hand-building and throwing with arthritis, suggestions

I have a hot waxer for feet and hands,  I was just wondering if it sped up the healing process.   I just got back from my nerve test and they were pretty bad the doctor thinks I should have the surgery right away.    I want to wait until January,  I guess I will have to speak to a surgeon about this,  maybe he will give me a steroid shot.   Good news is that my last MRI showed no new signs of lesions or damage from my MS.      Denice

Steriod shot can help but its a temporary solution. See a hand only surgeon -tahts one who only doies hands that all they do.

I'm looking at a January  or Feb. deal myself. No fun. I see my second hand only suregon is SF in two days for a second opinion .

The wax does speed up healing as well as the ice water to hot water baths that you plunge your hand into a few times a day. It all helps with blood flow and inflammation reduction.

Same with water soaked microwave washcloth wraps on wrist. All good stuff.Any top notch rehab person will suggest all the se treatments .

I totally can empathize. I only started working with clay after I retired and when I started, my hands were really sore, with arthritis in my thumbs predominantly, but some of my finger joints hurting as well.  I would warm my hands up under running water before I started classes, then as I was in the studio more, I repeated doing that a number of times. I always use warm water for throwing, more for my hands than the clay. I know I am not working for a full days all week, and probably it would be different and harder on my hands if I were, but I do find that my hands hurt less when I have been doing pottery for a few days. 

One thing that happens when you work with your hands is that the small muscles in your hands strengthen. This is a good thing, if it is done gradually, and seems to help the bone on bone forces decrease a bit.  If you decrease the amount of clay you work with and be sure not to put too much force through your joints, that also might help. And the idea about adding equipment to do the work that is causing you the most pain is really good.  

I think the other thing about this ageing.....is to keep doing the things that you love doing - maybe modified - but keep doing them. This is absolutely a personal opinion, but I think  I would rather adapt my activities whenever I can, rather than giving them up completely. Especially pottery. 

• 1 year later...

I found these posts while I was doing some research about how doing pottery might affect my finger joints. I went to see a hand orthopedist because of the pain and stiffness in the fingers on my right hand.  The x-rays showed that I have mild arthritis In those fingers. I've heard conflicting opinions about benefits vs. harmful effects of doing pottery.  Some say that it will exacerbate the pain in my finger joints, whereas others are of the opinion that doing pottery will help strengthen and exercise the muscles in my hand thereby helping with the pain. Any helpful comments that could clarify the vastly opposing opinions would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Elizabeth

Years ago, when I was teaching throwing to beginners, my mantra was Move the Clay, don't let it Move You! I don't know how many times I told the kids that.  Little did I know that all of that moving the clay was also moving me. I find now that many fingers have become bent to fit the way I pull. Both hands have. . . .adjustments.... fingers permanently bent to fit other fingers, on the left for inside pulling, and fingers on the left made to reinforce the pointer when pulling. Weird what repetitive positions do to the body.

best,

Pres

23 hours ago, Teacher Lady said:

I found these posts while I was doing some research about how doing pottery might affect my finger joints. I went to see a hand orthopedist because of the pain and stiffness in the fingers on my right hand.  The x-rays showed that I have mild arthritis In those fingers. I've heard conflicting opinions about benefits vs. harmful effects of doing pottery.  Some say that it will exacerbate the pain in my finger joints, whereas others are of the opinion that doing pottery will help strengthen and exercise the muscles in my hand thereby helping with the pain. Any helpful comments that could clarify the vastly opposing opinions would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Elizabeth

I have had arthritis in my hands beyond memory at this point. Using your hands is whay I consider a key element to life and hands. My guess is you are not a professional with clay so you will not be using.8- 10 tons a year which. puts a hurt on the hands . I would  not worry about clay and your hands. Mild Artritis is in all us old timers who use our hands in life. 

