1st show this Sat, kinda freaking out

I actually like pieces that are a bit heavy.  Some people who attend the fair might also.

I think I can tell you why "newbs keep the worst bowl ever made." It probably isn't that they have low standards!  It is more likely about keeping a history.

I have the first piece I threw in a class and the first I threw on my own wheel. I have a large vase I hand-built that collapsed some but has a very funny story to it.

I have a clay baby I made in an art camp when I was 6.

I also have on my refrigerator something my son drew when he was 2 years old. It's part of our history.

You have NOTHING in these photos to be ashamed of.   They look tidy, well balanced and well glazed.  You are in a great starting place.  as to the event being for beginners, you can stand out in a crowd through presentation.  keep at it.    I agree with the posted who said only take what you feel good about, so that when some people don't chose your work you can say, "It wasn't their taste"  instead of feeling that work isn't good enough. 

Like your glazes.! 

Square has been a great addition to my restoration business and will be great for the pottery business once I get it off the ground.  It is so simple and it really has increased the amount of sales.  I use good old polyester tablecloths...fairly wrinkle free.  (I hate to iron).

It is so hard to detach oneself when selling.  I just think about how I shop.  I may like a lot of what I see, but today I may not purchase your item.  Doesn't reflect on your items at all.  Next time, though, I may purchase your item because I remember you and seeing your booth.  Don't beat yourself up if you do not make every sale.  Celebrate the ones you make.  

Best of luck.

Well I'm calling it a success overall and pretty pleased with the results. I learned so much and received so many compliments it was kind of inspiring. Invited back for an arts festival in October, made contacts with the organizers and store owners, plus the farmer's market there and I can put some of my pieces in one of the stores for only a 20% commission. Solid day!

Sold 11 mugs a few vases and little bowl for a grand total of 225

Not bad considering I estimated around 500 visitors and 100 of those were only there to see their friend play their gitar up on that microphone. I cannot begin to describe to you, the torment of high decibel, murky, sub-mediocrity bestowed upon my battered ears, the tormented delusions of talent, the nervous righteousness and timid warbling. I wasn't the only one having a first showing and of course, right next to it.

0811180908d.jpg.9d4c19f0a1bf30ae4c6c6a0f94465e79.jpg0811181157a.jpg.f1c20eaabdbc4e3ea90f5ad97a61a5bb.jpg0811180908.jpg.b2740636a581eeb739020f60d8e23972.jpg0811180908a.jpg.97603d0e2a31e3e8ed1efcff5908755d.jpg

I think your pottery looks good.    And booth too, especially for a first display.  I'm not that far from you ... in Mississippi.  Used to have stores in Memphis and Nashville so I am somewhat familiar with the area.    I sell mugs for $20.   I really like your colors.

Only 500 people ... I would say $225 is good.

Great effort for a first time show. Your booth looked well organized, pricing was simple, and pottery was within what most would call good ranges with good glaze and color. Forms were well done, and don't worry about a heavier vase, as many thing a light vase is not enough to hold flowers properly. 

Good job!

best,

Pres

Archived