What’s on your workbench?

Mondays bench (actually 3 areas)-glaze wares from two fires priced and packed-lots of mugs

Pots been flying out of here lately-shipped to Vermont-So-Cal gallery-all local outlets-

All stocked to the gills for Mothers day and our Collage Graduation weekend-usually a large sales event for all shops locally

today bench is empty -off to a show in am for 5 days

IMG_0025.jpg

IMG_0027.jpg

IMG_0028.jpg

All out jar topper production for a week.   Had 850 for The Canton Flea Market.  Sold 460 at show, was hoping for 600 or even a sell out.   Attendance down a bit this year (Spring is always way lower than fall).    Next day had after orders from Canton for 72, 19, 12 and 8.   And sold some over weekend for Mother's Day.    Have around 200 left now.    Which is good for every day stock at the store.

Notice in the middle photo the way people are "looking" at this item.   This display wasn't perfect.  Should have placed a table on the outside of booth with arrangements around the table  and toppers scattered on table with organized shelf stock on the sides.   The jars with flowers arranged in the toppers are critical to selling .   And this item could use a poster board with photo too ... something for fall show.   Had a small business card with explanation and photo for customers that wanted them as gifts.   This was key to selling.    This is somewhat of an explanation product.  My brother said that when I was hanging around the toppers, small waves of sales would come through.   When I left to restock jewelry, straighten, etc ... sales slowed off.  Overall, I'm satisfied with the sales, especially with the after sales pouring in from people that saw them at the show.

toppers.JPG

IMG_0758 (600x450).jpg

IMG_0776 (600x450).jpg

Edited by DirtRoads

On 5/29/2018 at 9:27 PM, Sputty said:

That's a very big (4 shaft?) loom for such a petite piece of weaving! Most people would use an Inkle loom for that!

Nice to have. You need a shed.

Ha ha.  That was the first try out.  It's now warped with 200+ ready for a big trial.

On 5/30/2018 at 2:21 AM, oldlady said:

chilly, if you were not so far away, i would volunteer to get in there and pick those strawberries for you. ;)

You're welcome to come and help.  The scones and clotted cream are on the shopping list for the weekend.

• 3 weeks later...

I've got a very busy week ahead of me. I currently have 101 pots under plastic that I will have to start trimming and decorating tomorrow, including 2/3 of a dinnerware set, a bunch of mugs, cups, tumblers, oil bottles, and soap pump bottles. I've got a show on Saturday, so my goal is to have it all done by lunchtime Friday so I'm ready to fire for the next show, when I'll need all of this work. Wish me luck!

Platic.jpg.e26ec0cca24d134eee8eaf132e67f16d.jpg

5 hours ago, neilestrick said:

I've always hated that name 'clotted cream'. I don't want to eat anything that's clotted. Sour cream, however, sounds delicious! Go figure.

Clotted cream is heavy cream made into a sort of pudding.  Sweet, not savoury with scones! And good luck with all your trimming. 

54 minutes ago, neilestrick said:

I've got a very busy week ahead of me. I currently have 101 pots under plastic that I will have to start trimming and decorating tomorrow, including 2/3 of a dinnerware set, a bunch of mugs, cups, tumblers, oil bottles, and soap pump bottles. I've got a show on Saturday, so my goal is to have it all done by lunchtime Friday so I'm ready to fire for the next show, when I'll need all of this work. Wish me luck!

Platic.jpg.e26ec0cca24d134eee8eaf132e67f16d.jpg

Crunch time! best of luck, I can remember when Penn State was a few weeks away and 14hr days were the norm!

best,

Pres

Only working in my studio  for a couple of hours a day recently.   My husband has been using up some vacation time so we have been on the go.     When I am out there I am working on intricate stain designs,  coiling a pot or trying to throw on my new wheel.   It is hard to teach a old dog new tricks.    Denice

A lesson learned...

The last weekend in February was the last time I touched a kiln load of pots ready for single-fire glazing. Around June 6th is when I started to glaze. I pour the liners on mugs and pitchers. Then begin to spray the exteriors. 2 days after pouring a thin crack appeared in 2 pieces. I looked in the Hamer book and found out the crack is from readsorption. We had a very rainy spring with periods of extreme dry weather. The pottery shop had the windows open during this time. I took me about 2 weeks to glaze the pieces and 29 test glazes. Kiln was fired June 17.

I have always d processed the pottery this way. Throw a kiln load, then when all pieces dry, begin to pour and spray. I have never waited this long between the making and the glazing. Lost 5 pieces due to this readsorption. 

Never in my wildest dreams, in order to make decent pots, did I consider being a physicist, chemist, geologist, and any other ...ist I may have left out.

Picture of the hairline crack and a picture of the survivors. At least all were not lost. Also, I finally figured out how to properly load the kiln. This firing had the most even firing across the whole kiln. All cone 6 were bent exactly the same. 

liner_crack1.JPG

After 06172018.JPG

Edited by dhPotter
added date clarification