26 replies to this topic

#1 Pres

Pres

Retired Art Teacher

• Moderators
  • 2,094 posts
  • LocationCentral, PA

Posted 06 February 2014 - 12:01 PM

I used to stack shelves where ever I could find a place to put them-which seemed to always be in the way in the shop. Being a small room, I just could never find a place out of the  way to store them. I decided last year enough moving them around-I built a cart out of scrap materials from a deck build and added heavy wheels to the base. It works well in my situation as I can push it into a corner or some other area and have it out of the way, yet have it handy when I need to load or unload the kiln. It  is also easy to get it to the work area for kiln washing or scraping.  How do you store your shelves?

Simply retired teacher, not dead, living the dream. on and on and. . . . on. . . .                                                                                 http://picworkspottery.blogspot.com/

#2 Chilly

Chilly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 279 posts
  • LocationLangdon Hills, Essex, UK

Posted 06 February 2014 - 01:19 PM

There is a small gap above the cupboards under the bench in my greenhouse studio, that is just the right height for one shelf.  I know they say to store them vertically, but this way they are out of the way, in no danger of falling over, chipping or anything.  Three cupboards, one shelf on each, the fourth shelf lives in the kiln.

----------------------------------------------------------

Ann

http://www.readypeda...uk/pottery.html

#3 High Bridge Pottery

High Bridge Pottery

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts
  • LocationNewcastle Upon Tyne. England

Posted 06 February 2014 - 01:35 PM

I have two shelf brackets on the wall which hold my circle kiln shelves nicely. Only got the two  ;)

#4 Mark C.

Mark C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,075 posts
  • LocationNear Arcata Ca-redwood rain forest

Posted 06 February 2014 - 01:43 PM

I keep my shelves right next to my 5 working kilns-There is a pile for each kiln.I keep them on some wood off the ground/cement/gravel/etc and they stay dry this way.

They are never to far from the kiln from which they go into.I store all of them on edge leaning a tad so they do dot fall over in Earthquake .

It makes no sense for me to move them around more than I have to.

Mark

Mark Cortright
www.liscomhillpottery.com

#5 Pres

Pres

Retired Art Teacher

• Moderators
  • 2,094 posts
  • LocationCentral, PA

Posted 06 February 2014 - 02:29 PM

I use mostly 1/2 shelves now, and have about 10 of them for the L&L. I also have a smaller kiln, but have not purchased shelves for it yet. Figure I'll fire it stack wise for bisque only.

Simply retired teacher, not dead, living the dream. on and on and. . . . on. . . .                                                                                 http://picworkspottery.blogspot.com/

#6 neilestrick

neilestrick

Neil Estrick

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,807 posts
  • LocationGrayslake, IL

Posted 06 February 2014 - 02:54 PM

Just leaning against the wall next to the kilns.

Neil Estrick
Kiln Repair Tech
L&L Distributor
Owner, Neil Estrick Gallery, LLC
www.neilestrickgallery.com

neil@neilestrickgallery.com

#7 Norm Stuart

Norm Stuart

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 639 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 03:13 PM

I prefer leaning them against the wall as well - but we're outdoors so eventually they have to be covered.  Currently that means they stack onto a stainless wire shelf (from a closed bird store) covered by a tarp.  It seems every time I go to the studio it has been improved with everything organized in yet a new better way, with new containers so each time I get to relearn where everything is.  It reminds me of a bad joke where Helen Keller's parents would punish her by rearranging the furniture.

#8 High Bridge Pottery

High Bridge Pottery

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts
  • LocationNewcastle Upon Tyne. England

Posted 06 February 2014 - 03:50 PM

I prefer leaning them against the wall as well - but we're outdoors so eventually they have to be covered.  Currently that means they go onto a stainless wire shelf covered by a tarp.  It seems every time I go to the studio it has been improved with everything organized in yet a new better way, with new containers so each time I get to relearn where everything is.  It reminds me of a bad joke where Helen Keller's parents would punish her by rearranging the furniture.

I share my studio with a guy who loves to redesign and evolve the studio into a well organised machine so I know your pain.

I very much remember where things are by what I was doing when I last used them, not the type of guy to organise things unless a pile of stuff counts  ;)

#9 ayjay

ayjay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 358 posts
  • LocationHampshire, UK.

Posted 06 February 2014 - 04:00 PM

Me too: can there be somehow better?

