QotW: What are your beliefs about the time to reopen the economy and returning to Summer craft shows?

I agree with you Neil, it is a difficult situation. Recent reports show that this virus can exist in an individual and be contagious without any symptoms, and that individuals with antivirus or having recovered without, are still able to be reinfected. This is going to make it difficult moving forward with out a vaccine. As much as we all want to return to our normal lives, it really doesn't look like there is a quick fix.

best,

Pres

I'm still thinking and planning for a very very long no show period .Sales at galleries when they start up also will be weak. (less tourists and spooked people  for good reason)

sales at my markets will also be less. I am getting more personal contact sales thru returning customers which is fine but I'm having to ship myself more now and I have stepped up and been doing that.Most of those sales(99%) are from far away places. Like Mondays boxes are going to Wa  and Mo-all returning customers from my show base of customers.

I was trying to slow down before this all hit and now I'm a bit slower than I thought so I'm adjusting to this new norm .

I am thankful I had three streams of pottery income and still have one solid one (essential natural food markets)

these are the streams and how they now stand

1 shows-direct sales to customers-still have them contacting me for small sales 

2 wholesale-galleries-markets-bakeries-still have a few orders from galleries and markets are still open selling work

3-consignment-galleries-closed up tight- but one is selling online ok

I agree that we will be looking at a really slow return process. I have been surprised however that some of my venues have actually increased. It is an interesting problem going forward, and I really don't know what we will see going forward.

Biggest question mark in my area is the Penn State Festival of the Arts. This show in conjunction with the Peoples Choice show is held on the Alumni weekend at Penn State. Put the 3 events together and you have a HUGE crowd. As that show is in the 2-3 week of July, I really don't see it happening. People would be walking for blocks packed 10 deep in some places. If hot, even worse.

best,

Pres

Spring Green still hasn't cancelled their art fair, which meets the last weekend in June. They say they'll make a decision by June 1. I think I'm going to drop out regardless, because I don't really feel comfortable doing a big travel show that soon. Staying in a hotel and being exposed to thousands of people just doesn't seem like the right thing to do this summer.

Here in Illinois today a judge overturned the governor's stay at home order. A down-state rep claimed that the governor overstepped his authority by extending the stay at home, because his original disaster declaration expired on  April 9th. The rep is from a rural part of the state in the middle of nowhere, with a small population, so they haven't seen many Covid cases. So he filed a lawsuit so his people can get back to work, without any consideration at all to what that would do to those of us in the Chicago area where we're seeing more than 2,000 new cases every day. I only hope that there will be a stay on the ruling and it works its way up to the state supreme court and the governor wins. It's really stressing me out, though. If the lockdown is lifted, then we all have to choose between opening back up and possibly getting sick, or staying closed and not being eligible for any unemployment funds because on paper there's no danger. I just can't believe how reckless people are willing to be with other's peoples lives.

Also, the Illinois unemployment insurance system for the self-employed might not be up and running until May 11, so two more weeks of waiting there until I know if I'll be getting any financial help, and the IRS and the state are taking forever with our tax returns since they're so different than our 2018 returns because my wife opened a business last year. Sorry to unload on all of you, but I'm starting to feel the stress of all this uncertainty.

Oh Neil, it is indeed a really awful situation for you!.

Stress is really unhealthy. I know this from situations I have lived through.

Finding a way of letting go the  continuous brain chatter of the" what ifs " is hard but key to coming out the other side.

Not helpful in setting a course through this but finding, cementing in a time each day where you leave all those worries outside your "door" and focussing instead on something, or nothing , which relaxes and nurtures you is key to staying healthy and capable.

Take care. Hug your kids, talk to your dogs.

Tackle the tax stuff with a dispassionate brain.

In midst of tax yesterday my computer flashed a quick message. Your pc needs repair and shut down. Our financial year ends in June 30th.

Inthe past I would have been in melt down hair pulling state.

Because many dear friends lost everything in recent fires......I handled it in a completely different manner. 

Just saying.

So much out of your control out there.

You can take action in personal protection and hygiene in workplace to ensure you return home safe and clean. Just saying.

