Thermal-Light Shelves

LeeU

congratulations!   the ultimate dream material to make life easier.   it's good to be happy for you.

(my original comment on the status report came from the silly internet inclination to go the the most obvious thing and reported that i meant thermal light illumination bulbs and lighting accessories so i never knew they could be kiln shelves.)

SO, what does Lee do the very first time she fires w/the Thermals? She places a business card holder down on it's glazed back instead of it's unglazed bottom. The glaze is Crystal Forest. I easily removed the crusty residue from the piece w/a Dremel. I have not touched what is on the shelf. I do not own (and don't want to get if I don't have to) an angle grinder. Would a Dremel with a light touch be OK to use on this shelf or is there something else I ought to do? 

aarrgghh.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/16/2020 at 9:37 PM, LeeU said:

SO, what does Lee do the very first time she fires w/the Thermals? She places a business card holder down on it's glazed back instead of it's unglazed bottom. The glaze is Crystal Forest. I easily removed the crusty residue from the piece w/a Dremel. I have not touched what is on the shelf. I do not own (and don't want to get if I don't have to) an angle grinder. Would a Dremel with a light touch be OK to use on this shelf or is there something else I ought to do? 

aarrgghh.jpg

Yes that will work buy any scraper will do. A rubbing stone is a easy fix as well. you can use a broken piece of any type of kiln shelve as well to rub this off. It comes right off . Th e Dremel is so small a contact area -yes it will work but just rub it off with another flat abrasive piece.-Ever a kiln post will work 

18 minutes ago, Bam2015 said:

do these shelves not require kiln wash? If so, I think I'm sold. 

Bonded nitride shelves are highly glaze resistant and generally do not benefit from kiln wash. Some porcelains may flux and pluck however so folks will often kiln wash only those shelves to solve the plucking issue if they use a claybody that has this issue.

Edited by Bill Kielb

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/6/2020 at 10:39 PM, LeeU said:

Well, this may come across like one of those Facebook posts where people show pics of their lunch, but I don't care. I am so psyched!  My Thermal-Light shelves have finally arrived!!!!

20201204_124557-.jpg

20201204_183434 -.jpg

20201204_190318-.jpg

new shelves.jpg

Cool!! Where did you purchase your shelves? Directly from Bailey? 

44 minutes ago, Mark C. said:

The two suppliers are Bailey (they sell the German models with  more rounded corners) or Advancers sold by Kilnshelve.com

There are actually more with Advancer  being an early popular bonded nitride, Cryston (Kilnshelf.com) , Resco,  Axner / Laguna (Likely Ashine - China) and others sell knock off for about 1/2 to 2/3 the price. I have personally used the knock offs  (Axner) with very good results but they are not nearly as nice as true ram pressed premium versions.

I bought some of the cheap thin Chinese shelves about 15 years ago, the ones with the slits in them, and they were junk. They didn't hold up as well as normal thick silicon carbide at cone 10, and continued to warp when I switched to cone 6. I've still got a couple that I use as cover shelves, and the warp is ridiculous. I don't know if they've improved since then, though. Hopefully they have.

4 hours ago, Mark C. said:

price may be the only thing

For me, the price difference was substantial. I have been saving for Advancers for YEARS (low fixed income), ever since John Baymore told me all about his & why they are worth the investment.  Then I heard about the Thermal Lights--right here on these forums. Several of you helped me with the research & sizing for my L&L kiln.  I had just about the right amount saved up by the time I ordered them & Bailey had a discount offer as well--so that was just plain thrilling.