#21 clay lover

clay lover

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 866 posts
  • LocationSoutheast

Posted 27 March 2014 - 11:41 AM

I only add Epsom salts if the glaze hard pans in the bottom of the bucket after mixing.  Probably 2% bentonite would be a god first step if that happens, then ES. if needed.

#22 bciskepottery

bciskepottery

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,461 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia

Posted 27 March 2014 - 11:43 AM

Dry pre mix will be my next glazes purchased. I'm not ready for making my own glaze yet. Do you always add bentonite sodium silicate and or Darvan?

If the glaze is settling or hard-panning, then you would want to add some bentonite (1 to 2 percent of the dry measured glaze weight; mix the bentonite in hot water in a separate container, then add to the glaze and reseive the glaze) or some Epsom salt dissolved in hot water. If the glaze is too thick, you could add a drop or two of darvan or sodium silicate to make the glaze more fluid.

#23 Pam S

Pam S

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • LocationDurham, NC

Posted 27 March 2014 - 11:58 AM

I've used several brands of dry glazes. Coyote so far has been my favorite. On the down side, they are expensive. If you are interested in mixing your own I would highly recommend buying a copy of "Mastering Cone 6 Glazes." It has several good base glazes that can be easily altered. Also, Pottery Making Illustrated recently ran a piece on setting up a glaze studio. I found it very informative. If your sharing a studio with others the initial investment might be a reasonable choice. A good source for buckets is your local pizza dive. I talked to the manager and they saved buckets for me, FREE!

"Saving just one dog won't change the world, but it surely will change the world for that one dog."

#24 Benzine

Benzine

Socratic Potter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,592 posts
  • LocationThe Hawkeye State

Posted 29 March 2014 - 07:35 AM

Pres, how much cheaper, was it for you to mix your own glazes?  Right now, I've not had an issue with budget.  I use pre-mixed liquid glazes, and spend a couple hundred on them.  I've often thought of saving money, by mixing, though I'm not sure I have the space or time to do so.

Start up was more in the first few years. I started by getting the triple beam, the bins, and buckets for glaze(had janitors save floor wax buckets). Then the next few years I ordered glaze materials for specific glazes that I knew worked. When I ordered these I limited my materials by choosing glazes that used the same materials. Buying the oxides for color is the biggest hit, but once done can last quite a while. After the fourth year I figured savings in the 20-30% range. Second year was equal to buying commercial and the third was about 10% less.  You find that with a good inventory you are not buying all materials every year, and that costs stay level.  Buy at bulk prices, don't buy 10# of frit, buy a bag etc.

Thanks for the information Pres. It's definitely something I've been mulling over. Glazes are one of my biggest costs, in terms of supplies. If I can save money by making those, I can use it elsewhere. Because I really don't plan on making my own materials, for the other big cost items, which are photographic materials.
"Anything worth believing, is worth questioning"

#25 TJR

TJR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,229 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 29 March 2014 - 10:07 AM

Dry pre mix will be my next glazes purchased. I'm not ready for making my own glaze yet. Do you always add bentonite sodium silicate and or Darvan?

I always add 3% bentonite to my glazes to prevent settling and to make the glaze surface harder for decorating. I mix it first in a little bowl with water to get the lumps out, or just mix it thoroughly with the dry glaze before adding water. Lots of people add Epsom Salts instead, a couple of table spoons. I don't do this as I don't like to mess around with the electrical charge of the glaze.

TJR

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users