Full time potter now

Well,  here I am, retired now, with everything I need to pursue my full time potter gig.  It recently occurred to me though,  that I'm the extreme bottom feeder in the world of creative, artistic  business.  Ceramics is below fine artists and planters are below ceramicists.  It's funny to me because I don't care.  I dig what I'm doing, it's original and people want what I make.  It's all good.  I earned it, and you can join in my joy.

Thanks

1 hour ago, CactusPots said:

Well,  here I am, retired now, with everything I need to pursue my full time potter gig.  It recently occurred to me though,  that I'm the extreme bottom feeder in the world of creative, artistic  business.  Ceramics is below fine artists and planters are below ceramicists.  It's funny to me because I don't care.  I dig what I'm doing, it's original and people want what I make.  It's all good.  I earned it, and you can join in my joy.

Thanks

Congratulations!  There is no heirarchy of pottery, a planter is just as functional as a teapot.  

Am there, doing that...too! Retired and playing in the mud. If I'm not in the studio, I'm out on my little farm...clay in one place, dirt in the other. The really good thing here is that I'm having fun and making money in both places. Hope your efforts pay off as much as you want them to! Way to go CP!

JohnnyK

So what does a full time potter do on his first day of retirement?  Unloads a kiln, of course.  Recently, a very good friend of mine introduced me as a "master potter".  I freaked out, of course and corrected him as best I could.  He's a very good friend, and a true world expert in his field.  Which does bring me to an interesting philosophical question for your consideration.  Apart from marketing, what constitutes a pro potter?  My conclusion, as I was unloading, was: 

Damn, I'd like to own 95% of this.

Better definition?

Professional and master are two different things, though I agree with @Hulk that there is some overlap.

And professional is someone who has chosen to treat their work as work. That doesn’t mean it can’t be artistically fulfilling or fun. It can be all of those things. But the “work” component is always there. For example, if you have an upcoming show or deadline, you are not allowed to say “eh I don’t feel like working today.” Or like we are discussing in another recent thread, if your show this weekend has an all day rain forecast, you show up anyways. 

Now if you are retired and your situation is such that you don’t need the income from pottery, then you are allowed to say “eh I don’t feel like working.” But then you are not professional, you are retired. 

reading all of this i noticed that your first comment included a phrase that indicates you are still hanging on to the "corporate ladder to success" philosophy.     retired is retired.   no more ladder, no more titles needed.    especially "my boss".   

just enjoy the work.  as mea says, it is work, just differently satisfying.

there is a youtube from Whichford, a planter maker in england, take a few minutes to look for and at it.   now, THAT is a JOB!

On 5/12/2019 at 8:25 PM, CactusPots said:

Thanks

Two thousand and three hundred years ago, a potter and/or a painter of pottery might have had the same thought.  But, that person's work sat in the ground for two millenia and two centuries until it was found to be appreciated once again.  It's sitting right in front of me and I appreciate the work of that unknown "bottom feeder" with deep admiration every time I look at it.  Could I appreciate a painting that had been in the ground that many years?

Now, you can enjoy it virtually!

https://sketchfab.com/3d-models/apulian-vase-300-400bc-5f8ea5f99a24432b85593b7a98216abe

Remember, as you view it.  The painting is in REVERSE.  The UNPAINTED region is in red and the PAINTED area are in black.  While this is not the finest example of this type of work, think of the skill that took!

Welcome to the bottom world of clay.You earned it-now enjoy the work.

Its work no way around that. I'm moving the last of 12 tons into the clay shed today-no getting around that being calling anything but work.Then the real work begins turning that pile into $$$$$

I have had 4 outlest call me in last two days with summer orders. Just when I thought I was all caught up.Maybe if I had a 3D printer I could head to the beach instead of the wheel.

4 minutes ago, Mark C. said:

Welcome to the bottom world of clay.You earned it-now enjoy the work.

Its work no way around that. I'm moving the last of 12 tons into the clay shed today-no getting around that being calling anything but work.Then the real work begins turning that pile into $$$$$

I have had 4 outlest call me in last two days with summer orders. Just when I thought I was all caught up.Maybe if I had na 3D printer I could head to the back instead of the wheel.

Your hands are a 3d printer man, one of the fastest on the market ;)

I've always liked to work and I'll keep doing it as long as I'm able.  It does seem to be getting harder.  My grandfather always told me old age wasn't for pussies.  The guys I'd worry about are the successful types that retire and have no plans other than to do what they feel like.

My challenge now is to be better organized, so the work flows better.  I think that will be a big difference between the way I was working and how I want to work now.

• 1 month later...
On ‎5‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 8:25 PM, CactusPots said:

Thanks

Congrats CatusPots! 

Although my wife and I have been making pottery for over 42 years, we've both worked full time, selling our work at farmer's markets, craft fairs, juried shows, online, etc. , on weekends and using vacation days.  I retired a year and a half ago to focus on pottery full time.  We've now opened a brick and mortar store as of about 2 months ago.  We are operating as a combined gallery/gift shop/studio featuring our pottery and jewelry, as well as work by other artists.  We are offering classes in pottery making and photography, and we also have slip-cast bisque ware for people to glaze.  So we are by design not a traditional pottery shop, but I've learned that in our local setting, diversification and filling empty niches is key. 

Although this has been a long-range plan for us for over 40 years, there are factors that one tends not to think about when envisioning the idyllic life of a studio potter.  Things like dealing with renovation delays, staffing, payroll, tax remitting, building maintenance, etc.  All the necessary things for opening and running a small business.  And I'm loving all of it, because it let's me do what I love to do.

I will also say that I see the distinction that some folks make between pottery and art to be bogus.  I completely agree with you that if you are making pots that you like and people are willing to buy them, be happy.

Congratulations again, and to anyone else considering "retirement" to work your butt  off as a potter, go for it!

Archived