QotW: What are you doing for exercise during this coronovirus time, beyond working in the shop?

Hi folks, trying to think of new topics is tough, but. . . . .QotW: What are you doing for exercise beyond working in the shop?

Myself, I have been working in the shop at least 4 hours a day, usually an hour of wedging/recycling, 3 hours of throwing. I also have been getting in the 10,000 steps a day and doing my usual push ups and planks. I go to be tired, and sleep well.  I had been so used to going bowling, and doing the walking out in stores and such before, especially when the weather was cold and nasty, but now that it is better, I do walk around the block. . .staying away from others. I feel for those out there that do not have company at home, and do not have relatives nearby, or any other support group. . . it must be really tough. I hope all of you are doing something to keep your energy levels up and your spirits well as this is a difficult time,

Once again, QotW: What are you doing for exercise beyond working in the shop?

bless all,

Pres

• Pres unpinned this topic

I've got 2 huskies and 2 kids here in quarantine, so I have been taking them on walks just to get a tiny bit of sanity.  My kids have reached peak annoying this week, and I've been trying to flatten the curve as much as possible.

But yeah, lots and lots of walks, with and without the kids, but always with the Huskies.  Because you know what's worse than bored childrens?  Bored huskies! Yikes.

MVIMG_20200407_142529_copy_1209x1057.jpg

my bicycle is happy that i finally put air in its tires and have taken it out of the shed.   i think i must have shrunk a little, my toes hardly touch the ground.   got to see if the seat can be lowered.  i don't go far, maybe 2 city blocks.   just hope nobody comes around the corner while i am approaching it.

finger exercise works too, typing here, playing solitare and playing two boards on the scrabble game help keep fingers nimble.

I have a nasty case of plantar fasciitis in right foot and am not allowed to walk much or ride a bike -I'm icing, infrared red lighting,stretching, swearing, rubbing and hoping after 4 months this will get better soon.I am trying hard to stay off my feet which for me is near impossible .

Edited by Mark C.

Hope your foot improves soon Mark! ...have had a few pf rounds on right foot, in remission now almost a year. Ladder work seems to be a factor for me.

Really missing swimming (and socializing at the gym), however, still getting out on the bike between rain clouds. It's just eerie though, so little traffic, so quiet; lots of bikers though.

Be careful out there! Traffic being spread thin, many more one on one encounters, all kinds, got it?

Edited by Hulk
edit required

I’ve taken to make a point daily of a decent two mile stroll with weights on. 1 mile on the ankles,  remaining mile on the wrists to give the knees a break. Not hard 5# each just enough to make sure I do something  aerobic each day. Along with my regular slow mo (20 sec. reps to exhaust the muscle group) workout which has always been a habit. Probably adds up to 10000 steps or better of walking. Gets me outside for at least 45 minutes ensuring I don’t get stuck behind a computer. Throwing some stuff at home, custom  requests.

Last 3 weeks been laid flat then low with chest lurgi. No energy.

But yesterday I walked perimeter of a couple of paddocks..dogs happy.

I do usually practise Iyengar yoga daily and so last night I did a short restorative prac. This is my mental health saving  section of my day. A bit of stillness in the turbulent times.

Not down the shed yet but soon..

Now what can I eat.

Ideas pot book got lots of unattended jottings...

On 4/10/2020 at 2:17 AM, liambesaw said:

.  My kids have reached peak annoying this week, and I've been trying to flatten the curve as much as possible.

MVIMG_20200407_142529_copy_1209x1057.jpg

I found teaching annoying kids the best plan is 

A . put them very far away from you

B.  give them none of your focus unless  about to endanger selves or others.

Given a year or two..ha ha, they just get on with it:-))

Or just ask in a disinterested voice..how's this working for you boys?? And listen carefully..

And remember you love them oh so much!

Art lesson in the clay shed?? Daily?

Edited by Babs

23 minutes ago, Babs said:

I found teaching annoying kids the best plan is 

A . put them very far away from you

B.  give them none of your focus unless  about to endanger selves or others.

Given a year or two..ha ha, they just get on with it:-))

Or just ask in a disinterested voice..how's this working for you boys?? And listen carefully..

And remember you love them oh so much!

Art lesson in the clay shed?? Daily?

Oh yeah, we are lucky that it was 67 and sunny here today and pretty much the same all week.  That has taken some burden off!

As for art lessons in the shed, nooooooo way!  This shed is so crammed with greenware and equipment I have a hard time moving around myself.

They HAVE however been getting a lot of use out of sidewalk chalk, markers, paint, melted crayons and all sorts of other creative outlets inside during the day.  They've even made a few pinch pots themselves outdoors while doing a "picnic".  I love my boys!  I just love it more when they go to school and come home tired :p

Edited by liambesaw

A 2 mile walk weather permitting every day best recent time 33 min 33 sec.  Not bad for a pair pushing 80 very hard.  Good weather has also meant the garden getting a lot of attention.  Good thing because there was a lot of neglect over the past couple of years.  Wednesday 3 yards of garden soil will be dumped on the driveway.  That should keep us out of trouble or kill us. Lin

1 hour ago, LinR said:

A 2 mile walk weather permitting every day best recent time 33 min 33 sec.  Not bad for a pair pushing 80 very hard.  Good weather has also meant the garden getting a lot of attention.  Good thing because there was a lot of neglect over the past couple of years.  Wednesday 3 yards of garden soil will be dumped on the driveway.  That should keep us out of trouble or kill us. Lin

3 yards? Wow!

Gardening, general pottering around (I got into spinning and weaving, so this weekend I've been dying sheep fleece - on my feet all day, up and down from the greenhouse to the tap.

We've been for a daily walk, around 2-3 miles.  The local scout leaders have volunteered to deliver prescription medicines to those unable to get to the pharmacy.  Up to 5 couples/brothers turn up at near closing time for the local pharmacy.  We're given a box and sort out who can walk to the closest, and who can drive and drop them on their way home.  Scouting is completely closed, but this way we all feel we are doing some good.  It's great when someone comes to their door and it's quite clear they needed the service.  They've all been very grateful.  And the local church gave us 3 trays of Easter eggs to hand out with the medicines.  The pharmacist gave us a goody bag for helping.   We feel we aught to give him a gift for trusting us with medicine and people's names/addresses etc. 

Smokey, not so bad, I used to be 170-180 when I was teaching, wore large shirts, 34" pants. Diagnosed with diabetes the last year of work, don't want to take meds, so I now weigh this morning 140. Wear small shirts and 29 inch waist. The incredible shrinking man.

best,

Pres