What’s on your workbench?

3 hours ago, Babs said:

A question Neil.

Why is your splash pan full of bits of clay?

Have you thrown a few already of have you a technique for big pot throwing which makes these knobs multiply:-)))

Do you add sausages?

Nah, I just don't clean my splash pan very often. That mess is from a lot of pots.

I work with cylinders rather than sausages/coils. For these I throw a 7# base slab with a 1" tall wall, then stack two 12.5# cylinders (all while wet) and pull and shape. After it stiffens up a little bit, I add another 12.5# cylinder to finish it off. So 45 pounds total.

IMG_20210428_091955169.jpg.342cdcd408670a723966aa66a8365b4f.jpg

IMG_20210428_093058213.jpg.d805e4fb9cf7b2ae9da176942bf30598.jpg

1 hour ago, neilestrick said:

7# base slab with a 1" tall wall, then stack two 12.5# cylinders (all while wet) and pull and shape. After it stiffens up a little bit, I add another 12.5# cylinder to finish it off. So 45 pounds total.

LOL! I thought I was doing pretty good now that I can get up to around 16 lbs...

2 bags of clay, that is heavy duty man.

6 minutes ago, shawnhar said:

LOL! I thought I was doing pretty good now that I can get up to around 16 lbs...

2 bags of clay, that is heavy duty man.

They're fun to make, but my arms are killing me! 95% of what I make is under 5 pounds so this is rare. When I do these I center the 12 pound pieces in two parts- center half, add the other half, center all that. It's easier that way, and almost as fast. Saves my wrists a lot of strain. I could just muscle it all when I was younger, but now I try to work smarter when I can.

Yeah, throwing this way will wear on you. I still open up large pieces with the pounding method, it takes less energy and makes a really well compressed base. Multiple section pots are tougher on one wheel as you are always shifting the bats. One of the many reasons I miss my old HS classroom! Even though it is quieter and easier to concentrate in the studio, I miss the kids.

best,

Pres

7 hours ago, neilestrick said:

Nah, I just don't clean my splash pan very often. That mess is from a lot of pots.

I work with cylinders rather than sausages/coils. For these I throw a 7# base slab with a 1" tall wall, then stack two 12.5# cylinders (all while wet) and pull and shape. After it stiffens up a little bit, I add another 12.5# cylinder to finish it off. So 45 pounds total.

As long as the wheel turns eh?

Love them!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I did a test firing today,  love my new Caldera test kiln.    I  found the copper rod I was wanting to use in my latest mural.   I spent the afternoon making yucca flowers with backs  that can connect to the rod easily.   I am just about to lay it out and make some of the background sections.   The mural is very dimensional and has seven different clay's in it,   several types of glaze and  the copper stems.  Looking forward firing it.     Denice

Min my work table looks exactly like yours,  my  drying/wet cabinet is  filled with tile and two other work tables.   This mural is only 3x5 feet but it seems to be covering my studio.   I said this was my last mural but I am enjoying the dimensional aspect so much I can see myself making another.     Denice

• 1 year later...

In a recent QotW (2/15/24) about how often we fire our kilns, I disclosed some personal functional limitations that I'm coming to grips with, that significantly change how and what I do with clay. "The next fire is my first post-diagnosis test run--will she sink or will she swim?? The main challenge is that construction is fairly rough & funky , but I don't want the pieces to look too rough & too funky,  so I need to turn the heat up under the burner labeled "visually appealing", and pray." This is the first greenware heading into this new phase. I'll come back post-fire with the results. My tag line is (still) "Sculpturally Functional Ceramics ".  Most of the work is draped bowls/catchalls/small trays and tea light bases.

