What’s on your workbench?

1 hour ago, Denice said:

I just put a nice size coiled pot in my drying cabinet which is now full.   My work table needs to be cleaned  covered with clay dust and crumblies,  my other work table is covered with glazed pots I unloaded from a firing recently.   Mark C found a Brent C wheel on E Bay for me to buy so now I need to sell it my kick wheel locally.  I hope I can find someone who will love it as much as I do,  I can't kick it up anymore  to the speed it needs to be.      Denice

I love trimming on kick wheels. I totally miss that, haven't had a kick wheel for 10 years.

13 minutes ago, neilestrick said:

Definitely on a waster. Otherwise that foot's gonna warp.

The warping of a particular ceramic object should be related to the gravitational forces of the object and the thermal effects on material strength (aka softening), so how will adding a "waster" (which I understand is just a slab of clay between the ware and the kiln shelf) prevent warping?

LT

40 minutes ago, Magnolia Mud Research said:

The warping of a particular ceramic object should be related to the gravitational forces of the object and the thermal effects on material strength (aka softening), so how will adding a "waster" (which I understand is just a slab of clay between the ware and the kiln shelf) prevent warping?

LT

When you have a cylinder that is open on the bottom, as it tries to shrink it will catch on the shelf and warp. By putting a slab under it, the slab will shrink with the cylinder, allowing the cylinder to shrink freely. I've even had tall foot rings on large bowls warp.

Right now, I have some wood working stuff on my bench.  I'm trying to finish up some night stands, that I made for my Wife, as a gift for her birthday... Which was in December...

I've done some cleaning recently, as I am going into Graduation Mug Mode, for my students. 

My workbench is full of ugly bisque again. I really is my least favourite stage. But a week and a half ago, I decided it would be a good idea to document some new compost buckets before I was packing them up to go to a sale. These are much nicer pictures!

Before you make fun of me for my product staging, I was legit making soup stock with the Easter turkey.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

20 hours ago, Callie Beller Diesel said:

My workbench is full of ugly bisque again. I really is my least favourite stage. But a week and a half ago, I decided it would be a good idea to document some new compost buckets before I was packing them up to go to a sale. These are much nicer pictures!

Love the contrast of the red clay and the fat white glaze of the top pic! Does that glaze have tin ?

On 4/14/2018 at 10:13 PM, oldlady said:

today i had things on my workbench i would be happy to let anyone see.  hope they all make it through the next steps to finished product.

i would be happy if i could capture in the final firing that soft color of the slip.  who knows how it will look when it is finished?

Love where you're going with your decoration "pushing the envelope" of your forms!!

4 hours ago, Rae Reich said:

Love the contrast of the red clay and the fat white glaze of the top pic! Does that glaze have tin ?

Thank you!

It’s actually a cone 6 titanium yellow. It’s the same recipe I put in Ceramics monthly in the February issue, but if you don’t have that one and you’d like it, pm me and I’ll get it to you.

Two glaze kiln loads on bench yesterday-all priced and boxed-some going to upcoming big show some going on 8 hour drive to Santa Rosa wholesale  in am and killing two birds on that am trip with a gallery drop off in Eureka in afternoon on return drive.

Bench is clean today

Yeah, glaze is in 2 am. Tomorrow we sleep! packing on Thursday night. Hmmm better get some bz cards printed up for promotion. Always something. However, weather was perfect today, high 70's and sunshine.

best,

Pres

Last Wedesday It looked like a wheel repair shop on my bench-really my outside tables next to kilns under large metal roof

I bought a new old stock model A new in the box. These have not been made for 15 -20 years or more. I took it apart and sealed the deck edge and bottom with 6 coats of clear sealer (pressboard with a plastic top )

I also replaced the top deck hardware with stainless steel fasteners and replaced the belt since the original belt had a flat spot from sitting 20 years.I had all the parts as I have a model A already for trimming. This is my 6th Brent wheel now.Not sure what I'm doing with the two extras wheel yet as I use  only 4 of them now.

Thursday my bench was filled with bisque ware -Friday it all got glazed and loaded into two kilns and today Saturday the bench is empty.

Monday the bench will be covered with two glaze fires unloading-pricing and packing-some to my outlet a few (one box) to mothers day show at UC Davis next weekend and most summer back stock .Monday night bench will be again empty. Its about every week-pots on bench pots gone pots on bench pots gone. 

IMG_0013.jpg

IMG_0014.jpg

IMG_0006.jpg

IMG_0018.jpg

IMG_0019.jpg

Edited by Mark C.

On 5/5/2018 at 12:32 PM, Mark C. said:

Last Wedesday It looked like a wheel repair shop on my bench-really my outside tables next to kilns under large metal roof

I bought a new old stock model A new in the box. These have not been made for 15 -20 years or more. I took it apart and sealed the deck edge and bottom with 6 coats of clear sealer (pressboard with a plastic top )

I also replaced the top deck hardware with stainless steel fasteners and replaced the belt since the original belt had a flat spot from sitting 20 years.I had all the parts as I have a model A already for trimming. This is my 6th Brent wheel now.Not sure what I'm doing with the two extras wheel yet as I use  only 4 of them now.

Thursday my bench was filled with bisque ware -Friday it all got glazed and loaded into two kilns and today Saturday the bench is empty.

Monday the bench will be covered with two glaze fires unloading-pricing and packing-some to my outlet a few (one box) to mothers day show at UC Davis next weekend and most summer back stock .Monday night bench will be again empty. Its about every week-pots on bench pots gone pots on bench pots gone. 

Awesome Mark!  Where did you find that wheel?  I've come across that model online a few times.  It looks like Brent's take on the Shimpo RK.

Speaking of, I have a RK, in my classroom, that I've been meaning to restore.  It works well enough, but the attached splash pan is toast, and the inner workings need a good once (or twice) over.  And while I'm at it, maybe a new, dynamic paint job...

I guess I could also mention my "Workbench" in my classroom, that has way more projects than necessary going on at one time.  In the fall, I have an Amaco wheel I was fixing, student projects, that I was repairing, glazes and slips I was mixing, project demos/ examples, etc.  Every year I promise myself I will keep the space cleaner.  And every year, it ends up looking the same...