QoTW:  following last weeks question of the week; would you give up any of the technology you use in ceramics now and go back to a simpler not as technology advanced method?

Hi folks, @Min mentioned a topic in the QotW pool about 1.5 weeks ago, about technology. Last week we came to some sort of consensus as to what technology as pertained to ceramics was, and this week we will ask Min's question.

The definition is as last edited by @LeeU:

Technology, as applied to the art and craft of ceramics, may be defined as any practical evolutionary, or revolutionary, advancement of knowledge that contributes to a ceramic process, and which utilizes a more efficient method for enhancing traditional practices, with the aid of science, a system, technique, tool, or piece of equipment. 

Min's question being:

QoTW:  following last weeks question of the week; would you give up any of the technology you use in ceramics now and go back to a simpler not as technology advanced method?

I would have a hard time imagining anything I would give up at this point. The only thing I have given up in the past was a kiln sitter, even though I did so logically as stated in previous posts. However, kiln sitters for teachers are really important, and today's programmable kilns. . . . Wow. If I were 15 years younger, I would probably have one, but for now I can muddle through without.

So what tech could you give up?

best,

Pres

@liambesaw, I am really not ready to go back to digging my own clay, mixing the clay bodies, or so much of that stuff. .. . isn't healthy either. As to my knees, @Denice, they are good, but I have found for my throwing I need the power of the CXC. Still have an Amaco kick in the basement, but never use it, and it takes up too much room in the shop.

best,

Pres

Harvesting and processing wild clay is an emerging trend; more popular than most realize. Many are processing their own silica, fluxes, etc from wild sources. Natural basalt is gaining popularity for some amazing reds. The best looking celadon I have seen is processed from natural materials. Certainly not profitable or suitable for production: although some are heading that direction. Hunting wild clay is somewhere in the panning for gold category: hoping to find the perfect pit. Firing crystalline; absolute No for me- cannot give up modern kiln controllers.

Tom

Ah went there in my response to the drawing line against technology QOW - lots of tech in my studio already that I don't want to work without; of the items listed there, media (radio, streaming audio, archived sound files) would be first tech to axe, however, I'd miss it.

...headin' out there now, for it's Morning Cup time (local public radio)!

I'm sidin' with the no.

P.S. technology advanced -> technologically advanced

55 minutes ago, JohnnyK said:

Do you and Min live near forests?

I’m on the prairie side of the Rockies, just on the edge of the foothills. A lot of movies set in Montana or Colorado are actually filmed near my city because it looks right, but the exchange rate stretches budgets further. I live in the city, but wood isn’t hard to come by. Various softwoods are plentiful just outside city limits. By fuel burning, I meant I’d be happy with a gas kiln too. Interestingly enough, because of the gas code here, it would be easier to build a Fast Freddie wood kiln in my yard than it would be to buy or build a gas kiln. 

I'm unwilling to give up my cameras, printers, silkscreen materials, and nicely fritted mason stains just to be what some might consider a purist.

Neither am I ever likely to pursue having a 3d printer for clay, so,  I'll stay right here in the middle.

Demeter.jpg

Edited by blackthorn

I'm not adverse to old tech, current tech or future tech

19 hours ago, Min said:

I live in a rainforest. I would take a picture of the coniferous tree covered mountain outside our living room window but it's raining today and not visible.

From the snow-line down to the ocean there are forests.

Nice

On 12/6/2020 at 1:21 PM, liambesaw said:

I'd go back to primitive everything if it meant I could still be a potter.   

Including this forum? :D

2 hours ago, Smokey2 said:

Including this forum? :D

Maybe!!

Its fun to watch old videos of japanese pottery villages, harvesting clay, milling it, burning rice husks, etc etc.  It's hard not to romanticize the entire process.  Would definitely do it in an instant if I was confident I could make a living doing it.  

But I can't even manage a living doing it with current technology and as a side gig so I have a ways to go. 

Maybe in the next life!

You could send me down to the river and I wouldn't even need the van!

Find a spot where the erosion already carved out most of a kiln in the bank, supreme to find an old dead hollow tree in the back to dig through as a chimney. Light a fire, dig the clay right there, paddle em up, and toss em in!

Sorce

On 12/7/2020 at 8:21 AM, oldlady said:

don't forget running hot water, heating and cooling in the studio, windows for natural light and all the basics we usually overlook because most of us have always had them.

no, i like my advantages and would not give them up.

plastics

• Pres unpinned this topic