What's On Your Kitchen Table?

15 hours ago, Babs said:

Would  you share the crust recipe.

I am unfamiliar with  sopressa. What is it?

Take your favorite pizza crust recipe and swap out the water and add beer. Because of the extra yeast in the beer you may want to let the dough rise a little bigger/longer. I prefer a darker over a lighter beer.  There's also sauteed garlic and onion in the dough and as you can see in the image I sprinkled sesame seeds on the dough.

I missed spelled soppressata it like pepperoni only way way better.

Half a veg omelet - local broccoli, kale, green and white onion, cilantro, mushroom quick in olive and sesame oils - with a bit o' cheese; pint o' IPA and toast slice onna side thar (spouse ate t'other half!)

The egg floats in a bit of butter, gotta butter! Try a spash of beer in the eggs, whip it good just before pouring in hot pan - the bubbles make it fluff up like

halfomelette.JPG

4 hours ago, Min said:

Can't help but think that when this pandemic is over I'm going to weigh more than I do right now.

Absolutely no doubt about that!

Going to make dinner right now!

And maybe bake a cake for tomorrow.....

Cool westher heading here. Great appetite stimulant.

Big pot of barley broth on the go tomorrow for sure.

My weight is down on all this. I have adopted a lower cholesterol diet in line with my diabetes diet. Between the two, it has forced me to become more vegetarian. I am actually finding that if I don't think of meat replacement as meat, but protein, I'm not bad off. The new bowls are fantastic for eggbeaters, and I am getting creative with capers, fiery mustard, worchestire sauce, or chili lime seasoning, with a little cheese and hot sauce. Oatmeal cooked in micro at level 7 does not boil over. Learning all sorts of new stuff. More riced frozen cauliflower and other veggies.

best,

Pres

On 4/21/2020 at 2:01 PM, Hulk said:

"1st rhubarb crop this year."

Pavlovian! ...what are the round brown bread bits?

Yorkshire puddings.

On 4/21/2020 at 11:36 AM, Babs said:

Rhubarb as a veg?

Rhubarb crumble my favourite.

Or rhubarb with curds...

Must have a meal with you s. time...dream on Babs

Yes, it goes really well.  Don't know if this is a UK thing, but we eat pork with apple, gammon and pineapple, turkey and cranberry, blah blah blah

I too love rhubarb crumble, but try not to eat too much pastry/crumble/cake.

The new way of eating together is decide on a menu, cook the same, and eat at the same time, while practising social distancing, and communicating via phone, skype or similar.

It’s not food, but I did make them in my kitchen. I have trouble buying lip balm in stores, because these days they all contain ingredients that make me itchy (shea butter, aloe vera, menthol). Why can’t I buy a basic mixture of beeswax and coconut oil? Now I know why, because it is way too easy and cheap to make it yourself. The store brands need to add fancy ingredients so they can charge $3.99. These tubes cost me about 25 cents each.

CC04A984-B20E-4DC3-B902-D2EF15D3EDD5.jpeg.f9921d9def176b6112b9b27c29fc7bcc.jpeg

3 hours ago, GEP said:

It’s not food, but I did make them in my kitchen. I have trouble buying lip balm in stores, because these days they all contain ingredients that make me itchy (shea butter, aloe vera, menthol). Why can’t I buy a basic mixture of beeswax and coconut oil? Now I know why, because it is way too easy and cheap to make it yourself. The store brands need to add fancy ingredients so they can charge $3.99. These tubes cost me about 25 cents each.

Would you share the ratio or is it a test test test scenario:-))

1 hour ago, Babs said:

Would you share the ratio or is it a test test test scenario:-))

It’s a simple 1:1 ratio.

25g beeswax + 25g coconut oil = 10 tubes of lip balm. I borrowed my digital scale from the pottery studio.  I melted the ingredients in the microwave in 30 second increments. I used a glass measuring cup, it got warm in the microwave and kept the wax mixture melted longer.

14 minutes ago, Min said:

@GEP, those look like they'd be a heck of a lot easier to ship than pots. Side business?

