Potters Joy Of Christmas Day

As a functional potter one of the joys is.

After wrapping up thousand’s of pots this fall you get to feel the joy of all the folks who get to unwrap a functional piece of your pottery on Xmas morning.

In my case that’s all over the United States and on many other continents in far-flung countries. Heck I wrapped up 500 spoonrests alone at my AZ show earlier this month alone. Tomorrow morning whether it is a coffee mug or a teapot or a sponge holder I get to feel a small piece of that joy.

They get to get use and become attached to it and make it their own. They will use it every day in many cases.

I always have this feeling on Xmas knowing that my work is being enjoyed by so many. It one of the great joys of being a functional potter whose work is spread so far by so many.

Have a happy Christmas fellow clay nuts.

Mark Merry Christmas. i hope to follow in your footsteps one day.

I just want to thank you for all the time and expertise you have shared here. i have grown a lot from advice (not always direct) you have shared here. sometimes just the philosophy.

thank you for sharing your joy. it reminds me to tell my friends that i chose to have TG bfast or xmas bfast with them. so they know i so appreciate their cups. 

As a functional potter one of the joys is.

After wrapping up thousand’s of pots this fall you get to feel the joy of all the folks who get to unwrap a functional piece of your pottery on Xmas morning.

In my case that’s all over the United States and on many other continents in far-flung countries. Heck I wrapped up 500 spoonrests alone at my AZ show earlier this month alone. Tomorrow morning whether it is a coffee mug or a teapot or a sponge holder I get to feel a small piece of that joy.

They get to get use and become attached to it and make it their own. They will use it every day in many cases.

I always have this feeling on Xmas knowing that my work is being enjoyed by so many. It one of the great joys of being a functional potter whose work is spread so far by so many.

Have a happy Christmas fellow clay nuts.

Merry Christmas to you, Mark and all who celebrate Christmas...

I personally feel that joy you express all year long with the knowledge that someone is enjoying one of my pieces no matter what the season.

JK

merry christmas, mark, and hope your new year is just as satisfying as 2016 has been.

you hit it just right, it is a wonderful feeling to know someone will get the pot you spent time creating.  that it will be appreciated for more than itself.   the new owner will often think warmly of the thoughtful person who gave it and the potter who created it.

Merry Christmas @Mark C. !

This year's Joy for me included a new customer posting a picture on social media of a gift mug that she had given to a family member...I wasn't quite sure how that felt at first, but I'm starting to understand what you are talking about.

Peace,

-Paul

We eat off plates made by a friend every day. I enjoy serving food from pieces made by friends. And while I only hand build and make cutesy little animal figures, I get many comments about them and enjoy thinking up new ideas. Love giving christmas gifts and saying that a friend of mine made it. That will happen later today! Along with my homemade apple sauce and chicken liver pate.  We sell lots from our galleries and hope they bring joy to the recipients.   Rakuku

The look of genuine pleasure on someone's face when they unwrap a ceramic piece that I made is exhilerating, It's hard to rachet down the Pride--at least enough to acknowledge some shred of humility-just being grateful for being able to do it. I gave someone two small herb & spice spoons for Christmas that the person had admired several motnhs ago--wow--you would have thought they were dipped in gold! Best Christmas present FOR ME this year! 

...and a Happy New Year  :)

I've held back somewhat from gifting my pots to my family.  Don't want to force my stuff on them.  This year I decided to bring a couple of boxes of smallish items on Christmas day and let folks pick something IF THEY WANTED to.  What a great feeling when they descended on the table where I had put things out and had friendly arguments over who got what and asked if it was alright to pick more than one.

That was my best Christmas gift.

I've held back somewhat from gifting my pots to my family. 

Me too, this will be a first for me. (although my sister still uses some of my schoolboy woodwork projects).

The second French butter dish I made for my son came out of the kiln OK this morning, (glazed and fired on Xmas day) that was joy enough for me.

The first one will make a good paperweight - a bit too tight between the inner and outer I suspect and its glazed itself together. If he doesn't want it as a paperweight I'll cut it open and find out.

Setting off tomorrow to see him - it's not  a long way by American standards (250 miles) but the wife will need a comfort break about every hour - that adds a fair chunk of time with her a wheelchair.

(I suspect and its glazed itself together.)

I would tap the lid with a wood stick like a hammer handle around and around until it pops loose. This is often the way with porcelain lids even if they have a bit of alumina hydrate in the gallery(where the lids meets the pot)

Archived