We have a shower in shed so we clean, andchange clothes if dealing with chemicals before going into our home...a possibility in your studio?

Take care.

@neilestrick  I do not dare run my mouth about the evils of the "on paper the danger is past/unrecognized" and the highly dangerous position people who won't use physical distance, or gloves & masks, or stay out of non-essential locations are putting the rest of us in. This truly is politics and legislation and self-interests "weaponized" against public health and fair economic relief for those who need it.  Breathe, baby, breathe.  Slow in, slow out, and do it a lot.  Have a cup of peppermint tea and try not to punch a tree.  I am so sorry for all the artists/craftsmen & self-employed  creatives who are so hard hit by--not the virus per se--but by those in power positions who are either short-sighted and ignorant or just plain greedy. I'll stop now-best I do! 

@Babs thank you for the support! I just ordered a new hard drive and battery today for one of our old laptops so the kids can use it. Computers are awesome until they aren't.

I really shouldn't complain. We're fine on money for now. It's just that it seems like everything is on hold and it would be nice if at least something would move forward. We filed our taxes more than a month ago, figuring that we would be able to get our refunds before everything went bad. It'll happen eventually, I'm just frustrated with waiting.

Today I tried to figure out how to deal with my classes once the lockdown is over, and I realized there's no way to fit all my wheels in the studio with safe distancing, even if I take out the work tables. I've got options to make it work, though, so that gave me some peace of mind. And I know my students will be willing to do whatever it takes to make it work. They're good people. This will all get worked out eventually, and life will be good. I'm glad to have a place to vent my frustrations. Thanks, all!

As the weather gets better have them take them outside for the day. I used to do that in grad work at Penn State. Other option is to use the hallways. especially if they are concrete, tile or composite floors. I have put up insulation board as booth separators, a little duck tape and you have folding self contained areas for splash shields.

best,

Pres

2 hours ago, neilestrick said:

@Babs thank you for the support! I just ordered a new hard drive and battery today for one of our old laptops so the kids can use it. Computers are awesome until they aren't.

I really shouldn't complain. We're fine on money for now. It's just that it seems like everything is on hold and it would be nice if at least something would move forward. We filed our taxes more than a month ago, figuring that we would be able to get our refunds before everything went bad. It'll happen eventually, I'm just frustrated with waiting.

Today I tried to figure out how to deal with my classes once the lockdown is over, and I realized there's no way to fit all my wheels in the studio with safe distancing, even if I take out the work tables. I've got options to make it work, though, so that gave me some peace of mind. And I know my students will be willing to do whatever it takes to make it work. They're good people. This will all get worked out eventually, and life will be good. I'm glad to have a place to vent my frustrations. Thanks, all!

It is ok to vent your feelings away from the home hearth. Folk here can empathise with your situation because many are facing similar situations.

It is healthy in fact.  Sounds like you have good people in your classes so if really and I mean really brought home that any state of unwellness in self or at home, -dont appear,( I know it is not a 100% er),and that everyone treats each other with respect and maintains the hygiene required for a food safe prep area, I feel pottery classes are a possible go to..when working folk tend to be very focussed on own projects...1/2 on wheels half on  hand build..lots of thoughts...take home buckets for scraps and waste??

Scrub up or down as enter room, ditto on leaving.

Nothing is eaten or drunk in clay shed anyway.

We pay tax on a presumed income based on previous years.....so I too am awaiting a return to Babs as we scale down due to age........our worrying does nothing to the roll out speed from those departments....

I am almost learning these gems of wisdom in my septuagenarian years :-)))))

My kids early on spent weeks making their own versions of board games..sets of cards , pieces to move etc etc Their rules were brutal. I kept them and handed them over. Hate to think they binned them but prob did.

• 2 weeks later...

I’m really not sure, I think that we should probably wait until the science is in. I really feel bad for the children though, they’re losing a lot of socializing which is very important for this part of their childhood. I’m afraid that this is going to have devastating impacts on the new were generation and their ability to socialize with people.