Nah, I’d be worried about them melting while in transit. 

Edited by GEP

I don't have a photo of it but I made roasted King asparagus from my garden.   The asparagus is so huge that you have to peel the stems like a potato.    I rub some olive oil on it and sprinkle with garlic salt,  roast it at 400 degrees 10 to 15 minutes.  Before I serve it I sprinkle a little dry cheese on it,  my husband who was a little skeptical told me it was the best dish he had in a long time.  Very tender and juicy!   Denice

I used to hate asparagus, as when growing up in a military family, most of asparagus we had was canned! Nothing worse in the day. Love it now fresh, wife sautes it with garlic and italian herbs in light oil until just enough to soften the stalks.

best,

Pres

Growing up on the front range in Colorado, my grandma used to take me out to pick wild asparagus. I never liked to eat it, but hunting for it was wonderful, especially because I got to hang out with Grandma. I'm still not super fond of it, but I'll eat it. We've got a very small patch started in our garden, and there are currently 4 stalks coming up that are a nice thickness. It takes forever for it to get established and spread. This is the 3rd or 4th year in our garden, and we're finally seeing stalks that are good for eating.

https://www.modern-forager.com/colorado-wild-asparagus/

13 minutes ago, neilestrick said:

Growing up on the front range in Colorado, my grandma used to take me out to pick wild asparagus. I never liked to eat it, but hunting for it was wonderful, especially because I got to hang out with Grandma. I'm still not super fond of it, but I'll eat it. We've got a very small patch started in our garden, and there are currently 4 stalks coming up that are a nice thickness. It takes forever for it to get established and spread. This is the 3rd or 4th year in our garden, and we're finally seeing stalks that are good for eating.

https://www.modern-forager.com/colorado-wild-asparagus/

Our garden is on year 2, and we got even less than last year, lasst year we had 3 super skinny stalks, this year it's one super skinny stalk that's about a foot and a half tall.   Not sure if I'm supposed to cut them when they come up this young or just let them fern out, but it sure gets bizarre if you leave them alone

4 minutes ago, liambesaw said:

Our garden is on year 2, and we got even less than last year, lasst year we had 3 super skinny stalks, this year it's one super skinny stalk that's about a foot and a half tall.   Not sure if I'm supposed to cut them when they come up this young or just let them fern out, but it sure gets bizarre if you leave them alone

We just let ours go to seed. They get really tall and look like a fern. Apparently you're supposed to let them do that when you're done with harvesting (if you harvested at all), as the fern top collects sun energy and makes for stronger plants the next year. They'll also make little berries/seeds that can be planted.

https://www.aveggieventure.com/2018/10/beauty-of-asparagus-berries.html

9 minutes ago, neilestrick said:

We just let ours go to seed. They get really tall and look like a fern. Apparently you're supposed to let them do that when you're done with harvesting (if you harvested at all), as the fern top collects sun energy and makes for stronger plants the next year. They'll also make little berries/seeds that can be planted.

https://www.aveggieventure.com/2018/10/beauty-of-asparagus-berries.html

Yeah mine went bonkers last year and I actually had to cut them back a bit because they were sharing my baby fig tree

The canned stuff was GROSS! However, they tried to do what they could. Ssgt pay was not great even with family perks, and other. My daughter saw a picture when she was in HS showing 3 of the four kids with mom in front of the trailer, taken probably in 1953 or 4. Her loud and disbelieving comment was "You were TRAILER TRASH!  Oh well!

best,

Pres

5 minutes ago, Pres said:

The canned stuff was GROSS! However, they tried to do what they could. Ssgt pay was not great even with family perks, and other. My daughter saw a picture when she was in HS showing 3 of the four kids with mom in front of the trailer, taken probably in 1953 or 4. Her loud and disbelieving comment was "You were TRAILER TRASH!  Oh well!

best,

Pres

Haha!  We lived in a small airstream borrowed from my grandparents for a few years growing up, and I ended up buying a manufactured home and land when I became an adult.  It's a lot more fun when you embrace it :D