What’s on your workbench?

3 hours ago, Rae Reich said:

@liambesaw, have you considered a small dehumidifier? Leave it running overnight (cover the throwing bucket). Under $200 could save you lots of waiting time. Of course, you want those carafes to dry more slowly than cups. 

I have one for the house I could steal, but I also have a little space heater out in my shed that does ok.  It's just that I'm out of rack space in my shed.  I actually did have to bring everything in last night though because we got down into the 20s and I didn't want these freezing and breaking.  They're probably too dry now lol.

Unloaded glaze load #4 yesterday; overall, pleased I am.

Only two crazed, over a new clay - everything else, clays and glazes (except new green, Rutile Green, from Bill Van Gilder's book), had been done afore, hence better chance - four pieces got bits of clay stuck on from blown up cone pack (ah was in a hurry there, oops). Speaking of oops, forgot to put in alla test tiles, hence first report on lower expansion clear will be next time; it does look very good on the one red clay piece, (thanks Min!), nice gloss, lays flat, and cleared bubbles well.

Aforementioned Wollastonite Clear liner on all (but one) red clay pieces; some of the buff clay pieces have Kitten's Clear, which behaves well on the buff, but not the red - microbubble-icious. The colors are Lakeside Clear Blue (Lakeside Pottery); Variagated, Rutile Green and Teal Blue (Bill Van Gilder's book); and matte white (Aardvark Clay).

Have a nice holiday e'body! 

glaze4 snip.JPG

15 hours ago, Chilly said:

Anyone know what they are?

They might possibly be for holding short stick incense--the kind that is just a thin rod, not the kind that is on a thin stick. I used to make these, very similar, but I have no pics of them. The incense stands upright from the hole.  Some have 3 holes, like a triple-wick candle. The incense shown is just in a porcelain cube holder made for the purpose and normally sits in a pretty catcher dish.  I posted the photo just to show the size of the hole and scale of the incense rod, though some are longer, or can be broken into shorter lengths. Of course, I could be way off the mark! 

20191130_234101.jpg

Size?  Small, around 50mm across.

They're - umm, not sure how the plural goes, but singularly they are a Diz.  Used to convert carded/combed fleece (wool) into roving!  I hope you all feel much happier for knowing that!?

You thread a small amount of fleece (straight from a carder or comb, through the hole, and then pull it through, then you can spin the roving into yarn.  The different size holes produce different size roving.

I've been trying to figure out this design for at least two years, and think I have finally done it. A ceramic tea steeper with a stainless steel handle.  It works with any cup, or at least all of the cups I make. I plan to start making teapots that will also accommodate the steeper. 

tea-steepers800px.jpg.1b7b1105a24b70bb49a38940778cab81.jpg

32 minutes ago, GEP said:

I've been trying to figure out this design for at least two years, and think I have finally done it. A ceramic tea steeper with a stainless steel handle.  It works with any cup, or at least all of the cups I make. I plan to start making teapots that will also accommodate the steeper. 

tea-steepers800px.jpg.1b7b1105a24b70bb49a38940778cab81.jpg

Those look great!
Several  years ago I made lidded jars and it was a good lesson in designing around things so they were aesthetic and functional. Those look great! Any plans for a handle that fully pivots away for storage?

09101B30-870E-462A-8B19-2A40E5DC6A77.jpeg

Edited by Bill Kielb

Nice jar, @Bill Kielb! Making air-tight storage jars is also on my list of things to figure out.

I hadn't thought about a pivoting handle for the tea steeper. The item is so small, I don't think storage will be an issue. But I have one in my own kitchen that I plan to use a lot. If the need for a pivoting handle makes itself clear, then I will work on it!

@GEP, pretty nice idea. Design suits your aesthetic and the raw clay too. Does the user put the leaves into the steeper, then put the steeper  into the cup, then pour water? Thinking about displacement...

(don't worry about the bail, you don't want it to fall over)

Edited by Rae Reich

40 minutes ago, Rae Reich said:

@GEP, pretty nice idea. Design suits your aesthetic and the raw clay too. Does the user put the leaves into the steeper, then put the steeper  into the cup, then pour water? Thinking about displacement...

(don't worry about the bail, you don't want it to fall over)

Not sure what you mean by displacement? Do you mean the tea leaves escaping from the top? I made the tea steeper somewhat tall-ish, intending users to make an amount of tea that isn’t taller than the steeper. Tea leaves stay inside. 

4 hours ago, GEP said:

Not sure what you mean by displacement? Do you mean the tea leaves escaping from the top? I made the tea steeper somewhat tall-ish, intending users to make an amount of tea that isn’t taller than the steeper. Tea leaves stay inside. 

I think the displacement of the liquid by the steeper. The clay steeper will have a lot more volume than a thin metal one, so it will displace more water when you put it in the mug, possibly overflowing the mug. Might be best to put the steeper in first, then pour the water in. Or throw them super thin?

11 hours ago, neilestrick said:

I think the displacement of the liquid by the steeper. The clay steeper will have a lot more volume than a thin metal one, so it will displace more water when you put it in the mug, possibly overflowing the mug. Might be best to put the steeper in first, then pour the water in. Or throw them super thin?

Ok, I got it now! Yes I am expecting people to put the steeper in the cup first, and add tea leaves to it, while they are waiting for the kettle to boil. This morning I tried putting the steeper into a cup that already had water in it. It displaces a little at first, but the water goes through the holes in the steeper pretty quickly. The walls of the steeper are quite thin.