As a retired educator, I am glad to be out at this time. My granddaughter is a senior, she is the salutatorian, no pomp and circumstance for these kids, no prom, senior trip, graduation, the class that never graduates. Hopefully something can be worked out to make some of it up to them.

bst,

Pres

Even though we’ve had some big outbreaks in my area (Calgary is a hotspot), new cases are declining and over half the cases so far have recovered. Reopening plans are staggered, and all but the first step have no fixed date. The easing of the levels of restrictions are dependent on case numbers still falling before the next step can happen. The plan looks ok on paper so far. So some tentative good news there! But as with everything in this potter’s life...it depends. I’m watching the numbers to make sure things seem under control before I go to any markets. 

The upshot of this is my summer farmer’s market has been tentatively given the go ahead to have non food vendors, so here is what some reopening might look like. They will be adding 6’/2m of space between each booth to encourage more physical distancing, and foot traffic will be one way only. If need be, the area of the market will be increased to allow for additional space. We will all be required to have hand sanitizer for ourselves and our customers and are encouraged to wear masks. Gloves are optional as people tend not to use them correctly. We have been asked to consider keeping our displays towards the front of our booths using our tables or other fixtures as barriers, so that physical distance is easier to maintain. Plexiglass barriers are optional. We need to provide contactless payment options (some vendors were cash only). There will be no food sampling, and the food vendors all need hand wash stations in addition to the sanitizer. The area the market is in is quite spacious, and even though a lot of folks go through there, the distance thing should be fairly easy to maintain there. Easier than the grocery store anyways.

It doesn’t start until the end of June, but as long as case numbers keep going down, I have to assume I’m back on the job next month. 

19 minutes ago, Callie Beller Diesel said:

Even though we’ve had some big outbreaks in my area (Calgary is a hotspot), new cases are declining and over half the cases so far have recovered. Reopening plans are staggered, and all but the first step have no fixed date. The easing of the levels of restrictions are dependent on case numbers still falling before the next step can happen. The plan looks ok on paper so far. So some tentative good news there! But as with everything in this potter’s life...it depends. I’m watching the numbers to make sure things seem under control before I go to any markets. 

The upshot of this is my summer farmer’s market has been tentatively given the go ahead to have non food vendors, so here is what some reopening might look like. They will be adding 6’/2m of space between each booth to encourage more physical distancing, and foot traffic will be one way only. If need be, the area of the market will be increased to allow for additional space. We will all be required to have hand sanitizer for ourselves and our customers and are encouraged to wear masks. Gloves are optional as people tend not to use them correctly. We have been asked to consider keeping our displays towards the front of our booths using our tables or other fixtures as barriers, so that physical distance is easier to maintain. Plexiglass barriers are optional. We need to provide contactless payment options (some vendors were cash only). There will be no food sampling, and the food vendors all need hand wash stations in addition to the sanitizer. The area the market is in is quite spacious, and even though a lot of folks go through there, the distance thing should be fairly easy to maintain there. Easier than the grocery store anyways.

It doesn’t start until the end of June, but as long as case numbers keep going down, I have to assume I’m back on the job next month. 

Wow lucky, we are still food-only at the markets here.  Not even flowers which is completely bizarre. 

We’ve also been stuck at home for two months except for essential services for 7 weeks, and starting the reopening may be premature. Cases are going down, but there have been large outbreaks at a few critical meat packing plants and at the Amazon warehouse. So ...it depends.

They're making plans, but they’re also saying if the numbers start going up again, back home we go. 

3 hours ago, Callie Beller Diesel said:

We’ve also been stuck at home for two months except for essential services for 7 weeks, and starting the reopening may be premature. Cases are going down, but there have been large outbreaks at a few critical meat packing plants and at the Amazon warehouse. So ...it depends.

They're making plans, but they’re also saying if the numbers start going up again, back home we go. 

Same.  I've been laid off since March 20th and have been in lockdown since the week before that.  I am an essential worker by law, but apparently not essential enough to actually have work to do.

