Important Ceramic Artists Who Should Be Known

Marcia:

Speaking of crystalline glaze- I read a thesis paper on crystalline glaze written by a student at SIU-C in 1973. As a historical perspective: 1973 was 25 years before any formal books on crystalline glaze was published ( Macro Crystalline Glaze by Peter Isley) I have read it several times: the insights and theorem are well within the boundaries of modern crystalline chemistry. The author of this thesis paper was YOU.

T

• 1 year later...
On 9/30/2019 at 7:57 PM, glazenerd said:

Marcia:

Speaking of crystalline glaze- I read a thesis paper on crystalline glaze written by a student at SIU-C in 1973. As a historical perspective: 1973 was 25 years before any formal books on crystalline glaze was published ( Macro Crystalline Glaze by Peter Isley) I have read it several times: the insights and theorem are well within the boundaries of modern crystalline chemistry. The author of this thesis paper was YOU.

T

written on a typewriter.!

Marcia

• 6 months later...

Thank you Akils

...also from the Times:

The Price of This Artist’s Work? A Conversation About the Horrors of War - The New York Times (nytimes.com)

also

Ehren Tool | Studio Potter

Edited by Hulk
oops, sorry - NYTimes does allow limited access for non-subcribers, used to be ten articles per month ...may be five now

I enjoy the delightful O'keefe reminiscent forms of Martha Grover.

https://www.marthagrover.com/

Even though these are not a style far from my own, I can relate to them, and find them quite pleasing. I have seen Martha demonstrate a few times at conferences and she always amazes me with her use of the wheel, un bottomed forms that she reshapes and adds bottoms to, and the control of the porcelain. These attributes are only enhanced by her subtle use of accent color.

best,

Pres

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Toshiko Takaezu. 1922-2011 She was awarded Living Treasure Award in 1987 in Hawaii. Known for her closed forms. She was my first influence when I started learning in 1982. 

Michael Zakin. 1913-2005 She was one o the first women to build and fire a salt kiln, and her work with carbonized clay is in major collections internationally. (I have one). She was close to Karen Karnes and was an incredible teacher who established The Old Church Cultural Center in Demarest, NJ. That is where I first encountered her in 1989, She created a different world in her classroom, where the world was good and creations were nurtured.

We my list is maybe a bit more personal

That is people I knew or not who influenced me during the past 50 years either in collage or beyond-now beyond is since 1976

Some are still alive but most are not.

Some partied with back in the day  when I did that some not 

All influenced me to varying degrees

Some I have pieces in my Collection some not most where trades

Warren Mackenzie

John Glick

Robert Arneson-lived next to my sister in Davis long ago

Don Sprague

Richard Shaw

Robert Sperry

Howard Kottler

On a more personal level of influence