QotW: What are your beliefs about the time to reopen the economy and returning to Summer craft shows?

Looks like way more of a pain than a swing top lid.  I took the wire bails off of an old swing top mason jar last night and bent all the parts out of new wire, put it back together and it worked a dandy.  I think I'll just bend my own swing top lids!  I bend wire all day for my day job, so it only took a minute to bend the swingtop

Edited by liambesaw

25 minutes ago, liambesaw said:

Looks like way more of a pain than a swing top lid.  I took the wire bails off of an old swing top mason jar last night and bent all the parts out of new wire, put it back together and it worked a dandy.  I think I'll just bend my own swing top lids!  I bend wire all day for my day job, so it only took a minute to bend the swingtop

Bravo! Much better suited to the media than crunchy clay-to-clay solutions! 

Now that crunch on crunch is solvable, I used to use the a  paste cleaning compound with grit in it on lids of vanity boxes. put it on the bottom, little water, put lid on and spin away. I often would use the griffin grip to help me get it done quickly. They would feel silky afterward, and no crunchy sound. Made them much nicer. I would think that the same type of paste would work on lids for growlers.

best,

Pres

• Pres unpinned this topic
On 4/21/2020 at 6:42 PM, liambesaw said:

:lol:

Yeah just thought of stoneware on stoneware grinding gets my jaws hurting.  One of those questions "can it be done? Yes.  Should it be done? Maybe not"

One of the worst sounds, I've ever heard, was when I tried to sharpen an underglaze stick, in a hand sharpener.  Normally high pitched noises don't get me, but this one did...

Thus the name chalkies. For teachers.

Those "fancy" ones which pushed up and down to reveal other boards often didnt have written on them what the teacher thought he was revealing:-))

Best teachers knew what to expect..been there done that sorta mischief themselves.....

On 4/21/2020 at 11:48 AM, liambesaw said:

Couple bucks for mason jar pre made wiring and silicon gasket. Used to use them as a lesson in shrinkage and fabrication. Can  you plan this project and all the parts and shrinkage required? Fun project to show folks, it’s not so hard and they get a very useable  cool container when finished.

DB494513-CFA2-4B0B-BF8C-C0E6D53B8438.jpeg

Edited by Bill Kielb

On 4/22/2020 at 8:25 AM, Pres said:

Now that crunch on crunch is solvable, I used to use the a  paste cleaning compound with grit in it on lids of vanity boxes. put it on the bottom, little water, put lid on and spin away. I often would use the griffin grip to help me get it done quickly. They would feel silky afterward, and no crunchy sound. Made them much nicer. I would think that the same type of paste would work on lids for growlers.

best,

Pres

That's great for those kinds of lids, but twisting threaded lids open and closed enough times to smooth gives me carpal tunnel just thinking about :blink:

20 minutes ago, Hulk said:

"Did anyone live through the chalk blackboard era...."

yeps, and music class as well

I really liked chalk boards! Much more than white boards of today. It made writing (legibly) much much easier for me. When they converted to all white boards I was devastated and routinely would find some knucklehead wrote on one of the boards with a regular marker. Mostly instructors BTW judging from content and handwriting. Never screeched my chalk .............. unless I wanted to of course.

Edited by Bill Kielb

I was one of the ones ahead of the curve with white boards, as I often taught night classes in visual programs. I used the white boards and other projection equipment to aid in demonstrating techniques to classes in Photoshop, Corel Draw, Illustrator,  the Gimp. Much of this was due to my teaching animation classes in the HS starting in 1987.

best,

Pres

Pres you could start writing the book now you have time on your hands.

Teachers have all sorts of gems...in the days of intercom connection from office to class one teacher was summoned to f.office. She had in her class a student who had "out of his seatitis"

So she left intercom on , went to f. Office, 

and after  a few minutes said into intercom, " Johnny B sit down please!"

She returned to a classroom of ashen faced kids and a stuck to his seat Johnny B.

Super teacher!!! Could see through 10 walls and down a set of stairs!!

oh, hulk, that brings back some really good memories.   our  very tiny, 113 students in my grade, class put on some really fine musical performances.   it was a small catholic school in detroit and we had a nun who was a former opera singer.   i just wish i could find the 4 part Ave Maria we did.    we performed in the church mostly, was surprised to find it is now the cathedral for detroit.

To bring this thread back onto topic:

With everything I've been reading lately about the current state of the virus spread, and the very possible/ fairly likely second wave in the fall, it would be best if we didn't have any activities with large groups until we have a vaccine, or can prove that we have acquired herd immunity (which may not be possible). I think about this every day and how it affects my business, income, and safety, and it's a hard thing to find the balance in my mind at this point. Not having income form shows is a big hit to my income, but at what point is it worth risking my health or community health?

It is a very hard issue to come to terms with.

Social responsibility of one's actions weighs heavily.

The consequences of incorrect responses would be hard to live with if one was to survive.

It is a time for critical thinking for sure.

Ways will be found Neil.

Best practices emanate from individual homes.

Stay safe.