise has to become as much a part of your day as washing, dressing, eating.  

I do my stretches halfway through getting dressed.  Lay back on the bed and stretch out my piri-formis, arm-raises, massage my finger so the ...... can't remember the word .... bump doesn't come back, stretch my toe, stand up and do some squats, walk arm up the wall, shoulder rotations ......... sometimes wonder how I manage to finish getting dressed before lunch-time !

I am an avid bowler, and bowl in 3 leagues a week. Old folks exercise, but I do love to do it. Few years back my rt thumb had a cyst and a bone spur on it at the second knuckle. Surgery and lots of recovery time caused me to be out of the shop. At the same time, we found that the bowling might have been some of the problem. Seems the drilling was causing unknown pressure on the thumb and one other finger. Part of the reason for the bone spur. I throw the ball pretty hard, and that does wear on the hand, but never had problems until then.

best,

Pres

Still being a new potter I sand out the throwing lines and the canvas impressions on slab work. This causes my hands to cramp. By the way can anybody give me a better way to slab so I don't get those yucky marks?

I use Slabmats instead of canvass; no canvass texture to remove. There are other products similar.

In general, all touch up work should be done before leatherhard. No dust to deal with when doing at bisque stage.

My bedtime reading habit! Holding up heavy library books while lying in bed makes my wrists ache the morning after, but what can you do...........it's part of my bedtime routine, and gets me to sleep.

Using my kindle is better for my wrists, but would cost a fortune. Great for travelling, but you can't beat the local public library. Luckily ours hasn't been closed in the government financial cutbacks.

Sally

Carpal Tunnel from cutting meat most of my life, but that isn't gonna keep me away from my beloved clay ( I am very bull-headed).  Hands tend to cramp, claw up, hurts sometimes, but I just take a short break when it happens.  Sallyd I lay on my belly to read in bed, and lay the book down on the corner of the bed to do my nightly ritual of reading a bit.  That may help you if you can stand to be on your belly.

My bedtime reading habit! Holding up heavy library books while lying in bed makes my wrists ache the morning after, but what can you do...........it's part of my bedtime routine, and gets me to sleep.

Using my kindle is better for my wrists, but would cost a fortune. Great for travelling, but you can't beat the local public library. Luckily ours hasn't been closed in the government financial cutbacks.

Sally

Some libraries let you borrow e-books.  Cheaper than buying.

I always hoped to return to pottery after I tried and loved it during school training but a busy family/work life made it difficult. The likelihood of returning seemed a lot slimmer after a fall resulting in my right wrist breaking in 3 places. After 5 operations spread over 3 years, I was lucky to have regained some use and movement, however, I lost some rotation, grip, strength and bone. I was apprehensive about trying throwing again as I wasn't sure if I would manage with limited use of my hand and many years of absence. I have managed, although I have had to find different methods to those I previously used, I'm thoroughly enjoying it. It's frustrating at times but I'm slowly getting there. During my rehabilitation I attended hand therapy sessions where I learnt valuable exercises which I find helpful to continue.

I tend to wedge and knead smaller amounts of clay and at present I'm only able to throw up to 5lbs but thats more a skill than an injury issue.

Whilst watching some tutorial pottery videos I felt lucky, humbled and inspired after coming across one of a talented potter throwing with only one hand! Just goes to show with determination anything is possible.

Lovely to read other potters' experiences here. Thanks for your post PRankin and all the best to you and others in overcoming challenges.

sally and kelly, i did all that for years too.  a doctor did a test showing i had mild carpal tunnel problems and prescribed a  wrist splint (?) support for sleeping.  it has helped a lot.  i do not seem to have the cramping very often and then only because i have done something stupid.  drink lots of water so you are not dehydrated because that can cause cramping.

Cooking and cleaning. Degenerative disc disease, made worse from standing and bending. I have a whole collection of recipes with only 30 minutes to prep.

Sally,

Try a firm pillow on your stomach then use a kindle case that props the book up. I've really bad arthritis in my elbow and can't keep it in a bent position.

Archived