QotW: Either generally or specifically, what do you think, feel, and/or do when confronted with moderate to serious/severe limitations of some aspect of health that alters how you work in clay? 

I can tell you what I do with my Bailey table-top slab roller. I mostly handbuild and usually I stack and slam (Michael Wendt method) but I like variety so I also just make a bunch of thin slabs and stack 'em together 2 at a time, run them through and then turn and run again in the other direction, add 2 more, with 2 more run-throughs, until the max height is reached-it helps a lot with nicely pugged commercial clay right out of the bag.  

• Pres pinned this topic

I always have a bag on the table where I working to place scraps which I try to add as I go so they are not dried out.  I mist inside the bag.  So the clay says moist.  When I have enough, I plop the contents of the bag out and smoosh  (Technical term) the pieces together into a rectangular shape.  Then I set the roller on high setting then roll, then set it lower and position the clay the opposite way and roll again....and do this again until I reach the thickness I want.  What I found about changing the direction each time was that I reduced the amount of air pockets.  I also waste very little clay and don't generate so much dust.

Update: So I've been pretty upset the past two weeks waiting to hear back about a test for a mutation in my blood cells that renders the known forms of drug treatment useless. They did the wrong test twice...anyway apparently third time is the charm and the test came back negative, I'm just responding slower than most, which is very very good news. Thanks for all the nice comments and getting to hear folk's sharing. I wish everyone else a bit of good news in their struggles also. 

• Pres unpinned and featured this topic
  • 1 month later...
On 7/29/2018 at 6:14 PM, LeeU said:

I can tell you what I do with my Bailey table-top slab roller. I mostly handbuild and usually I stack and slam (Michael Wendt method) but I like variety so I also just make a bunch of thin slabs and stack 'em together 2 at a time, run them through and then turn and run again in the other direction, add 2 more, with 2 more run-throughs, until the max height is reached-it helps a lot with nicely pugged commercial clay right out of the bag.  

I do a lot of stack and slam using two different consistencies of clay. Lately I have found a course wiggle wire is even more effective, especially when spraying some moisture on to the slabs. The wiggle waves hold the water better.

best,

Pres

On 9/16/2018 at 8:02 PM, LeeU said:

The Potters' Guild has a wood kiln located over an hour away from me, but so far they have been unwilling to accomodate my (physically invisible) disabilites and I can't physically participate in the required pre-during-post firing work...several 8 hr. shifts over a 2 week period.  I have suggested (requested) that they consider having  a policy like the NHIA  community education program that gets me into the anagama firings. I am allowed to pay (a premium!) for the shelf space and then am not required to work shifts.  So far the board has not added my request for discussion (& hopfully resolution) to any of the meeting agendas. I'm not interested in getting into the legalisms of a public non-profit not making a reasonable accomodation (i.e. in this case, pay to play) for someone with a disability, but I'm about ready to withdraw from the organization. I'll again bring up the issue of having a policy on disability accomodations at the next meeting, but that's probably the end of it for me. I don't care for the feeling of being discriminated against, in effect, even when I know that is the furthest thing from people's conscious minds when they just don't "get it" if they don't see a wheelchair! 

If they were to see a wheelchair, do you think they would make accommodations? 

You are right that most of the time organizations just don't get it.  Even organizations specifically charged with providing services for the disabled have procedures that make no sense. 

I hope in your case that the organization puts the subject of disability accommodations on the agenda. I think the fact that the NHIA has a rule the Potter's Guild could copy is important. Drafting new rules can seem scary for people not used to doing it, but adapting existing rules requires way less effort.

If I lived nearby, I would do the eight hour shifts for you.

Edited by Gabby

"If I lived nearby, I would do the eight hour shifts for you."

Me too.

As for what I think/feel/do regarding limitations, I'm very lucky to be able to adjust for weak and sore thumbs (and a few other minor problems).

In public settings, I can hold my breath and/or walk away when artificial fragrances loom. Unfortunately, it's not a "real thing" for many - my "doctor" (looking for a new one), my employer (former, retired early), ceramics instructor (so farr, staying upwind of the two stinkers is working; when the weather turns cold and the doors close, weelll, I'll just open the doors, or go home), etc.

I'm lucky!

Just thought I would add a plug for considering a centering tool to help if needed. I had a screw  put in my shoulder when I was 18 to fix a constantly recurring shoulder dislocations stemming from an injury. A big shot sports doctor did it and I remember him telling me it was a success and I didn't need to worry about it for 30-35 years. Seemed like forever. Now 38 years later not so much. I for the most part don't worry about it and have few issues over the years but excessive centering was causing that shoulder to suddenly have soreness/pain and that gave me pause. I tried to change how I center so I didn't flex my shoulder but it just didn't seem to help.  Added a  https://www.strongarmpotterytools.com/ for big batches of throwing and it went away so love this sucker. I still always center and open several of any batch to make sure I maintain the ability to center. I don't have arthritis but it might also be helpful for that.  

