So who needs a haircut besides me?

I have been cutting my own hair for several years,  I started  after getting two bad hair cuts in a row.   I have medium to long hair so I trim the hair around my face the way I want it.  Then I comb my back hair forward over my face,  I cut 3 inches off and then shape it into my front hair.  Last month I cut it and then asked my husband to trim up any strays or jagged areas in the back.   He comb through and said I had done a perfect job.   My hair is pretty fine and thin so it is pretty easy to cut,  we don't see anyone except strangers at the grocery store so I guess it really doesn't matter.    Denice

denise, did you see the woman who was adamant about going out to her beauty salon and having a professional haircut because her roots were showing        she was embarrassed by the thought of anyone seeing her that way.   then  she showed the top of her head to the national news camera and the person interviewing her said.  "I see!"      so did a few million other people.

• 2 weeks later...

Been there,  I lost my eyebrows and eyelashes in a sawdust explosion during a Raku glaze test in college.   I had a bandana on and long gloves so my hair lost was minimal considering I was standing in a ball of fire.     Denice

Youch Denice, Not fun. Raku has never been a favorite of mine, especially throwing the heavily grogged clay, wore sores on my left hand as I throw narrow, and my hands would touch the inside walls at three points, stayed there all summer long. Also burned myself when the cable on the lift for the raku kiln broke and I unthinkingly grabbed to keep it from falling near another student, she was crouched and could not have moved out of the way. No not raku anymore.

best,

Pres

On 8/2/2020 at 9:38 AM, Pres said:

Youch Denice, Not fun. Raku has never been a favorite of mine, especially throwing the heavily grogged clay, wore sores on my left hand as I throw narrow, and my hands would touch the inside walls at three points, stayed there all summer long. Also burned myself when the cable on the lift for the raku kiln broke and I unthinkingly grabbed to keep it from falling near another student, she was crouched and could not have moved out of the way. No not raku anymore.

best,

Pres

Yeah, but with Raku, you get to play with FIRE!

The Raku body I use, has a fairly light grog.  I've never had any issues with it hurting my hands, nor have my students.

Now, the main studio body I used in college, on the other hand!  They added a lot of grog to that, to help with any potential shrinkage and cracking issues that are common with beginning students.  It was great for the hand-building projects, but during wheel throwing, I had a permanent sore on the side of my hand, from the wheel head.  It was like constantly resting my hand on a sanding disc.  I kept putting Liquid Band-Aid on it, but it got worn away almost immediately.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

When this post started I had just cut my hair, now  my husband and I both need another haircut.  I'd better give a try before I have my hand surgery.  The number of people who tested positive for COVID  has gone above 10 percent in our county so they are increasing the restrictions.    Denice

I had mine cut professionally  yesterday -our county is at level 4 the best it can get right . Level 1 is the worst and level 4 is the best. We all had masks on and I was the only client in shop.

We all wear masks around here in this riral county and for us we stay home as much as we can. No vacation or needless trips. Some solo hikes in the distant woods away from any persons occasionally . To busy with clay now to do much of that.

Gearing up for a pottety sale on Dec 11th 1st one and last one this year.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I have not cut my hair since the 90s.  However it mostly fell out/broke off while I was sick last March.  :wacko:

It's just in the last couple of weeks stopped looking like Boris Johnson if he stuck his finger in a light socket (and if he were a brunette). I had very nearly given up hope. But the curl is back and its almost shoulder length again.  It was down to my waist pre-health crash.

Not all men look good with the bald thing.  My son tried that early in the pandemic.  I actually did not recognize him in the picture I saw.  I kept trying to figure out who the crazy looking old man was playing with my grandson.  NOT a good look for him, fortunately it doesn't seem like he will be going "naturally" bald.

Been a hat wearer for a very long time - keeps some of the sun off, reduces overhead light glare/bounce back from glasses.
Sun can be serious. "Swim early or late, get a full body sun suit, or find another dermatologist. Choose now."
Eye strain is a drag as well.
At my last work (heh, "last" - retired now), the office manager said, "...never seen you without a hat." - that was year six.

17 hours ago, Rebekah Krieger said:

There’s something very charming about a man that shaved his head. Super low maintenance and attractive. I hope that doesn’t come across as flirty, but it looks great on you. 

*blush* Thank you! I never would have shaved it if my hair hadn't gotten so thin up top, but I really don't miss having hair at all! No hat hair!

Archived