corona virus may effect sales

1 minute ago, neilestrick said:

I just cancelled my classes for the next two weeks. This morning I had decided that I would keep the studio open for those who wanted to come, and give a credit to those who chose to stay home. But then this afternoon the governor closed all bars and restaurants, so I figured it's getting serious enough that I should do my part. Even though my class sizes are small- no more than 10 people- it's impossible to keep safe distances from each other. Now I can have the studio all to myself for a while!

Sorry to hear that, Neil, but it's a good chance to take care of anything that's difficult to do when the studio is full of people I'm guessing!

Make the best of it 

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, liambesaw said:

Sorry to hear that, Neil, but it's a good chance to take care of anything that's difficult to do when the studio is full of people I'm guessing!

Make the best of it 

Yep. I'll have little no kiln repair work either, so I'll have time to make pots and take care of some studio maintenance that's been on my list for some time. I need to replace the blowers on both my vents and re-plumb the whole thing, organize my storage area, and this might be the perfect time to re-plumb the sink, too. The drain is a little high, so our sink drains very slowly.

58 minutes ago, neilestrick said:

I just cancelled my classes for the next two weeks. This morning I had decided that I would keep the studio open for those who wanted to come, and give a credit to those who chose to stay home. But then this afternoon the governor closed all bars and restaurants, so I figured it's getting serious enough that I should do my part. Even though my class sizes are small- no more than 10 people- it's impossible to keep safe distances from each other. Now I can have the studio all to myself for a while!

In my opinion a  wise choice. This might be the first time in our history that we actually practice some science in dealing with these things and potentially save many lives.

Here is a purely mathematical look at this. It would appear objectively that just about everyone in government is acting responsibly and so are people voluntarily. Smart move, I think.

It is nice to take victory lap if when a crisis hits you are prepared and able to weather the crisis because of good planning or good luck but for those of you that need help to get through this crisis Don't feel like the situation is hopeless, be sure and explore the programs that will be rolled out to help artist over the next few weeks. There may be outright grants available and/or low and zero interest loans and it may make a great deal of sense for some to take advantage of one of these to weather the crisis and still be in business on the other side of this. Businesses often tap into these programs after an unforseen crisis and it is not remotely foolish to explore these options. Everybody on this board is at many different stages and its real easy for someone to sprout advice like just quit and get a job but remember they don't know your business and have no skin in the game. All of these programs will have limited dough and will often prioritise the early apps so if this is shaping up to be crippling to what was/is a promising business start researching now.

Good luck!

Our governor just told us over 65 year olds to self isolate no matter how our health is. Closed all the wineries and Bars and told restruants to limit people by at least 50%

I'm pretty isolated in our rural area now-my wife is younger so trips outside are a non issue-looks like few pottery drops in next month will be up to her.

I could go for a month or two without any visitors pretty easy-I just  see emails on pottery needed these days from outlets. I do have a customer scheduled this week to pick up a pot.I think my wife can handle it maybe every two weeks or stop as it spreads here. Looks like a strange future indeed.

Galze day in the am-doing lots of glaze tests this fire cycle in two kiln loads on Tuesday.

My May show canncelled today with entry fee rolled over a year or refund your choice. I have done this 3 day show since 1993. Its on Th UC Davis campus. I knew this was going to happen as they did not want any booth fees. I was feeling if they held I would not go anyway due the interruption as students are online classes and the community would avoid it. Today the Governor shut down (shelter in place until April 7) 6 San Francisco Bay area counties. Our state is really getting pro active as the top federal guy is (ok no politics)

I have two glaze kilns going in am loaded with some tests . Self isolation comes easy for me as a work at home potter. I feel bad for all those that will suffer from this situtaion as it worsens. 

Ordered a ton last September or so. Did not freeze hard this Winter, and I will be in the shop soon. Have to finish kiln repairs after I get started. Throw a little replace a few switches, trim a little. . . . new rhythm! No bowling!

best,

Pres

Bowling- well I have story

I have been bowling I think twice in 65 years . At a art show last fall a friend came to show in Boulder city NV to pick up a dinnerware  set she ordered a few moths earlier and asked about the small bowling ally she parked next to. I told her it was a landmark as it has not changed since the 50s when it was built in this small town. After the show we bowled two games in the 5 alley classic venue.

What I learned was almost any soft shoe works (we did rent shoes) and that bowling is EXTREMELLY hard on the wrist. Since my 3 bone removal wrist surgery in 2012 my wrist need babying and bowling is not doing that. Its killer on the wrist.It was big fun but I paid a price with the wrist the next day.

Mom maintained 205+ average for decades, we din' know that was somethin' else 'til one day there was some coverage of Women's Tour on tv; when they were talkin' averages, Mom caught my eye, so mum's the word, ok.

Surely Pop knows by now, haha.

