Time To Set Your Goals For 2014!

Did another year just rush past you without leaving any concrete signs of your progress?

Are you wondering what you accomplished or how far you have come in 2013?

If your answer is YES, then consider using this week to set some personal goals for 2014.

Your pottery life is a journey and like any other journey, it needs a map or plan of some kind to get you to your destination. You cannot just wander North and hope to hit Alaska.

The simple act of writing down what you want to do makes the odds of success JUMP. Let's face it, it you cannot even write down what you want, what are the odds you will do the rest of the work needed to accomplish it?

Just to ensure your success, make item #1 on the list ... "Make a list of goals".

Don't set traps for yourself by overloading this list.

Make sure the items are do-able in your real life.

Break them down to baby steps which are more easily accomplished than a huge giant step.

Post the list of goals in a place you see every day.

Use a big magic marker to cross out items as you finish them.

Your Goals don't have to involve impossible tasks, expenditures of cash or quantum leaps in abilities. A few steps forward might do quite nicely.

KISS ... Keep It Simple and Succeed. :D:rolleyes::P

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

KISSing my way into 2014...

2.  Start continuing education for the team (anyone know of any good workshops?)

Mike, several possibilities . . . Tony Clennell will be at Art League, Torpedo Factory, in June 2014 - throwing large. Watch Bill Van Gilder's site for workshops at his studio in Gap, MD. I've taken Bill's workshop a couple times and learn something new each time. The folks at The Little Pottery Shop in Frederick, MD, seem to bring in good folks for weekend workshops (Tony C., Linda Arbuckle, etc. and its nice place to take a workshop). And up the road is Baltimore Clayworks.

KISSing my way into 2014...

1. Complete clay / glaze testing

2. Start continuing education for the team (anyone know of any good workshops?)

3. Emphasize progress over perfection

4. Introduce line of garden pots & fountains

5. Have fun

if you are interested in fountains, join us in making a big one in Italy in June

see our workshop in Tuscany under events.

http://www.archi-terracotta.com/index.html

Marcia

Guest JBaymore

2. Start continuing education for the team (anyone know of any good workshops?)

What are your goals for them?

best,

........................john

Thanks for the prompt Chris. After a year in which I don't feel I've made much progress as a potter, I definitely need to list some goals for 2014 AND the small steps needed to achieve them. (Reminds me of writing the School Improvement Plan as a headteacher!) The latter will serve to help plan my activity in the studio, and if small enough will give me lots of things to tick off, so that this time next year I'm not saying 'I don't feel I've made much progress as a potter this year'!

Happy New Year to you an yours. Celia

Ok I have a big List!!  Thank you Chris for the fun topic, some of these were running through my mind but I like committing to my goals. 

1- sell $800 more worth of pots so I can afford to have the big kiln hooked up. (I need to re wire my entire house which requires a little less than $2k) 

2- Learn about glazes and begin the process of developing my own

3- get comfortable with repeat throwing new items.

4- get comfortable with centering and throwing large

5- Get used to working with porcelain (it's so difficult not to crush it after learning with stoneware)

6-  get better at centering faster for trimming. (I am still not good at centering things for trimming, it takes longer than it should)

Rebbylicious - As a relatively inexperienced hobby potter, I'm interested to see items 2 & 6 on the list of someone clearly so much more experienced! I can't decide if it's reassuring or not.

I've decided that in order to focus all intermediate milestones my longer term goal for the year should be to enter work for my regional potters' association's Christmas 2014 exhibition. That will certainly focus the mind - but I'm already wavering and wondering if I dare put it on the list! For now Chris, think I'll go with the wine idea.....

Chris,

I'll confirm that setting clear, measurable, and attainable goals for the year is important.  2013 was my first year to get serious about goal setting and I accomplished more than I ever imagined.

Here are my top five for 2014 (understanding that I am still part-time in the clay studio):
1. Produce 25 mugs each month and offer them in an Etsy shop
2. Attend a week-long, Sandy Blain workshop at Arrowmont
3. Complete my indiegogo crowsourcing project to raise $4,000 for a new gas kiln.

4. Produce 10, large lidded jars to donate to Hope House International

5. Produce 1 sculptural ocarina project each month.

Thanks for encouraging all of us to take this step!

Rebbylicious - As a relatively inexperienced hobby potter, I'm interested to see items 2 & 6 on the list of someone clearly so much more experienced! I can't decide if it's reassuring or not.

I've decided that in order to focus all intermediate milestones my longer term goal for the year should be to enter work for my regional potters' association's Christmas 2014 exhibition. That will certainly focus the mind - but I'm already wavering and wondering if I dare put it on the list! For now Chris, think I'll go with the wine idea....

Celia -

You just need to break that BIG Goal down to baby steps.

GOAL : To submit work for Christmas Show

1. Find out the process for submitting work and the time line for submissions

2. Look at my current work and decide which pieces show potential

3. Decide to work on developing and producing one or two forms

4. Set a work schedule for myself to produce pieces and try new ideas

5. Select the best from each firing to build on next round

6. Assemble best pieces and take photos of them

7. Submit photos and application

8. Wait and worry. :D

9. Get ready to sell since you were accepted!!!!!!!

Time for another list .....

I recently beat leukemia and was out of business for 2 years so starting over is what I'm trying to do right now. I have notes all over the house of goals. I guess my first goal should be to find the notes all over the house and start on a master list. So....

#1 Organize

#2 Finish my list

Chris thank you for the reminder I really do need to work on that today : ) These would actually be two big accomplishments for me.

