Important Ceramic Artists Who Should Be Known

A strand about the state of Art Education in Aesthetics led to naming important ceramic artists that are historically significant or influenced the ceramic art or technology. To begin with . . .  Marcia listed:  Yanagi, author of the "Unknown Craftsman", Bernard Leach, Hamada, and the young Rudy Autio and Peter Voulkos  Others were Beatrice Wood and Otto Heino,  Lucy Rie, Charles Fergus Binns, Edward Orton Jr,George E. Ohr  , Don Reitz, Johann Friedrich Böttger. One of my favorites as far as influencing the use of the extruder, slips and multilayered slip and glaze was John Glick.

Add to the list, name a few. 

best,

Pres

Carlo Zauli (Faenza-Italy)

Prof.Dr. Gaetano Ballardini (Faenza)

Hans Coper (Germany)

Robin Hopper (Canada)

Eva Zeisel (Hungary and USA)

Otto Lindig (Germany)

Horst Kerstan (Germany)

Edmund de Waal (UK)

Roberto Lugo (USA) "this machine kills hate"...

Lotte Reimers (Germany)

Will think of more.....

You know what. . . Why don't we start a list. . . Marcia listed:  Yanagi, author of the "Unknown Craftsman", Bernard Leach, Hamada, and the young Rudy Autio and Peter Voulkos  Others were Beatrice Wood and Otto Heino. Name names. let me know if we should do a separate strand and I will set it up. Who do you know of that you feel is important?

best,

Pres

Charles Fergus Binns

Edward Orton Jr

George E. Ohr  

Don Reitz

Johann Friedrich Böttger

lt

Late 19th and early 20th century: Adelaide Robineau, founder and editor for Keramos magazine and the Syracuse national competition that developed into the Everson Museum in Syracuse. Taught at the Women's University in St. Louis with Taxile Doat in the teens.

Maria Longworth Nichols Storer, founder of Rookwood Pottery in Cincinnati, 

Mary Chase Perry Stratton founder of Pewabic Pottery in Detroit

http://www.mfa.org/exhibitions/sara-galner-saturday-evening-girls-and-paul-revere-pottery

Sara Gainer and the Saturday Evening Girls and the Paul Revere Pottery  on Boston

• 2 weeks later...

I just listed contemporary artists on another thread. I want to add this one here. 

http://www.jessicaputnamphillips.com

She is a female combat veteran expressing her experiences in chinaware. I saw her work at the garden party show at NCECA and was at the panel on the GI bill and ceramics. 

I love her work.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Michael Cardew, Simon and David Leach, Shoji Hamada,  someone mentioned Hans Coper but did not mention Lucie Rie.  

There are artists that did ceramics which are interesting, including Picasso, Klee, Chagall, Miro, Gauguin.  They aren't potters but their work is interesting in use of color and surface design.  

Lady Kwali from Nigeria was an Abuja potter while Cardew was there.  She was unusual in that she came to the studio as an established female potter in the Nigerian tradition but overcame the (colonial) gender biases of the time.   (This whole thing is interesting because of the British intent to create a Nigerian pottery tradition; Cardew's training of local men as potters in a continent where women are overwhelmingly the potters and do amazing work--imperialism at its finest really).  We recently found some of the African pots that we had in storage....one in particular, probably from Congo, was beautifully round, thin and consistent to be mistaken for thrown, not coiled work, and beautifully reduced in a pit-fire.  

Sometimes, it's less of a potter, but a tradition.   Every region in the US has solid pottery traditions that are very different.  

• 7 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Not sure where to post but thought some here might be interested. Did not know him personally but have watched some of his videos. Seems to have made a serious impact in pottery and that is an accomplishment that few of us will achieve. 

https://www.minnpost.com/artscape/2019/01/warren-mackenzie-a-profoundly-influential-minnesota-potter/

Edited by Stephen

• Min pinned this topic

Whenever I think I can't go to the pottery for some reason or another, I always picture Warren MacKenzie walking out to his pottery at 90+ years of age. And when I'm really full of self pity I watch his video, "A Potter's Hands" and am ashamed of my insignificant whining. 

I feel the same way about Shoji Hamada. He sits or kneels and spins his wheel with a stick in "Art of the Potter" and creates beauty. 

How can I ever say "I'm too tired or too old or whatever" to go to the pottery?

Saw this artist on the History Channel a year back or so.

Anna Coleman Ladd was a porcelain sculptor who used her skill to make porcelain prosthetics for soldiers who had facial disfigurements after WW1. There was another woman from New York that made them for Civil War soldiers.. forgot her name.. sorry!

https://hyperallergic.com/314255/the-sculptor-who-made-masks-for-soldiers-disfigured-in-world-war-i/

Tom

My personal favorite- Taxtile Doat. - most crystalline glazers count him as the godfather of this speciality glaze.

http://history.ucpl.lib.mo.us/results.asp?search=Doat%2C+Taxile+Maximin%2C+1851-1939

check out the 4 foot wide porcelain bowl he threw in 1910. 2 assistants turned the wheel. 

Help found the University Pottery (University City, Mo.) 1910. Proceeds funded the Woman's' Sufrage Movement.

Teachers - he also wrote some of the earliest curriculum for Art Ed. 

Have toured what is now called: University Museum.  

• 5 months later...

My all time favorite-John Baymore.  June 16-19 John Baymore (is) “Headed off to South Korea ...in a week for an exhibition, then (the vessel with the neck will go) into a public collection.

The container is my single favorite piece of all things made of clay that I have seen to date.  John saysIt is not done yet. Next it gets overglaze enamels." 

62517965_10210346221331240_3814836548407394304_n.jpg

John Baymore-2019.jpg

For me, the all time favorite is Brother Thomas.  Every page in the 2 published books of his work that I have make me feel like the village idiot.  He had a huge range of glazes that were just masterful.  Besides which, his porcelain throwing skills were beyond my comprehension.  I don't know how much more art can do for you than that. 

4 hours ago, CactusPots said:

ya'all following along?

Following along---had an enjoyable time yesterday refreshing my memory and looking at his work. You (Cactus Pots) might like my Pinterestboard Clay People--has a few pics of him, and some of his work is in my Clay Continued and Clay More boards. https://www.pinterest.com/LeeUstinich/clay-people/

I think we should include Marcia Selsor  in our list,  her work with soluable salts, raku and pit and saggar firings is mind blowing .  She has probably has created as many potters has she has pots teaching at universities and around the world.     When I visited her in Yellowstone I would have bought one of her soluble salt pots she was taking out of a firing but they were already sold.   Denice

• 3 months later...
On 1/3/2019 at 7:52 AM, glazenerd said:

My personal favorite- Taxtile Doat. - most crystalline glazers count him as the godfather of this speciality glaze.

http://history.ucpl.lib.mo.us/results.asp?search=Doat%2C+Taxile+Maximin%2C+1851-1939

check out the 4 foot wide porcelain bowl he threw in 1910. 2 assistants turned the wheel. 

Help found the University Pottery (University City, Mo.) 1910. Proceeds funded the Woman's' Sufrage Movement.

Teachers - he also wrote some of the earliest curriculum for Art Ed. 

Have toured what is now called: University Museum.  

Taxile Doat is one of my favorites too. He came from the Sevres Porcelain factory in Paris at the invitation of Adelaide Robineau who's the Editor of Keramos and founder of the Syracuse National which established the collection at the Everson Museum. Robineau and Doat worked together in St. Louis at the University in the teens (1900 teens).