Qotw: Participants Question Pool For Future Qotw's

Do you find sales better at small shows( <50 booths) or large shows(>200 booths) or somewhere in the middle?

What is the worst booth neighbor to have... 

A). The German Roast Nuts....the intoxicating aroma becomes nauseating after a couple hours

B).  Kettle Korn, with the gas burner igniting every 10-15 mins drowning out all other sounds

C). The Peruvian flute players playing their whole catalog of music from their CD's

D). The overly chatty neighbor with no filter on  what details they readily share

E). Beer Tent

Others????

Edited by Up in Smoke Pottery
additional question added

2 hours ago, Chilly said:

Which "newbie question" has most confused/confounded you?  For example, today, I was asked:  Why do you always tell me to do a glaze test before I use it on something real?

I'm all for testing on something real, but when I say test a glaze first, I mean before mixing up more than a test batch. I'm sure in a school setting where every piece is precious it has a different connotation.

• 1 month later...

What is your most unapologetic, shamelessly proud, pat-yourself-on-the-back accomplishment of any type in your ceramics life (a terrific piece, a  great sale, a sharp business strategy, a fine friend made, a good deed done, a land traveled, a discovery---etc. etc.)?  

Another suggestion:

How far back/deep do you feel compelled to go in your pursuit of pottery (or insert another craft/art here)?

For example, I make clothes, but until recently have not felt compelled to weave fabric.  I now do some weaving, but didn't feel compelled to spin thread/yarn.  I've now taken up spinning.  Why do I feel the need to buy a raw fleece and wash it, pick the bits out, and card it.  All before I can spin it/weave it/sew it?

The same with pottery, buy clay, dig clay, buy glaze, mix glaze.

What are your compulsions, how far back do you feel you need to go?  Not what your brain says is sensible, what your heart is tugging at.

Chilly,  Very interesting question, because after there is digging up the clay from the ground,  there could be making a kiln and cutting down trees for wood firing. However, your clothing analogy ends up with you owning the sheep -  a serious proposition. 

To answer your question - I think it would be fun to dig up clay and try to throw it after it has been cleaned, but not for all clay needs. 

Edited by Selchie
Addition of comment.

@preeta brought something up that I've been pondering for years. In this thread she asks "i wonder are potters now going to treat cobalt blue like blood diamonds? Whole ‘nother Subject."

I realize as potters there's a strong probability that the cobalt we use is from the DRC and child labour plus health and safety concerns is a very valid concern in the mining practices there. We are not the reason for the mining, battery market seems to be the big driver now, but how do we feel about using cobalt or for that matter do we look into the mining practices of any of the materials we use? Cadmium inclusion stains to my knowledge are only being made in China and India, now why is that? (rhetorical question)

49 minutes ago, Min said:

@preeta brought something up that I've been pondering for years. In this thread she asks "i wonder are potters now going to treat cobalt blue like blood diamonds? Whole ‘nother Subject."

I realize as potters theres a strong probability that the cobalt we use is from the DRC and child labour plus health and safety concerns is a very valid concern in the mining practices there. We are not the reason for the mining, battery market seems to be the big driver now, but how do we feel about using cobalt or for that matter do we look into the mining practices of any of the materials we use? Cadmium inclusion stains to my knowledge are only being made in China and India, now why is that? (rhetorical question)

Good question, though after the cobalt crash it doesn't seem like much of anyone is producing it now.  Buy it while it's cheap, China's surplus won't last forever

• 1 month later...

Still curious what mentor/mentee experiences others have had with regard to throwing?

I started at the local JC Ceramic lab, where short demonstration introduces skills required for upcoming assignments, then practice. From there, anyone struggling and/or having questions and/or asking for help would get some one on one or small group. I as (still am) ok with that. I have/am learning by practice, making mistakes, and observing others. Isn't it interesting what we see when observing others - particularly what we didn't see earlier? ...aha!

That said, having designed and delivered structured practice for skill development, aaand having received structured instruction in skill development, I believe expert guidance and instruction can be very positive (can be - what works for some does not work well for others, see Bernice McCarthy's 4mat ideas, which blow up sensory learning models...).

My guess is most throwers observe, practice, and make mistakes...

• 3 months later...

My dad uses the expression "money for old rope" a fair bit. My QOTW would be do you make anything that is easy and quick to make but looks like it's more work than it is? If you sell your work this would include being able to charge about the same for a pot as what  a more labour intensive pot would fetch.  Money for old rope pots.

Edited by Min
clarity

• Pres unpinned and pinned this topic
  • 2 weeks later...

How has your  work progressed in terms of thickness and shape(s)?

Several folk have worked toward thin/light sections, then moved away from the extreme for strength, durability and feel. Just into my third year, I have turned away from thin, for the most part. 

• 1 month later...

I'm going to suggest a topic that came up in a tongue in cheek roundabout way on this thread. What do the partners / families of potters have to put up with? Half the house being taken over with clay stuff, family becoming unpaid conscripted help, sounding board....?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

@Min, I really like this suggestion, and will post if after posting the question included in the suggestion, ,, , What do you define as technology when thinking of things Ceramic?

Hope this meets your approval, as I believe it is essential to find a definition that most would approve of.

best,

Pres

18 minutes ago, Pres said:

@Min, I really like this suggestion, and will post if after posting the question included in the suggestion, ,, , What do you define as technology when thinking of things Ceramic?

Hope this meets your approval, as I believe it is essential to find a definition that most would approve of.

best,

Pres

- after so many dry weeks you got a 2fer :)

• 4 weeks later...

Soon, a new year, that after one we'll likely remember for a very long time, err, perhaps forever, hence, perhaps a New Year related question? Some, perhaps, are looking to ramp down after decades of process refinement, market research and targeting, thousands of pots, adjusting for wear, and so on; others may be looking to ramp up in the same (and other) areas.

What do you think 2021 may bring to your potting life?

I'd like to: explore a few more forms, particularly the teapot (have initial trial and first design adjustment under me belt a'ready), sets of lidded forms, and "smalls"; fill the kiln more efficiently; throw a lot more pots, hence more time at the wheel, and more efficient use of time; get out and see/feel others' pots, and interact in person with other potters - missing this, big time; improve culling (am getting better at it); participate in another show or two - first ever closes today (great experience). And more...

• 1 month later...

Searching dust threads, found "What things you do that most others don't, that you ain' gonna stop doin' neither?"

Perhaps "What studio habits/practices do you remain committed to that most other potters do not practice?"

For example, I wipe out the wheel's pan after each session, and start each session with fresh water in the bucket (freshish - I pour off the mostly clear, wash the sludge out to reclaim, pour back the mostly clear, then top it up).