#10 JBaymore

JBaymore

• Moderators
  • 3,025 posts
  • LocationWilton, NH USA

Posted 06 February 2014 - 04:17 PM

Me too: can there be somehow better?

Yes, if you have the luxury of space around your kilns, and a level concrete floor........ rolling heavy duty metal shelf carts that place the shelves at an appropriate height for lifting (closer to standing waist height".  Slots for the shelves that store them vertically and keep them from rattling against each other.

best,

.......................john

PS:  Don't have that luxury at my studio.

John Baymore
Immediate Past President; Potters Council
Professor of Ceramics; New Hampshire Insitute of Art

http://www.JohnBaymore.com

#11 neilestrick

neilestrick

Neil Estrick

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,807 posts
  • LocationGrayslake, IL

Posted 06 February 2014 - 05:04 PM

I have used shelf carts of various styles and heights and such, but I have not found anything I prefer to leaning them against the wall. In fact the slotted type of racks are my least favorite! Just like everything else in ceramics, there's a million preferred ways of doing things. For me there's no simple way to pick them up or set them down than leaning against a wall. Probably comes from my days working at a commercial glass shop where leaning glass on vertical racks was the norm all day long.

Neil Estrick
Kiln Repair Tech
L&L Distributor

#12 Pres

Pres

Retired Art Teacher

• Moderators
  • 2,094 posts
  • LocationCentral, PA

Posted 06 February 2014 - 05:20 PM

I didn't put slots in my cart. It is only made of 2X6 s and some trex type deck boards with a lower shelf for pieces which I use quite a bit.  As far as level, the garage has a drain in the center with the floor sloping towards it. Everything has to be leveled!

#13 Diane Puckett

Diane Puckett

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 398 posts
  • LocationAsheville, NC

Posted 06 February 2014 - 05:57 PM

Rolled between cabinets where they will fit vertically and are protected.

My fantasy studio has a very nice kiln shelf storage cart. With a hydraulic lift. Oh, and an automatic shelf cleaner and kiln wash applicator.
Diane Puckett
Dry Ridge Pottery

#14 flowerdry

flowerdry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 06 February 2014 - 07:32 PM

Garage with a drain in the center....lovely.  Would be worth having to level for me.

I just have my shelves stacked on a table next to the kiln.  Is it really that important to store them vertically?

Doris Hackworth

"Promoting the joy of handmade pottery"

#15 Marcia Selsor

Marcia Selsor

Professor Emerita, Montana State University-Billings

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,081 posts
  • Locationwhere Texas, Matamoros, Rio Grande and Gulf of Mexico come together.

Posted 06 February 2014 - 07:38 PM

I store them against the wall beside each kiln and up off the damp concrete floor on bricks
Marcia

#16 neilestrick

neilestrick

Neil Estrick

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,807 posts
  • LocationGrayslake, IL

Posted 06 February 2014 - 07:56 PM

Garage with a drain in the center....lovely.  Would be worth having to level for me.

I just have my shelves stacked on a table next to the kiln.  Is it really that important to store them vertically?

If they are warped, the weight of the shelves on top of them could crack them, theoretically.

Neil Estrick
Kiln Repair Tech
L&L Distributor

#17 Denice

Denice

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 707 posts
  • LocationWichita, Kansas

Posted 07 February 2014 - 10:04 AM

I built a one legged corner counter top for my test kiln and put dividers on the underside so I can lean different sizes of shelves.  They are safe and out of the way and won't fall over in a earthquake.  Didn't have to worry about earthquakes in Kansas until they started horizontal oil drilling now we have small ones all the time.  Denice

#18 Mart

Mart

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 11:30 AM

Under the kiln, with the rest of the kiln furniture.

#19 Joy pots

Joy pots

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 11:33 AM

I built a triangular plate type of rack that sits on a shelf beside my kiln. Thehalf shelves sit vertically in it & it's extremely easy to reach the shelves.

#20 Chris Throws Pots

Chris Throws Pots

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted 10 February 2014 - 01:56 PM

We have a rack someone built years ago. I added the top section for posts. We have 3 kilns, 2 of which are in use, hence plenty of open slots in the rack. Extra shelves and shelves that need to be ground get leaned against the wall.

Attached File  Shelf Rack.jpeg   42.79KB   4 downloads

Christopher Vaughn Pottery
Functional stoneware forms
handcrafted in Burlington, Vermont

www.ChrisThrowsPots.com

On Instagram @chris_throws_pots

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users