Been a lot of fun here in the land of schooling two kids for 7 hours a day.  Pretty sure i could never cut it as a teacher now, drives me totally nuts.  On top of that my wife thinks this is a great time to remodel everything in the house, and fishing and camping are CLOSED.  Sooooooo, it's a lot like hell here in Seattle :lol:

Used to live in Tacoma years ago, one of my favorite places. However, after visiting the area in the last few years after retirement, the lack of sun, gets to me. Still love the country, and the cities. Hate the traffic! As far as teaching, it really does take a special breed, patience, dedication, long hours and short lunches. In the long run I loved it, and never believed I would end up as lucky as I did.

best,

Pres

Madison Art Fair on the Square, one of the largest shows in the midwest, just cancelled. It was scheduled for July 11 & 12, but they said the county will be under restrictions for large groups until at least July 15. Kohler Art Fair, also held in July, sent out a notice yesterday that they will decide in the next couple of days whether or not to cancel. I think Madison will help them make that decision. I'm still undecided as to whether or not I would attend if they don't cancel it. But probably not.

I do a show in Wa state every August-since 1993 they are a non profit but are really focused on making that money-I mean really focused-they just sent out a survey monkey on dates for the show in Sept-as tey know its off for this summer. We as artists have other obligations on other dates-really a bad thought moving the show dates.

Many artists have cancelled.I suggested putting all the energy into next year-moving the show dates is always a BAD idea always. Folks have other oblgations and the public knows the datse not the new ones-always a less turn out on another weekend-always less money. I'm hopefull they will see the light and give it up. I do not think its a viable time for a show.,unless there is a major health breakthru. (by sept small chance) Yes I;m a professional but after my 45 years in this I know a bad idea when its floated.

I used to be on the organizing committees for a few shows in the area, the Penn State Altoona show, and the Pennsylvania Festival of the Arts in State. This was back in the 80-90's. One of the biggest concerns was finding the proper weekend. State College show was always tied to Alumni weekend, and no one in the area would dare at the time to have a show or event, except for Port Matilda. . . They would use the traffic to fill their street festival, making it difficult to get though town if traveling to State from the west. Go figure!

best,

Pres

One of our large events, a hot air balloon festival, was just cancelled.  It is held in August.  I had organized local  potters to make mugs for the pilots.  Looks like we can get a jump on 2021.   As my sourdough bread baking skills are being honed and I have more time for bird identification,  (maybe I will make another bird bath?)  I just keep wondering what the Holiday sales season will look like.   We will know when we get there, I guess!  

Roberta

Summer gatherings in Ca are all canceled-the fall is on the fence leaning heavily towards closed. The cal sate university system (largest in the country) is all online in the fall.

I do not think I will do any shows this year-very slight chance I may do my private outside xmas sale as its a perfect covid-19 venue with only one or two customers -outside and the 6 feet apart is easy at that location-booth is one long setup about 24 feet long-outside under huge overhang. I would have to want to do it and find some younger sales help-(6 hours a day sale)I'll see how I feel then which is two weeks before xmas-I will have to decide to send in my 200$ rent by November so thats a ways off still

Our fair board meets this coming week to talk about our local show-I am going to push for using the jury results this year for next year so we get something for our work already done this year on show and return all the funds and cancel show which is 3rd weekend in Sept.

All of my shows through July and some into August have officially cancelled. I didn't even bother to apply to any September shows except one small local show. I've got one May show that rescheduled for August, and one October studio tour show that I was invited to be a part of up north. That's my show schedule for the year-2, maybe 3 shows instead of 15-20. Total bummer. On the plus side, I've gotten back about $1500 in booth fees, and I was finally able to apply for unemployment this week. 

Just throwing out a random thing I came across the other day. There is a fellow here that runs a private teaching studio, obviously not able to teach / hold classes right now. He's renting his wheels out, 125 a month, includes a really basic selection of tools (sponge, pin tool, chamois, wood knife and a couple ribs). I don't know if this would backfire, maybe some people would go out and buy their own wheels after having one at home and he might loose students. Anyone renting one of his wheels and wanting to fire pots made while using it can pay to fire them at his studio sometime in the future but has to use his cone 6 clay. 

Edited by Min
clarity