QotW: How far do you have to drive to get to a ceramics supply store?

Last Summer, I took a trip to Pittsburgh to buy some materials that I hadn't purchased in a long time. I happened to pull out the receipt today when working on taxes. Added up the mileage, and the lunch for my wife and myself. .  got me thinking. How far do some folks have to drive to get to a ceramics supply store. I sometimes think I am lucky to have Standard Ceramics at least 2 hrs away from me, otherwise I would be looking in there at least once a month.

QotW: How far do you have to drive to get to a ceramics supply store?

best,

Pres 

Local place is about 30 minute drive, it's the only one in the area. Before the land border shut down I would pick up most of the expensive materials either from a shipping drop site just across the border or I would drive the 2 1/2hrs to Seattle and buy materials there.

1 hour ago, Pres said:

I sometimes think I am lucky to have Standard Ceramics at least 2 hrs away from me, otherwise I would be looking in there at least once a month.

I know exactly what you mean! Sometimes it seems unfair that there is an automotive or hardware store on every corner and yet ceramic supply places are far and few between, but maybe thats a good thing after all! I remember my dad always saying a boat was a hole in the water you throw money into, sometimes it seems a kiln is a fire into which you throw money.

Interesting question Pres. I drive about 50 minutes to get to Portland Pottery's Braintree, MA store. I am grateful to have a place nearby. They sell Laguna and Standard clays. I can easily pick up clay and materials.

One day I am going to take the 3 hour trip to Sheffield Pottery, Sheffield, MA.  And I am about 3.5-4 hours from Bailey Pottery. 

Betty

@Bam2015, I have been to Bailey's a couple of times, mostly during camping trips when I could get the wife and kids to agree to a stop. I usually had a car full of camping gear so would only pick up a few hand tools or brushes, maybe an underglaze or two. Still nice to visit.

In all of the trips to New England, never stopped at Sheffield Pottery.

best,

Pres

Nearest one to me is about 20 minutes, but that assumes you aren’t going through the industrial area when they’re backing and loading cars in the train yard. This causes many a long traffic line because of the one lousy intersection.

But if I go to the supplier, it’s usually a good 4 hour errand, because the place I get shipping supplies and the place I get my bags and tissue are also on the way. Plus you have to allow for the gossip time while you’re there, the Tim Horton’s run, etc etc. 

Seventy five miles is the closest, in Seattle, but requires taking a ferry so it's about 2.5 hrs travel one way. The second closest shop is in Tacoma, one hundred miles away, but just under two hours drive, so that's where we shop. I coordinate with a potter neighbor to make supply runs.

I have a supplier about 10 minutes away. that said there was no supplier within a 8 hour drive most of my 50 year career . So I had to be my own supplier and thats almost still true today. I do buy a few items locally when I'm in need between my usual truck orders.Its a small shop with no equipment for sale usually

Edited by Mark C.

200 miles, 4 hours one way to Denver.  A couple of mountain passes, but we have friends and family in Denver so it's always fun to make a trip out of it.  Restaurants, museums, shows.  You make it count.  And all my friends and family know where the clay shop is, so I can pay for it over the phone and they will stop to pick things up for me.  It works.

right now, mapquest says i can get to highwater in clearwater, fl in 14 minutes and it's recommended route is 5.2 miles.  maps do not show that most of that is through heavy garbage truck  traffic to the landfill and all the many trucks servicing the  industrial areas.   i choose to drive 5.3 miles on normal highways.

at home in wv, it is about 65 miles to baltimore or 65 miles to alexandria va.   i love going to baltimore and visit lots of places while i am there.

I am lucky,  I  have a supplier that is about a 20 minute drive.  The next closest supplier is in Kansas City which 175 miles from my house.   I needed a bag of Flinthill Clay to complete a project, my supplier didn't carry it anymore  so I had to order it from Kansas City.   They had bought the  Flinthill Clay Co.,  I paid 25$ for one 25lb bag of clay and 25$ freight on it.   My local ceramic shop doesn't have much clay in stock right now.   I hope what I have in my shop will last me until they get more clay in.    Denice

• Pres unpinned this topic