How Do You Store Your Kiln Shelves?

I used to stack shelves where ever I could find a place to put them-which seemed to always be in the way in the shop. Being a small room, I just could never find a place out of the  way to store them. I decided last year enough moving them around-I built a cart out of scrap materials from a deck build and added heavy wheels to the base. It works well in my situation as I can push it into a corner or some other area and have it out of the way, yet have it handy when I need to load or unload the kiln. It  is also easy to get it to the work area for kiln washing or scraping.  How do you store your shelves?

There is a small gap above the cupboards under the bench in my greenhouse studio, that is just the right height for one shelf.  I know they say to store them vertically, but this way they are out of the way, in no danger of falling over, chipping or anything.  Three cupboards, one shelf on each, the fourth shelf lives in the kiln.

I keep my shelves right next to my 5 working kilns-There is a pile for each kiln.I keep them on some wood off the ground/cement/gravel/etc and they stay dry this way.

They are never to far from the kiln from which they go into.I store all of them on edge leaning a tad so they do dot fall over in Earthquake .

It makes no sense for me to move them around more than I have to.

Mark

I prefer leaning them against the wall as well - but we're outdoors so eventually they have to be covered.  Currently that means they stack onto a stainless wire shelf (from a closed bird store) covered by a tarp.  It seems every time I go to the studio it has been improved with everything organized in yet a new better way, with new containers so each time I get to relearn where everything is.  It reminds me of a bad joke where Helen Keller's parents would punish her by rearranging the furniture.

Just leaning against the wall next to the kilns.

I prefer leaning them against the wall as well - but we're outdoors so eventually they have to be covered.  Currently that means they go onto a stainless wire shelf covered by a tarp.  It seems every time I go to the studio it has been improved with everything organized in yet a new better way, with new containers so each time I get to relearn where everything is.  It reminds me of a bad joke where Helen Keller's parents would punish her by rearranging the furniture.

I share my studio with a guy who loves to redesign and evolve the studio into a well organised machine so I know your pain.

I very much remember where things are by what I was doing when I last used them, not the type of guy to organise things unless a pile of stuff counts  ;)

Guest JBaymore

Me too: can there be somehow better?

Yes, if you have the luxury of space around your kilns, and a level concrete floor........ rolling heavy duty metal shelf carts that place the shelves at an appropriate height for lifting (closer to standing waist height".  Slots for the shelves that store them vertically and keep them from rattling against each other.

best,

.......................john

PS:  Don't have that luxury at my studio.

I have used shelf carts of various styles and heights and such, but I have not found anything I prefer to leaning them against the wall. In fact the slotted type of racks are my least favorite! Just like everything else in ceramics, there's a million preferred ways of doing things. For me there's no simple way to pick them up or set them down than leaning against a wall. Probably comes from my days working at a commercial glass shop where leaning glass on vertical racks was the norm all day long.

I didn't put slots in my cart. It is only made of 2X6 s and some trex type deck boards with a lower shelf for pieces which I use quite a bit.  As far as level, the garage has a drain in the center with the floor sloping towards it. Everything has to be leveled!

Garage with a drain in the center....lovely.  Would be worth having to level for me.

I just have my shelves stacked on a table next to the kiln.  Is it really that important to store them vertically?

If they are warped, the weight of the shelves on top of them could crack them, theoretically.

I built a one legged corner counter top for my test kiln and put dividers on the underside so I can lean different sizes of shelves.  They are safe and out of the way and won't fall over in a earthquake.  Didn't have to worry about earthquakes in Kansas until they started horizontal oil drilling now we have small ones all the time.  Denice

I prefer leaning them against the wall as well - but we're outdoors so eventually they have to be covered.  Currently that means they go onto a stainless wire shelf covered by a tarp.  It seems every time I go to the studio it has been improved with everything organized in yet a new better way, with new containers so each time I get to relearn where everything is.  It reminds me of a bad joke where Helen Keller's parents would punish her by rearranging the furniture.

I share my studio with a guy who loves to redesign and evolve the studio into a well organised machine so I know your pain.

I very much remember where things are by what I was doing when I last used them, not the type of guy to organise things unless a pile of stuff counts  ;)

What I would give to have a guy like that!

Small 4-wheeled cart that holds the half-shelves (all I ever use) plus a place to store the kiln furniture, Orton cone boxes, a coffee can sized batch of kiln wash, and (if I'm lucky) a cone pack that is ready to go.\.  Just about everything is on wheels in the garagio..except for the wheel (and I just realized how odd that sounds).

Archived