On 9/16/2018 at 8:02 PM, LeeU said:

The NH Potters' Guild has a wood kiln located over an hour away from me, but so far they have been unwilling to accomodate my (physically invisible) disabilites and I can't physically participate in the required pre-during-post firing work...several 8 hr. shifts over a 2 week period.  I have suggested (requested) that they consider having  a policy like the NHIA  community education program that gets me into the anagama firings. I am allowed to pay (a premium!) for the shelf space and then am not required to work shifts.  So far the board has not added my request for discussion (& hopfully resolution) to any of the meeting agendas. I'm not interested in getting into the legalisms of a public non-profit not making a reasonable accomodation (i.e. in this case, pay to play) for someone with a disability, but I'm about ready to withdraw from the organization. I'll again bring up the issue of having a policy on disability accomodations at the next meeting, but that's probably the end of it for me. I don't care for the feeling of being discriminated against, in effect, even when I know that is the furthest thing from people's conscious minds when they just don't "get it" if they don't see a wheelchair! 

It's amazing how fast the word "lawyer" gets ppl's attention. I'm not saying you'd actually do it, but it might make them talk a little longer and more earnestly about changing their policies at some point in future to be more fair. Complacency in regards to have and have-not's has gone on too long. That they won't even talk about your suggestion at their little meeting is outrageous. they're probably hoping you'll go away if they don't. IMHO it's perhaps not your duty to set them straight but it's certainly your right to. Sounds to me like you're giving some selfish jerks way to much credit about their motivations. 

Edited by yappystudent

Yappy I have started carrying a letter with my from my neurologist that I am disabled.   I haven't applied for a handicapped tag yet,   I am not ready for the abuse people give you when they don't think you are disabled but are using a handicapped parking spot.   MS is one of those invisible diseases also unless you have progressed to a wheelchair.    I was buying clay the other day and the lady I usually deal with was having trouble putting the clay in my car.  He hands were curled up so tight from arthritis that she couldn't grasp the box.   I helped her pick them up and told her that two old ladies could do it if we worked together.  She laughed.  Now that my husband is retiring I will have help.   Denice

On 9/16/2018 at 10:02 PM, LeeU said:

The Guild has a wood kiln located over an hour away from me, but so far they have been unwilling to accomodate my (physically invisible) disabilites and I can't physically participate in the required pre-during-post firing work...several 8 hr. shifts over a 2 week period.  I have suggested (requested) that they consider having  a policy like the  community education program that gets me into the anagama firings. I am allowed to pay (a premium!) for the shelf space and then am not required to work shifts.  So far the board has not added my request for discussion (& hopfully resolution) to any of the meeting agendas. I'm not interested in getting into the legalisms of a public non-profit not making a reasonable accomodation (i.e. in this case, pay to play) for someone with a disability, but I'm about ready to withdraw from the organization. I'll again bring up the issue of having a policy on disability accomodations at the next meeting, but that's probably the end of it for me. I don't care for the feeling of being discriminated against, in effect, even when I know that is the furthest thing from people's conscious minds when they just don't "get it" if they don't see a wheelchair! 

ya know you might suggest that they could revise the policy to allow a 'buddy' system of 2, 3 or even a small group working together during one eight hour shift and frame it as  being to broaden participation. I assume the whole point of having the wood kiln and the firing is to promote and enrich the pottery experience. There are many, many health situations that are not immediately visible that would make it impossible to 'work' an entire 8 hour strenuous shift. COPD, back issues etc etc.

The other question that comes to mind is if the Guild is truly about mission when it come to this kiln or if some members see this wood kiln as some sort of personal domain or perc and thus inclusiveness is not really part of the agenda to begin with. 

Edited by Stephen

On 9/16/2018 at 11:02 PM, LeeU said:

The NH Potters' Guild has a wood kiln located over an hour away from me, but so far they have been unwilling to accomodate my (physically invisible) disabilites and I can't physically participate in the required pre-during-post firing work...several 8 hr. shifts over a 2 week period.  I have suggested (requested) that they consider having  a policy like the NHIA  community education program that gets me into the anagama firings. I am allowed to pay (a premium!) for the shelf space and then am not required to work shifts.  So far the board has not added my request for discussion (& hopfully resolution) to any of the meeting agendas. I'm not interested in getting into the legalisms of a public non-profit not making a reasonable accomodation (i.e. in this case, pay to play) for someone with a disability, but I'm about ready to withdraw from the organization. I'll again bring up the issue of having a policy on disability accomodations at the next meeting, but that's probably the end of it for me. I don't care for the feeling of being discriminated against, in effect, even when I know that is the furthest thing from people's conscious minds when they just don't "get it" if they don't see a wheelchair! 

Wow!!  Thought a guild that you are a member of would be more accommodating.  I don't think you should withdraw, but you may consider making a formal request for them  to explain what in their rules prohibit them from accommodating your needs.   I don't think that they would want to be linked with a discriminatory process.  

Oh dear---I apologize for writing "publically" (on impulse, when I was mad, of course) on the personal disability-related accomodations  issue I referenced in this thread. I should not have named the group--that is just as unfair as posting negatives about a named supplier when they aren't present to respond. 

I am ernestly requesting that anyone who has quoted from it (where the organization is named) would (please!) do me a personal courtesy and delete those as well.

This was just not the way or the place for me to grouse about a specific entity--I should have framed it in general, non-identifying, language. I would not want to spread negativity or do any harm to the group, which I like and support. I will deal with the issue-this just isn't where I should be discussing it.    :( (I really am just mortified...foot in mouth dis-ease!!)

Edited by LeeU