What’s on your workbench?

On 12/4/2020 at 2:27 PM, ronfire said:

Needed a change of pace and had lots of pieces ready for my wife to paint so I made this, to bad the board cracked but it adds character.

635382620_ScreenShot2020-12-03at7_56_21PM.png.fe6688fe90165c17b65c57e4760cf0b4.png

What isit with chess boards?

Good friend made a numver over the years, all cracked,...easier to get in the box????

I put up some extra tables to handle all the bisques ware and one glaze kiln unloading today.It's finally raining (more than 1/4 inch) and dry space is at a premium-studion will be full of wares as well.Today bedsides dropping pots of at market this am and seting up my sales booth will be unloading and waxing all tghe bisqueware. (also one small 12 cubic glaze fire to unload and box up. No firing today so its a day off.Its a warm storm so its now 50 degrees out.Much better to wirk in than the low 40s

15 hours ago, Bill Kielb said:

Looks really good.
This might be a candidate for interior refractory coating, extra  rigid insulation on the bottom and some nice lightweight shelves to maximize the number of firings ya get on a set of elements.

Maybe next time lol, I'm not pulling my elements out to paint itc in there now!  Would love lightweight shelves but would likely have to get them custom made ($$$$) because of the size of my oval kiln.  It's 37x25 oval, not a common size afaik

This is what almost every Monday looks like on Glaze day-its whats on the workbench which is every flat surface I can find in kiln loading area. These are all the pots we glazed today(my assistant and I ) and I loaded the small 12 cubic kiln and the large 35 cubic car kiln(I forgot to take that photo but I have posted it more times than I can recall.This may be my last workbench shot this year not the last fire but the workbench is always looking like this every week since Sept when sales took off. As in above post my back hurts as do my feet and arms. These long days are killer on the body. I lit the kilns for a slow rise and will finish firing on Tuesday -unload them both on Thursday. I start throwing agin in am and this week is the last cycle this year for me. 98% of this glaze ware fit in the two kilns and I got it done by 6 pm. Out of a bath now feeling sore like i do every Monday night.Pottery is a contact profession and at my level it can wack you.I loaded over 50 advancer shelves in the se two kilns this afternoon. We cheated a bit and waxed a the load and I glazed a hour yesterday to get a jump on todays madness.My booth is closed for Monday and Tuesday so I could work without distractions of going and coming twice a day to booth.

I'll get the burners up later tonight to go thru quartz slow and get up at 5 am and kick both kilns up hard and go back to sleep a few hours.Fires will be over in afternoon at a soft 1/2 cone 11.  Slow two day cool. All pots are porcelain .I;m out of a few items right now and need some of these for orders NOW.

The beat goes on. Its days like this I wonder when folks ask about being a potter and how much do you have to work every day.I strongly feel if you ask that question you are not cut out for it. Time for some more Queens Gambit on Netflix.-Mea I'm putting my feet up tonight.

IMG_3691.jpeg.7d46cbeb33593cbedec52f5e418a3925.jpegIMG_3693.jpeg.48248dbaa4f5692715ea0c6fe0f78f66.jpegIMG_3695.jpeg.4ac35ca37f928bc0aeca8957a38514d2.jpegIMG_3692.jpeg.9ad8a73be2b5ccefdf9f8afb1dc9190c.jpegIMG_3689.jpeg.56065e61958fc385ce29a7bf62e05ec1.jpegIMG_3690.jpeg.07908d0ff3e2892c455ab3bf9a4afd69.jpegIMG_3694.jpeg.09d360ba38ad92dd98feb189918e2a75.jpegIMG_3688.jpeg.61435c76caa1a3848c866340e6251ed3.jpegIMG_3681.jpeg.0d11529c893f31dd94439834d428e302.jpeg

Edited by Mark C.

They are what I call door skins-the light weight interior doors .You can find used ones for free or a 1$ They hold a lot. When I have more than one kiln I need the space and since my dry space is also doing some doble duty  right now and it was not raining I took advantage and spread out today 47 cubic feet of glaze ware takes a lot of space. I can usually easy do the 35 cubic. I l;ike all the ware out of studio next to kilns before loading. Going in and out is to much .I carry the wares on those 18 inch bats and use a stoll next to kiln to load from. Less walking .Whats funny is today all the space is jambed tonight its all empty. the cycle is weekly right now. until next week when its just deklivery and  taking care of my own booth selling . Break down is xmas eve. Put it all away on xmas day(the special xmas booth only made fro xmas sales) unless it raining. I have killed xmas for my wife about 25 years ago.I do not have much xmas sprint left in me. 

