What’s on your workbench?

• 3 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, Bill Kielb said:

Cute! Battery or corded?

Either or.  There's going to be an optional battery connection inside, or a nc female jack mounted into a hole in the side.

Another one I'm working on is using neon indicator bulbs instead of LEDs and that one will be wired for AC... Well... Because neon.

2 minutes ago, oldlady said:

reminds me of an old (1910) metal lamp base.  crackled slip???  nice job on color and finish.   two thumbs up.

Thanks, this glazeless application was definitely a new process for me, but I still can't sell anything right now so instead of making mugs and bowls every night I've turned to drugs. Wait, no, not that, I've turned to just having fun with stuff and not making things that have a price tag.

Crackle slip, iron wash, and then soaked in a mixture of soda ash, sodium silicate and bone ash.

Came out just how I pictured it in my mind beforehand!

On 1/20/2021 at 10:16 AM, Magnolia Mud Research said:

The "test slabs"  are interesting forms and prints.  well done!!! 

LT

Thank you LT! I suppose the cyanotype tree was very popular. I was not there when the kiln was unloaded and that one piece mysteriously disappeared.   While I'm pleased someone is enjoying it I did want to see how it behaved in reduction. I've only got a few bisque tests so far. They turn a golden brown.  Hoping and expecting the reduction will intensify on the next glaze firing, whenever that is.

It's a bummer when pots get stolen as they unload the kiln, this was a problem when I was in college.   They would unload the big gas kiln at night and place everything on a big cement table.  In the morning half of the work would be gone.  The teachers started grading the work before it was glazed.   I always like to spend a little time checking out what went right and wrong on a pot before I set it free.  Denice

I had a Summer session, at PSU that resulted in 150 pieces at least. Many of these were raku, but there were a great many that were ^10 stoneware. I did get all of them out of my firings, and took them home to my 3 room apartment. After the first few nights of September weather my wife and I moved them on to the back porch. The pinging kept the baby up! Two seasons later over 50% of the pieces were gone. The following year, none were left. The back porch was on a highly trafficked alley. I am at time embarrassed to see a familiar piece on a mantle or other place of importance when visiting homes, knowing full well they were not gifted or purchased from me. I will sometimes quietly check for the EPR on the bottom as that was my signature back then.

At least I got a chance to analyze my work before it disappeared.

best,

Pres 

At my home studio the only people who pilfer pots are neighbors and family, which is 100% OK with me and I've told them all so.  In high school/college the only pots that disappeared after firing were incognito bongs and pipes and I know the teachers accidentally lost them on purpose ;)

Right now on my bench I've got several more lamp projects and coffee pourovers.  This lamp has 7 soviet era neon bulbs (nixie lamps) to provide a warm communist orange glow.

Gtg0hIk.jpg

c9B4FrI.jpg2bPraVb.jpg

Edited by liambesaw

On 3/24/2021 at 5:17 PM, GoneFishing said:

the "faux bronze" finish

Just a personal "preference" comment---seeing the effect you have gone for, I can not quite fathom why you would not want to use glazes. You would attain essentially the same coloration & the same aesthetic vibe, but with the deeper richness and tactile appeal of fired glaze.  Even commercial glazes, like Ancient Copper, Bronze Tenmoku, and  Turquoise Matte  come to mind for me, and would look terrific.  Love her backside, BTW!

• 5 weeks later...
9 hours ago, neilestrick said:

Making a couple of big planters for our deck.

8535_2.jpeg.f1f84767cae3018c482d5b3c7444538b.jpeg

A question Neil.

Why is your splash pan full of bits of clay?

Have you thrown a few already of have you a technique for big pot throwing which makes these knobs multiply:-)))

Do you add sausages?