All my shows have been canceled...i do shows fall, winter, spring, where the late winter early spring is the bulk of my income that gets me thru the bare showless summer here in Florida...also my center has cancelled my classes that let me limp along financially when the shows fail to produce. Thursday i am heading over to the next town to see about selling some plasma. The cats gotta have their kibble and i don't know when the classes will be allowed to restart. If they close things down too tight then the plasma thing might not even be an option, gotta get the $ while i can. 

1 hour ago, PSC said:

All my shows have been canceled...i do shows fall, winter, spring, where the late winter early spring is the bulk of my income that gets me thru the bare showless summer here in Florida...also my center has cancelled my classes that let me limp along financially when the shows fail to produce. Thursday i am heading over to the next town to see about selling some plasma. The cats gotta have their kibble and i don't know when the classes will be allowed to restart. If they close things down too tight then the plasma thing might not even be an option, gotta get the $ while i can. 

hey sorry this has happened to you. Hopefully the feds will get an agreement and get a $1000 checks out to you. Plasma limits in US are apparently like 4 times what most countries allow so you may want to do some research b4 doing the 2 donations a week they allow. 

The Moderator team would like to take a moment to offer this reminder in light of some of the earlier points in this thread. We’d like to ask folks to keep this next statement in mind, even in calmer times.

The Moderators of the CAD forum believe that even though there are disputed plus/minus points in the discussion, that we allow it as a discussion for potters to make responsible decisions on their own about their needs. Good money management, long term goals, and business plans are necessary for a successful pottery, but the forum is not a place to get these. This is a ceramics forum, and financial institutions would be the best place to get direct advice about business finance.  WE ask that members and other viewers use the forum as a place to gain information of interest and concern to potters, but YOU should realize that this is advice given by numerous individuals with different views. Best to get an expert opinion about something that is not Ceramics. WE would also caution folks about becoming so passionate about their viewpoints that they snipe others that have different views. We hope that all can find support and a sense of community while working through these troubled times.

Thank you,

Callie, Min, Neil and Pres. 

The Senate is getting ready to vote on a stimulus package for those effected by this virus. Includes direct payments to citizens, tax deferred payments, tax credits for small business, waiver for filing late: and a list of many other perks. I would expect to see detailed lists this weekend (March 20)- be watching for it. 

The Canadian government announced increases to Child Tax benefits, extensions on tax filings and remittance, extended EI availability to the self employed and a host of other things today. The big six banks have all said they’ll offer mortgage deferrals. I’ll try and get some more links and details posted in the coming days. My kids are home, and the husband will be too, in a few days, so we have to set up separate workspaces.  Bear with me. 

Most coastal counties from Monterey to Medocinoc are closed /locked down to essential services and ours with join them in the next few days I'm told. There are no known cases in this county but thats really meaningless as we have had less than 50 tests done so far.I will leave it at that.

I'm not an essential business-you can get by with hand made pottery or at least some can. I know how can that be really but its true.

I'm planning on making my last potterey drop off for a spell come tommorrow and work slowly on inventory building and as usual projects that I have put off. Great time to catch up. We are pretty self reliant here and the isolation is very easy for us. I'm planning on a huge money slow down business wise and am fine with that. I still have Product in 3 grocery markets and two food businesses so they will still want pots-Just less of them. My galleries most likely will shutter foir a spell they may not yet realize this but I get it.

Thank my lucky stars pots do not go bad with time and building inventory for better times makes the most sense now to me .

I hope others can make it thru these times.I feel bad as many I know will be hurting.

29 minutes ago, Mark C. said:

Most coastal coiunties from Monterey to Medocinoc are closed /locked down to essential services and ours with join them in the next few days I'm told. There are no known cases in this county but thats really meaningless as we have had less than 50 tests done so far.I will leave it at that.

I'm not an essential business-you can get by with hand made pottery or at least some can. I know how can that be really but its true.

I'm planning on making my last potterey drop off for a spell come tommorrow and work slowly on inventory building and as usual projects that I have put off. Great time to catch up. We are pretty self reliant here and the isolation is very easy for us. I'm planning on a huge money slow down business wise and am fine with that. I still have Product in 3 grocery markets and two food businesses so they will still want pots-Just less of them. My galleries most likely will shutter foir a spell they may not yet realize this but I get it.

Thank my lucky stars pots do not go bad with time and building inventory for better times makes the most sense now to me .

I hope others can make it thru these times.I feel bad as many I know will be hurting.

I feel bad for retired people or people who are planning to retire soon as well.  If my own retirement accounts are any indication, not only stocks are at a marked low, so are bonds and interest rates.  It's going to be rough all around for a spell here, hold onto your shorts everyone!

On 3/18/2020 at 8:29 PM, Mark C. said:

On the flip side Its a great time to buy stocks if you have the dough

I wouldn't catch a falling knife unless you're shorting. I don't think anybody is calling the bottom yet.

Archived