I do 2 booth tables and a sheet of plywood usually. In the front yard.  I only have a 14 cubic foot kiln, but apparently I'm stingy with space hah.  Unfortunately with my current setup i can only glaze on days where it's not rainy, and I'm sure you know how rare that is this time of year up here.

I'm planning an extension of my studio for next spring, essentially tripling the size of my tiny studio.  Another 10x20 foot covered area in the back.  I can't wall it in due to building code here, but it will help immensely with storing greenware and glazing.

Oh I can't wait!

Heres the car kiln load from Mondays post on glaze day. Today it came out and was all distributed to 6 outlets and my booth (on Friday ). I reloaded the kiln today with a loose bisque and am firing late tonight for a quick turnaround -Have 210 mugs and 50 tumblers in load as well as bowls and candle holders sponge holders and 1/2 glasses . It will be two kilns worth as I have a lot of glazed pots laying around. Last two fire of the year on Saturday .Trying to stay ahead of demand but its been tough thios year due to sales over the top.7 more days 7 more days just 7 more days

On 12/14/2020 at 11:52 PM, liambesaw said:

I can't wall it in due to building code here, but it will help immensely with storing greenware and glazing.

Could you erect removable frames that use restaurant patio-quality (weatherproof, crystal clear, relatively inexpensive) super heavy duty vinyl sheeting? My formerly screened in porch now has the vinyl for the sides and the stuff is fantastic--the porch is now my kiln room.  Thanks to the vinyl, the 3 feet of snow we got today did not blow all over the inside of the porch and there will be no snow melt under the kiln!  

14 minutes ago, LeeU said:

Could you erect removable frames that use restaurant patio-quality (weatherproof, crystal clear, relatively inexpensive) super heavy duty vinyl sheeting? My formerly screened in porch now has the vinyl for the sides and the stuff is fantastic--the porch is now my kiln room.  Thanks to the vinyl, the 3 feet of snow we got today did not blow all over the inside of the porch and there will be no snow melt under the kiln!  

Wouldn't need removable frames, and really I could probably wall it in since this is the back of my property, but due to budget and such I think I'm gonna just frame up the roof and then let the rest organically happen as I need it to.  I'm thankful we don't get 3 feet of snow ever, but I like the occasional 6 inches we get every few years haha.  Never even thought about it getting on my kiln, it better not or I'm gonna be peeved!

@liambesaw, Know where you're at. Fired a glaze load last night with a green piece that my granddaughter wants to paint. From the heat color I figure at about cone 4 middle switch went off. I quickly shut off the breaker, and checked the fuses, both in good shape. Today the load shows the glaze pots are semi gloss, and the pieces my granddaughter wanted will be perfect for painting with acrylic. I just hope that there is a burned lead somewhere not an infinity switch needing replacement. Elements had recently been replaced last Summer.

best,

Pres

I was sorting some bisque test tiles the other day and ran across some liner tiles that I had a made years ago.   I am pretty sure the clay is C5.   I am going to glaze a few and fire them in my test kiln.   I haven't had low fire clay in my studio for at least 30 years, who knows how long they have been in the bottom of the box.   It is better to be safe than sorry.    Denice

Hey @liambesawdon't know why I read that oval kiln post this go round...but...I would consider Rectangle shelves and utilizing the empty space of the oval for tall things like that birdbath stem. 

I got a 27inch tall space right next to my upward burner, stuck a 16in vase there the other day, came out like 4 tone, fading up in melt. Really dope.

@Mark C. There won't be any "filling the shop" with these! Lol! They call big Bonsai trees 2 man or 4 hand trees, I call this "Four Hand Barbie".

20210102_120113.jpg.34ad2cbe719db272da326521ebf93226.jpg

Sorce

I peeked in on the liner tile firing this morning,  they looked great.  I am going  to have my husband help me unload the kiln tomorrow.   I loaded it myself and made my hand that I had the surgery on recently swell up.    Ice pack took care of it,  but I am going to try not to push it for a while.     Denice

Denice I'm in the exact opposite postion this week _i'm pushing to the max. I have 55 cubic feet of biques wares to glaze and fire this week in 3 glaze loads.Two small kilns and one large kiln load. I need to get stock to wiped out stores and have backstock before hand surgery on the 19th.

I am also working the winter pruning and tax prep while my head is clear of painkillers.

The workbench is FULL and really thats only part of what needs to get done in the next 7 days

soon I will be in a no push situation. Vacation starts 7 am on the 19th on the surgery table.