#21 Mark C.

Mark C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,744 posts
  • LocationNear Arcata Ca-redwood rain forest

Posted 12 March 2014 - 01:04 AM

I keep a tub of slip wipped from my throwing of bowls or larger pots-mix a little vinegar with it now and then . (this is all with porcelain)

Use a metal serated tool for most handle attachments. I score then slip and handle-no eatra water.This is on about 98% of all attachments.I try to make this connection only when the clay is just right mositure wise.

For some reason with teapots I slip then score then slip then attach-maybe I think twice will be better. 

I cover all work one night with loose plastic then dry with plastic off usually pretty fast.

Mark

Mark Cortright
www.liscomhillpottery.com

#22 Mug

Mug

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts
  • LocationNorth Eastern Ohio

Posted 12 March 2014 - 07:37 AM

I have been trying to slip then score.

It seems when I score first then add the slip I tend to get air trapped making a crapier joint.

I do think like someone said, the moistuer content has a lot to do with making a good joint.

#23 potterbeth

potterbeth

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 09:38 AM

I score, add a little water, then score again. No slip.

This would discourage the small shrinkage cracks I sometimes get??

But I guess that you know EXACTLY when to do this ie wetness o fhte leatherhard pieces and join just then!

I'm going to try this might lessen the tidying up of smeared areas.

It's mostly out of laziness. I just don't want to maintain containers of slip. The wetter the pot and drier the handle, the less cracks you'll have.

We eliminated slip containers in our teaching studio and went with straight magic water for the same reason...not wanting to maintain containers of slip. As long as the joint is thoroughly scored and slipped then wiggled together well, I don't see much difference with the clay bodies we use. I've seen all the methods mentioned here used in workshops, and I think one of the determining factors is the clay body being used. Some are forgiving and will take less effort, some are more demanding and require more attention. I use a dark brown body which does not do well with water only. I know one porcelain user who eliminated many joining problems by switching to magic water and another who swears by paper clay slip. Magic water recipe: 1 gallon water, 3 TBSP sodium silicate, 1.5 tsp soda ash.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users