Another Fine Mess

OMG! I wondered if that ever happened. I keep a stick of wood in my kiln area that I lay across if I am ever not sure I have enough clearance... And after seeing that I am definitely keeping it there and checking whenever I am in doubt. Geez that's going to be a chore to clean up do you think they had to replace the lid bricks?

Terry

Geez that's going to be a chore to clean up do you think they had to replace the lid bricks?

Terry

Replace . . . possibly. You have to grind off the glaze left after you break off the pots; if you don't, you'll get glaze drips the the kiln gods in every subsequent firing. They look pretty fused on the lid; my guess they had to replace bricks. Who knows what condition the kiln shelf was left -- those are some pretty good glaze runs over the feet, too. Double whammy.

They don't seem to be runny feet, she looks like she was making octopus legs on the pots.  (her picture of leather pots was posted a few weeks ago I believe) One person suggested to re fire with the shelf lower so the pots release and land on the shelf below. 

Individual feet, yes, but still lots of runny glaze. I think if it gets hot enough to release it will stick to the bottom shelf.

I have a yard stick in my kiln room, it measures things and works great to span the kiln rim to make sure that will never happen. Those are very runny feet.

I have an electric kiln that has a square cut out of the lid. Its never been a gas kiln, it was given to me, the brand is Vulcan, it has a brick cover to go over the hole. I always wondered what the hole was for but the previous owner had alhiemers and the kiln was being snuck out of the garage so he wouldn't accidently catch the house on fire so i never had anyone to ask if it was original to the kiln.

Archived