Time To Set Your Goals For 2014!

I'm getting more pissy as I age and am ok with it

This goal made me giggle Mark.

My goal is to be able to throw with anywhere near the no nonsense approach of my favourite youtuber. http://www.youtube.com/user/youdanxxx he gives me a lot of inspiration.

My other goal is to keep my income from pottery going in the right direction. I am not making any actual profits yet after being in the studio for a year but I can dream ^_^

My last goal but most important is to get my kiln back up and running as it has now been broken for a month! I think the replacement wire has just been lost in the Christmas post :(

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chris - thank you! You've done the list for me.

AND John B if you're getting all educational on us, I'll add in that Success Criteria for each objective are the smaller, measurable steps against which achievement of the objective can be measured. (You can take the potter out of the teacher but you can't take the teacher out of the potter!) I'll take Chris's list of objectives and give thought to the success criteria for each one. The danger is that I'll be 6 months through the year before I get started - what with that and all the time spent on the CAD forum. I'm a master at procrastination! (or should that be 'of' procrastination?)

Guest JBaymore

Celia,

I put that in there because sometimes people get overwelmed by the larger broad Goal... and can't figure out a good path to get to it ........ so they just don't try.

So... good news....... you can add M. P. after you name. ;) (Master of Procrastination)

best,

....................john

1. Organize local potters to make "ceramic gingerbread houses" to donate to hospital charity auction next December.

2. Make a scale model of an old English church for the auction.

3. Perfect local clay which I found this past year.

4. Finish John Baymore's thowing exercises.

5. Complete my garage studio.

- wire the electric kiln.

- Make flue and chimney for small gas conversion , kiln.

Next year, build a kiln shed.

Jed

Guest JBaymore

Thanks for including that in your list. I'm honored.

Just an FYI... they are never intended to be "finished". They should be revisited regularly.... just as a musician never stops playing fingering exercises and doing warm up exercises. Pull that stuff out every now and then.

best,

.....................john

My goal is to be able to throw with anywhere near the no nonsense approach of my favourite youtuber. http://www.youtube.com/user/youdanxxx he gives me a lot of inspiration.

Dan is the Man! He's my all time favorite youtuber too. He also grows show veggies, like gigantic carrots and onions on his allotment. Very interesting.

Thanks for including that in your list. I'm honored.

Just an FYI... they are never intended to be "finished". They should be revisited regularly....

best,

.....................john

I don't like that FYI....lol.

4. (Reworked) make it through the John's throwing exercises for the first of many time. But that sounds so...daunting...

Jed

Since I retired from teaching, I have tried hard to forget educational jargon. After years on committees and in writing for courses the development of goals, objectives and action plans became the rule of law. When you have so many different committees you are on, and so many stimulus' from the Fed and State requiring similar paperwork it becomes tiresome. So that said, I will try to keep these simple:

• Improved community and web presence. This to include contact with local galleries and specialty shops, return to regular posting on my blog, and researching-submitting a few entries to local and national shows.
  • Increasing time in the studio to meet deadlines weeks ahead of time instead of the week before.
  • Completing a full set of glaze and wash tests on the SC Hazelnut clay body with comparison tests to the SC 112.
  • Follow this with a trip in July to Alaska, and one in the Fall to Italy.

Pres - Despite my previous post about Success Criteria, I have to agree with you about retiring from teaching and all the jargon, committees, development plans etc. that totally dominated my life as a headteacher. It's pretty stifling when you're in it and so liberating to leave it all behind. For me, it was all the creative things that were forced out of my life by the pressure of work (I wasn't in Art Education). Now, in retirement I'm going back to all those things I put to one side, but do still need to impose some self discipline in order to get on and focus on improving my skills.

I can feel a PDP (Pottery Development Plan) coming on!

Become more eccentric

Become less reliable

Develope the "no" answer,so that it comes out of my mouth.

These are so I can:

Make pottery the priority

Become less reactive.

This could take more than one year

continue to practise my throwing lessons and iyengar yoga, the latter of which keeps me almost sane, the former is beginning to do that :)

My goal for the next 4 months would simply be to keep practicing as much as I can, which is probably not going to be a lot since I’ll have to work on my final project. But after the end of April it will be a big question mark since I’ll (hopefully graduate and) lose access to my school’s studio.

Talk to the person in charge of the school's studio - if they won't let you continue working there, they may be able to offer suggestions on where you can go. Also try looking up local pottery studios in the area! Good luck!

Chris, I really like this idea. My initial goal is to create my list of goals....

Develope the "no" answer,so that it comes out of my mouth.

Babs,

This always sounds so easy for me, but my "no" is still vulnerable to the first counter question/argument/guilt-trip.  I am getting better and the fact that you have a follow up that starts with "So I can.." is absolutely on-target.  I'm thinking that my "no" needs to be more like yours..."I have to say "no" because I already have commitments to others and myself"...and be totally OK with that!

My best to you,

Paul

For year 2014:

1. Refine the design, selections and the process for the line of products that I started working on three months ago.

2. Work towards taking part in at least one show/expo type event to introduce and sell the line.

3. From this line of items, earn at least twice as much income as the new Kiln and the installation cost me now.

4. A functioning online store

Marcia

I really like you changing up your moniker all the time -keeps me guessing

The spend less time on computer really rings home as I'm neck deep in year end accounting for cpa visit

I am really starting to feel this whole thing is such a time suck for small business potters like me-could be as I'm older I feel I have less time for this paper shuffle.

I wonder what a w-2 persons life is like???I only know self employed.

Mark

Mark,

I have been going through old photos of kilns I built over the decades.Big Lou asked about catenary arches in a private conversation. So I started a new topic in my gallery. Still need to find a box of slides with many more kiln constructions documented from beginning to end.

changing my moniker reflects some Facebook activity that carries over here. throwback Thursdays,

I know self employed , w2 and retirement. All interesting and all are what you make of them.

Marcia

Archived