Evelyne could not post the Qotw. . . so I am helping her out.

After all of our discussions on so many of the forums, many have talked about safety in the studio. These discussions will include keeping a clean studio, washing up instead of sweeping or brushing, using respirators when working with dust, using goggles to view the cone packs in the kiln, how to lift and move materials safely, and so many other things. So what in the anonymity of the forum. . . what don't you do for your self safety wise that you should do?  Reason I am bringing it up right now is that I have been trying to get some orders finished up, along with some wedding presents and a wedding jar. However, I am kicking around in a studio that has not been cleaned after the Winter with dust everywhere, trimming craps still on the floor, and overall chaos as I have to step over things to get to the wheel. Pretty bad right now, but hope to get the time to clean as these pieces start to dry.

best,

Pres 

I am real good at wearing a paper mask but lousy at one of those hepa filter mask. I like the rectangular paper mask you see the Japanese wear in horror movies, they are comfortable,  I buy a box of 50 and change them often.  The hepa filter mask never fit my face right, hot and sweaty and fog up my glasses, but I do keep my studio fairly clean, and I pick up any trimming off the floor daily.  If I leave it on the floor  stepping on them makes more dust.   Denice

just finished taking everything off the worktable (devil on my shoulder says it has been a STORAGE TABLE FOR JUNK THAT JUST ACCUMULATES) and replacing the tyvek top.  what a treat to have 3x5 feet of clean horizontal surface!  and to see the last of those things that needed to meet mr hammer.

still have only a small amount of junk that came off that tabletop.  plan to remove tons of things that have found their way to corners and places they should never have located and TOSS THEM OUT!

now the problem is to lift, drag the heavy trash can to the curb for pickup.

by the way, pugaboo found that amazon sells a 5x9 foot piece of tyvek for $15 and free shipping.

june 15.  just realized i did not mention the safety part.  all that junk has collected dust and piles of things that were balanced just so but did fall off.  the safety is really in feeling rushed, doing things haphazardly because it was "only for a minute" and the dissatisfaction of working in a mess.  mostly unnecesarry mental stress.

While loading the kiln I some times see a pot that needs a touch up and use a piece of sand paper rather than a damp sponge to smooth it and skip the walk across the house to grab my mask. Bad me I know I know but it's only a touch here and there not a whole load of pieces. I will do better maybe keep at least a paper HEPA mask in a baggy by the kiln, hmmm that might actually work will do so in the morning.

T

Its been sweeping with floor sweep for years-I finally cured it with a Vac system

http://community.ceramicartsdaily.org/topic/14523-clay-studio-hepa-vacuum-with-cyclonic-separator/

I cannot tell you how great this has been the past few days

Its will take some time to get all the nooks and crannies but I'm working thru them.

I use a breadbox but do not wear a mask when dealing with dry ingredients. I just don't see wearing a mask for 20 minutes while mixing glazes to be that significant if I take it off as soon as I walk away into the same open area. Other than that, I get a big gold star in keeping the studio clean.

For the next dream studio, there will be a room for dry materials mixing to keep the dust contained more completely.

All of the above I'm guilty of. I do clean up floor and counter/table right away after working and use a wet sponge for table tops. I try and go outside and stand downwind whenever I am sanding things rather than wear the mask. I really need to mop my house, but I really hate mopping.

Yes it's the dust again!

I have trimmings on the floor around the wheel I use for trimming.I no longer sand anything but hold a very bad concept that when in a rush it is a waste of time to put stuff back where it belongs..... really ill founded belief. Am trying to cure myself, stop a bit earlier and do just that.

I'm in self monitoring mode at the mo, and in chuck out mode too......

I am aware that the ware rack that separates my end from the other inhabitant

of shed is soon going to come my way by quite a distance so I am preparing for this event.

Thinking I'm bigger and stronger than I really am and wrenching my back muscles when lifting. That and procrastinating over doing core exercises to strengthen it.

Min, I'm thinking for the likes of you and I that we are never going to take time out to do exercises SO I'm working at incorporating the exercises into my days work....like lifting lots of little weights instead of the big oooomph jobbies, may mean taking clay one bag at a time instead of the 2 or three..... light stuff on high shelves

My have to write the book......

BUT there is always the reflex action you have to watch out for

I have extra packages of particulate filters for the respirator mask I use while spraying, sanding, mixing, etc...but the filters do not automatically install themselves.  As easy as it is to change those things, I honestly don't remember the last time I did.  So, with all this talk of dust, I'm off to open a new package of filters...but won't that clean air smell funny?

Peace,

-Paul

I have extra packages of particulate filters for the respirator mask I use while spraying, sanding, mixing, etc...but the filters do not automatically install themselves.  As easy as it is to change those things, I honestly don't remember the last time I did.  So, with all this talk of dust, I'm off to open a new package of filters...but won't that clean air smell funny?

Peace,

-Paul

May get oxygen overload!

Thinking I'm bigger and stronger than I really am and wrenching my back muscles when lifting. That and procrastinating over doing core exercises to strengthen it.

Min, I'm thinking for the likes of you and I that we are never going to take time out to do exercises SO I'm working at incorporating the exercises into my days work....like lifting lots of little weights instead of the big oooomph jobbies, may mean taking clay one bag at a time instead of the 2 or three..... light stuff on high shelves

My have to write the book......

BUT there is always the reflex action you have to watch out for

I make it a point to at least get in my 50 push ups, and 100 side plank dips a night before bedtime. It helps. Summer months, kayaking a sea kayak is great core work if you paddle, and not coast. I love to race the sail boats in August.

best,

Pres

Side plank dip is to do a plank on the side, body supported perpendicularly to the floor by elbow and feet. Drop hip to the floor, and raise, stop motion, and repeat. Done slowly it stretches the back, strengthens the core muscles. Hits lower than the push up. Some people think there is nothing to it, but I find it is good for me.

best,

Pres

@John...oh, say it isn't so!!!

On second thought, thank heavens...I feel so much better now...let off the hook, so to speak!

I was reluctant to put it out there, but now that I am among such good company as all the above posters who have admitted to forgoing the lungs protector at times, I confess, sometimes the respirator just doesn't happen. Not often, but still...

Just thinking, how do you folks store your precious dust mask when not using it. Hang it on a nail in the room like I saw in a picture in an old magazine? I store mine in a plastic zip lock bag in a drawer. Keeps the dust out.

best,

Pres

First of all: thank you to Pres for saving me again and doing the QOTW for me!

And then I have to admit that I don't change the filter of my vaccum cleaner often enough. All the very very small pieces and the clay dust on the floor I vaccum up before I wash the floor with water. But I change the filter only when my husband, who is doing the vaccum cleaning of the house every Saturday, swears.... :rolleyes:

BUT! I changed it as soon as I've read this QOTW! With a very bad conscience....

Thank you Pres for the important question!!

Archived