Guest JBaymore

I've decided that in order to focus all intermediate milestones my longer term goal for the year should be to enter work for my regional potters' association's Christmas 2014 exhibition. That will certainly focus the mind - but I'm already wavering and wondering if I dare put it on the list! For now Chris, think I'll go with the wine idea....

Celia -

You just need to break that BIG Goal down to baby steps.

GOAL : To submit work for Christmas Show

1. Find out the process for submitting work and the time line for submissions

2. Look at my current work and decide which pieces show potential

3. Decide to work on developing and producing one or two forms

4. Set a work schedule for myself to produce pieces and try new ideas

5. Select the best from each firing to build on next round

6. Assemble best pieces and take photos of them

7. Submit photos and application

8. Wait and worry. :D

9. Get ready to sell since you were accepted!!!!!!!

Time for another list .....

Goals are the big categories...... objectives are the mileposts on the route to acheiving the goal.

We as faculty members, when setting up course proposals for academic approval, have to identify the goals and objectives for every course.  If is a good exercise in charting a path to follow and to figure out what is the important stuff.  Also for developing the flow of the material (timeline).

Chris is giving out great advice here.

best,

.......................john

Thanks for the promt Chris! I have a lot of ideas and plans rushing through my head, and taking some time to focus on what's most important and most reasonable is a great way to start the year. My list:

- Learn about decals - how to print them, how to apply them

- Teach what I've learned in 2013 about silkscreen transfers

- Have better posture at the wheel

- Fire the wood kiln twice (spring and fall)

- Participate in at least 6 weekend shows throughout New England

- Launch (relaunch, really) my Etsy shop by January 31 and keep it stocked throughout the year

- Keep my current galleries stocked and happy

- Establish relationships with 2 more galleries (ideally one in Vermont and one in Massachusetts)

- Submit to a few nationally juried exhibitions - LUX Mugshots, Slipe Gallery Drink!, Baltimore Clayworks Shake it Baby!

I've decided that in order to focus all intermediate milestones my longer term goal for the year should be to enter work for my regional potters' association's Christmas 2014 exhibition. That will certainly focus the mind - but I'm already wavering and wondering if I dare put it on the list! For now Chris, think I'll go with the wine idea.....

I am pretty inexperienced - I have only been throwing since May of 2012 

Do more pre preparation for the shows I do, making work waaaaay ahead of time, pricing and boxing it, ready to go to show. Get my work load more steady, with fewer rush times through more regular work.

Make some changes to my show set up to increase set up efficiency, lessen weight and set up time.

Do some rearranging of my gallery commitments, find a gallery I want to do business with in 2 other cities.

Add a couple of new forms to my selection, oil bottles and ???

Make more and better mugs.

Make a totally out of my norm type of item and find a market for it.

That should keep me plenty busy!

I recently beat leukemia and was out of business for 2 years so starting over is what I'm trying to do right now. I have notes all over the house of goals. I guess my first goal should be to find the notes all over the house and start on a master list. So....#1 Organize#2 Finish my listChris thank you for the reminder I really do need to work on that today : ) These would actually be two big accomplishments for me.

Congratulations! I am so glad to hear this great news!

Nancy

Hi,

Some goals:

1. Do 2 or 3 shows, see if I like doing them

2. To prep for shows, practice throwing the same form many times.

3. Throw 20 mugs 3x a week for a month.

Pretty KISS!

4. Oh, and attend a multi-day workshop in something that catches my eye. I would love to attend the Susan Nemeth one in Tuscany, but the flight makes it unaffordable, :(

Nancy

I've been sketching a lot lately, trying to develop some new illustrations to carve onto my pots. Hoping to debut one or two at ACC Baltimore in February.

Beyond that, I'd like to do the same number of shows as last year (13), but distribute them better. Last year, I did not do any shows in the spring due to my studio renovation. This year I'd like to add some shows to my spring months, and subtract some from the fall months. Also, I'd like to replace the less productive shows with others that are hopefully more productive.

In between doing shows, I am contemplating some new glaze ideas. Considering I've been using the same glazes for almost ten years, this is a major shift for me. But if anyone thinks I'm finally going to add some different colors to my palette, nope. I'm thinking along the lines of different surface feels. If anything my colors are going more neutral and minimal. So I will be testing and testing this year, hoping to debut the new glazes in the fall. And depending on how customers respond to them, I will hopefully add the new glazes to my wholesale line for 2015.

I hope you are all WRITING these down and posting the list where you see it every day!

This thread will be off the page in a week but your goals should be physical and visible.

I bought a small 2014 calendar and taped the pages together so I could "see" the year ....

OK ... It did not make the year less daunting, but I did get to cut and paste for a while. : - )

I'm planning on spending less time in the studio

I'm doing one less show this year

I'm raising my prices (already have done some of this)

I am not shipping any pottery after Thanksgiving no matter what a customer asks for

I'm getting more pissy as I age and am ok with it

I'm really not doing any special orders no matter what a customers story is-really

I'm making more small stuff again this year-its sells better

I'm cleaning up a few forgotten studio parts

I'm going to try to be on and under the ocean more this year.

Mark

I am pretty inexperienced - I have only been throwing since May of 2012 

I’m even more inexperienced :) I’ve only started throwing since September 2012, and only occasionally until about 4 months ago.

My goal for the next 4 months would simply be to keep practicing as much as I can, which is probably not going to be a lot since I’ll have to work on my final project. But after the end of April it will be a big question mark since I’ll (hopefully graduate and) lose access to my school’s studio.

Archived