What's your Mug?

My mug preference is a good handle.  I have small hands & arthritis, so my grip is poor therefore a thicker handle helps.  I have about 4 mugs self made that I prefer,all different in shape & size.  They are mostly ones I used for demo when I was teaching.  I also like throwing ribs & dents on mugs & often hold under the handle.

joy

You can call this "tooting my own horn," or you can call it "putting my money where my mouth is." My most favorite mug is one that I made. It's the perfect size (20 oz) with a comfortable handle. It feels good to hold it. It's easy to clean. In other words, the reason I feel confident selling my work because I know it works and it's a pleasure to use. I have a decent stock of "favorite mugs" some made by me and some made by others. When it is this mug's turn, I feel an extra jolt. Most of the self-made pots in my kitchen are seconds. This is the one time I let myself keep a first. 

IMG_1221.JPG.209c14b125019125fee24609cbaaf3c0.JPG

Earlier this year I was messing around with leaving part of red clay pots unglazed and wanted to test some pieces to make sure the clay was tight enough to resist staining with everyday use. This is my basic tall mug shape and the red clay ones are now my go to ones. My favourite for most of this year,  clay and glaze testing mugs that turned into my go to ones. 

red mug.jpg

I have 3 that I return to on the regular. The little green guy is by Connie Pike, and she and her husband Bob are mentors of mine. It's the right size if I've made a pot of tea, as opposed to right in the cup. I can refill it, and it's always hot.

The white one is a woodfired celadon item from Sean Kuntz, and I have a strange relationship with it. Again, it's the right size, but the fact that it's so precise makes my brain twitch a bit. The handle takes a bit to get used to.  It's tactile and beautifully proportioned on the pot, but it takes a bit to find a comfortable position to hold it in. 

The brown one is one I got out of the soda in Medicine Hat last January.  I showed the pretty side, but it's got a really nice thumb spot opposite. This is the one I go to if I'm making the tea right in the cup, as it's a bit larger.  Because I made it, it fits my hand just right. I tend to build in fidget spots between the handle and the body, a thumb spot on the belly, and there's an indent on the bottom where I put my mark that also holds a thumb or finger comfortably. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• 1 month later...

IMG_4121.JPG.0c5e5f45ecd3ba14714ba44b74c24994.JPGI end up using mugs I recently made the most often.  I also try to make mugs I'd like to use, so I end up using ones I make.  I do have a mug from Matt Hylek I like a lot (really great handle and lip) and I've made mugs that my wife likes to use that I don't. I made the pictured mug as a decoration and glaze test.  It is at my parents house, and my wife or I tend to seek it out and drink from it all day.  It holds about 30 oz. 

This is one of my own that I particularly like right now. It keeps coffee warm, holds a lot, and the handle fits well for either handle holder or through the loop cup gripper. The last is particularly useful for those of us with arthritic hands!:wacko:

best,

Pres

mug12.2017.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a cup I recently made (this is green, but I glazed it and gave it to my father in law for Christmas) you can see some of Fred’s inspiration in it. I also love Simon Levin’s mug shapes, there may be some of that influence as well. 

In this pic the handle looks big, but my cups are in fact, smaller. I make cups that need to be re filled rather than coffee getting cold on the bottom. 

D993B1CC-5A10-461C-AE59-3333D84DC603.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

My current mug of choice holds about 20 oz, red stoneware without handles, glazed in tourmaline, blue, and purple, an impression of waves covering the whole exterior. It is heavy and more or less cylindrical, but slightly irregular in shape. It is something of a self-portrait.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

It is interesting how many of us like our own mugs the best! I used to ask people what attributes they sought in a  mug. Hard to describe, easy to recognize when you feel it. So, Like the rest of you, I make mugs the way I like them. I am always amused when someone says, "oh how nice! You are a potter. What do you make,  He He - MUGS?"

• 3 weeks later...

Like others have said, I use mugs that I have made recently to see how I like them.  I am using a second from this series where the glaze flowed too much.  I noticed people often trying to stack my mugs.  So I made these to be stacked.  

LA Foster

lafosterceramics.com

DSC_1281.JPG

With Mark on this but because I am a potter folk tend not to gift me pots:-(((((

so I have a cupboard of my seconds which people can walk away with if like them and a couple made by old friends who no longer pot which I treasure.

I made a glaze error a few weeks ago and this was the result a  semi Matt large mug which is just the right size for my morning coffee. It holds the whole ceramic clever dripper which we use daily and it makes the best brew.So as of the past few weeks this is my am coffee mug. It seems I use smaller mugs during the rest of the day.

IMG_0150.jpg

Archived