2024new-.jpg

I have some test tiles on my work table with different white slip formulas on black clay.  Not happy with them.  picked us some Laguna brown clay that fires black and Red Calico to test fire with some more slips.    Next week will be warmer I will be able to get out there and get some work done.    Denice

nice, lee.    i agree with bam.   the softer edges of your work seem to make them more accessable to the general public.  smooth a few more of those sharp corners so they do not look as though they broke by accident.

denice is right, it is still too cold.   my studio is heated by an oil boiler and 2 radiators, 1 is five feet long.  i turned the heat up from the usual 40 today and plan to do so tomorrow as well.  i have a choice of heating the house to 68 and turning it down at night to 61.  tomorrow the studio will go to 68 and the house can stay at 61.  with oil over $5 a  gallon, i am frugal.

today i made another pattern block using flowers from a succulent that grows inside the very front of the house with eastern sun.  it is just starting the blooming season with coral colored bell shapes dangling above a huge plant.   the final result will be a piece pressed into the pattern block so the flowers are in relief when a new piece of clay is formed into a butter dish, a small bowl or plate, soap dish, candy dish or whatever size tray i want.   look at christie knox's fabulous work.

last year the favorite pattern was actually 3 or 4 different flowers, snowdrops, hellebore at 3 different stages, dogwood and honeysuckle, my personal favorite.  these pieces sell very easily and are not so expensive that everybody can afford something nice to look at and use every day.  pretty is important enough to let their wallets hang open matching the smile as they buy.

good luck with this change!  the one partially shown on the left center looks like you could use it as a great  pattern block just as it is.  fire to bisque, roll clay into it but put some foam rubber under the whole thing before you roll it!

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/18/2024 at 10:49 PM, oldlady said:

smooth a few more of those sharp corners so they do not look as though they broke by accident.

You are right oldlady-some did just crack off and I deliberatly left them as such (my "honoring the survivor" stylistic aesthetic, my artwork as related to trauma).  I do smooth all edges, then I  close my eyes and feel the piece all over to be sure nothing is sharp.  Upon reflection, I guess the pieces would look better if I go ahead and  made those areas more curved. I'll try it!  Thanks-- to you & also to  Bam2015

I threw my first  pots yesterday after a 8. week break. I had a tarsal tunnel surgery on right foot and out of cast now and in a boot for a month. I got off crutches  and knee scooter about 4 days ago and am taking baby steps towards walking again. Going to make some small stuff this am as well. Slowly getting back to it. Lots of PT and doing my PT 3 times a day then ICE and infrared light. Compression sleeve 99% on time as well . Wound is about 5 inchs long and coming along nicely. This surgery was a real setback for 8 weeks.

I have a large order to fill this spring and am just starting to get to it. I will be driving my self again within a day-ya hoo

PS tarsel tunnel is just like carpel tunnel on wrist only on the foot. Both by feet have it. I shosse the worst right foot to do this year -if it gets better in 3-6 months I will conside the other one. Right now  that sound really like a bad idea but once I;m healed up and if it works then I will think more about it on other foot.Surgery was a 4 hour trip away one way. Specialized doctor for this type of surgery of course.

Edited by Mark C.

Test tiles didn't work out but I have another slip  idea  rattling around in my head.  I decided to take a break and make new address plagues for my mailbox,   I made the original ones 5 years ago but someone decide to break them up with a tire iron.   I had made a press mold for the plague so the only thing that will require some skill is the decorative glaze work.  Living on a rural road you have teenagers drive by mailboxes and hit them with a baseball bat or run over them.    Denice

1 minute ago, Mark C. said:

I thrw my first  pots yesterday after a 8. week break. I had a tarsal tunnel surgery on right foot and out of cast now and in a boot for a month. I got off crutches  and knee scooter about 4 days ago and am taking baby steps towards walking again. Going to make aome small stuff this am as well. Slowly getting back to it. Lots of PT and doing my PT 3 times a day then ICE and infrared light. Compression sleeve 99% on time as well . Wound is about 5 inchs long and coming along nicely. This surgery was a real setback for 8 weeks.

I have a large order to fill this spring and am just starting to get to it. I will be driving my self agian within a day-ya hoo

I am glad you are getting better,  I know that eight weeks is a long break for you.   I finished my radiation therapy on my skin cancer a month ago and it has finally healed.   I need to go buy a big straw hat for the summer.   Don't overdo it.      Denice

• 2 weeks later...