Qotw: Participants Question Pool For Future Qotw's

"Politics: the activities associated with the governance of a country or other area, especially the debate or conflict among individuals or parties having or hoping to achieve power."

I get dismayed when the misuse of the word and concept of "politics" serves to characterize a topic, about which there may be disagreement, as something that should be off-limits, which may serve to cut off the dialogue.  I am not trying to be "too"  serious or snarky---I just wouldn't want to see discussions of the new Forum features get jettisoned because of sensitivity about critique.

So far,  everything I have learned about the new system has come from folks who are providing us with tips and directions. Reading other people's experiences/questions is helpful as well. Without that input I know I would get frustrated, or lost, and end up feeling negative before giving it a chance. I hate having to learn new systems, it is hard on my remaining and aging brain cells, but upgrades are a necessity. I guess I'm saying I wish there was a forum topic on the pros/cons/"how to" of it--if not a Qotw--to ease the transition! 

OH GOOD GRIEF....I just remembered there IS a thread on the New Forum.  I'll leave my 2-cents  worth about content being (or not being) "political" here, since I don't know where else to put it. Moderator should feel free to remove it if (dare I say it?) it is too political LOL. :rolleyes:
Edited by LeeU

• 2 weeks later...

I enjoy trying to answer the questions posed in PQotW and I’m both impressed and covetous of the sheer volume of books Pres has. (no pun intended) Started me thinking about my own meagre collection and which one I find the most useful or enjoyable. So, my question would be, if you could only have one ceramics book what would it be and why? (plus, I’m curious what Pres would choose)

23 hours ago, Babs said:

my question would be.

If you wanted to and had the means, which part of the process would you assign to an apprentice/assistant?

I have the means and had a studio assistant for over 25 years now -its handles-interior glazing and some help with baby pots as well as most all of the hot dip waxing (I do the liquid wax on footed forms)

• 3 weeks later...

Lots of us are probably ramping up the work load in the studio, what with Christmas show season being upon us.  I know variations of this have been asked before, but what is your current playlist/ favourite audio book/Netflix binge? What is keeping you company this week?

Recommendation,s and/or links to Spotify or iTunes playlists would be encouraged. 

Also, I wonder what kind of craft show survival tips everyone has, and which bits of craft show advice sounded good, but really didn't work for you.  I'd love to see this be less of a beginner's guide (I think we all know to put out an email signup sheet and lay out your booth before the event), and more of an intermediate class. 

Bonus points if you have a photo of your booth setup to share.  Or maybe that could be a third question. What is your booth setup, what are the things you love about it?

• 1 month later...

The day, through my own negligence, I dropped and watched all of a box of truly wonderful pieces smash to bits.  Each piece unique, no repeated forms, glazes really sweet,  forms useful and great looking, many made with a specific person in mind, some Palladium finish probably never to be seen again...oh I could go on and on.  My style is generally organic, rough, handbuilt, often based on serendipity, and as such, most pieces are not easy to replicate, nor do I want to.  So transporting/carrying the load the way I did was a grievous error of judgement which I shall not repeat! On the plus side, it did force me to take a look at  not trying  so  hard to make each piece so different from the next.  I am now making some forms-like a particular type of tea light holder-pretty similar in size, shape, glaze, and texture/stamp, and I am getting feedback that people like "them"-meaning the core design.  And if I drop and break one, I really can "just" make another. 

On 9/21/2017 at 3:04 PM, Min said:

I enjoy trying to answer the questions posed in PQotW and I’m both impressed and covetous of the sheer volume of books Pres has. (no pun intended) Started me thinking about my own meagre collection and which one I find the most useful or enjoyable. So, my question would be, if you could only have one ceramics book what would it be and why? (plus, I’m curious what Pres would choose)

Waaaa! Need 3 categories: pots, glazes, firing/kilns

• Pres unpinned this topic

Every potter settles into a style that works for them. Favorite clay, favorite glazes, and favorite forming techniques. Yet every potter views pieces made by other potters and marvel over how it was made, glazed, or what clay was used. Pottery goes from digging your own clay, to buying clay, from mixing your glaze, to buying premix, and from pinch pots to mega pots: and everywhere in between.

QoTW: What clay, glaze, or forming technique are you curious to try: but have not?  (more than one answer is welcome)

For me it would be wood firing and raku. Love the results I see posted from time to time.

Nerd

I am writing an article about a woman whose work I admire. During our interview, she said she came to realize she didn't have to keep going here and there to study , apprentice with a Korean master, work collaboratively with an artist on a collaborative installation for a museum. She has settled in Barcelona for the past 5 years and realizes the journey in clay never ends even if you remain in one place. 

so my question would be: where has your journey in clay taken you; either geographically, aesthetically, philosophically, product wise? Otherwise to quote an ancient philosopher and I think it was a Dante,  but I may be wrong. he said literature can be interpreted : literally, metaphorically, allegorically, or metaphysically. so your answer can be in the previously mentioned categories.

Marcia

Here are a few possible questions (I didn't read all the other suggestions, so it is possible that one or the other is already mentioned):

• are you doing archetypal or traditional forms?
  • have you ever been inspired by Ikebana to do vases?
  • is "history" important in/to your work?
  • what art qualifications do you have?
  • is there a person in your life (doesn't have to be a potter) who influenced you or your work?
  • what does success mean to you?
  • what are the most important design elements?
  • are you using 3-D printers?
  • is your work related to your environments?
  • which of your works gives you the most pleasure when you look at it?
  • are you a member of a ceramics community in your neighborhood/region/country etc.?
  • are there restrictions to the size of your work?

• Pres pinned this topic
  • 3 weeks later...

LeeU posted this question in another strand under Chemistry: Maybe a topic for a future question of the week....is "it" (like the spodumene effect) a problem (as in the science/craft sense it may well be) or is it a blessing (in the sense of the  aesthetic/philosophy of the ceramicist)?  I love cracks and "flaws" in my pieces (go out of my way to introduce them)  but it does set me up for "having" to explain to the guy/gal  whispering to the person with them that "This gal isn't very good-look at all the cracks and pinholes." that actually, I know what I am doing, I just choose a different path.  Kinda like life! aaarrrggghhh

best, Pres