I am 100% a believer that clay can help  strengthen and exercise the muscles . As you age no matter what your artritis will continue

Clay has kept my hands strong . They do not like cold but thats also an aging issue.Heck I do not like cold-never have liked heat either-I like it just right.

Edited by Mark C.

On 9/9/2020 at 10:19 PM, oldlady said:

handlebars on my bike changed to the old kind that bend instead of the straight horizontal rod

Old Lady, you need a "cruiser bar".  A good bike shop should be able to fit one for you.

• 3 weeks later...

mark,  since you have one of the wax melting machines, how does it differ from a crock pot other than having a temperature control?  

ann, what i want is the kind that was built in my skinny 3 speed English bike from 1954,   was the name Raleigh?  coloured fenders with about 8 inches of white on the end.

• 3 weeks later...

HAND FOOT WAXER is oval not round and not as deep as a crook pot-its made for feet and hands not stew-temps are easy to control. Its loaned out right now otherwise I could take a photo.

its full of wax all the time-sometimes that wax is cold and hard when put away

Its a PT tool for rehabbing after surgery or whatever.Hot water soak can also be helpful.

644742993_raleighsports.JPG.81a3fa611afb45a1a049cea49745b122.JPG

Raleigh "Sports" model, circa 1971

Not seeing anything near Harper's Ferry
See "Stevenjess63" Etsy shop; they have an early 60s step through model, asking $250, not baad.

added:
Although the listing indicates "...five people have it in their carts..." it's still available (search string: "Stevenjess63")
372009580_raleighsportsii.JPG.19506fac5bfa596729511476271cbd60.JPG

Looks like the tires are rotted.
The seat and saddle bag may be serviceable, but well worn.
Likely a new chain, cables, grips, brake blocks, pedals and perhaps some bearings will be required.
I'd check it over carefully for corrosion, cracks, etc.

Edited by Hulk
specifics on the Etsy listing

YES! YES!  THAT IS IT!  mine was a bright blue 3 speed ladies bike without that horizontal bar.  too bad the photo does not have a totally light background.   the 1956 or 7 original was $49.00 and it was a fortune for me.  i rode it all over the city and over the bridge and all the way to the riding stables at the far end of belle isle park.   spent my whole allowance, $2, on one hour of riding a pinto who would leave the trail and jump a big log.  heaven............

thank you, hulk.

• 2 weeks later...

Last few days, little finger on RT hand has been aching in the end knuckle, can't tell if broke or if Arthur is visiting. Today it has developed a red spot on the outside of the knuckle.  Time will tell. Can still use it carefully, but really painful to touch.

best,

Pres

No, no throwing, I have been redoing a Den floor, and have started a heavy clean up in the shop after the ice mess this week. Things are a real mess right now.

I was glad to hear that your shingles is over. I have had the first shot, but will be getting the new one.

best,

Pres

I told you about this at the workshop. I had 4-6 inches of ice in the entire shop this Winter. My garage/shop is brick with a concrete floor. I usually do not work in the Winter because it is so hard to heat unless heating 24 hrs at a low level. Even that eats up electric. At any rate the underground rive that sits directly below my shop got backed up some way and came up through a drain in my floor,  Wheel, clay, glazes, and anything on the floor including electrical extensions cords and tool boxes were all frozen into the mess. I had to replace extensions, replace the potentiometer in the wheel foot pedal, and basically wait until everything thawed out in the Spring. Then the two trips happened, the workshop, and some honeydo projectsthat involved stripping out molding and old flooring and replacing it, dragging all my tools out from the shop to do it. Finally done with much of it.

best,

Pres

Few end knuckles with red spots here.

Not rubbing,  Arthur here , not visiting, staying. Worse in cold weather, gloves help but not when thowing.

Dont notice it when throwing, but afterwards!!!. Bit clumsier though...

Bigger handles on tools, tapeclittle finger straight to next finger when knitting, or it  converts to a claw...

I'm sometimes feeling familiar twinges* in a few fingers, so warm water in the throwing bucket, warm clay - bring tomorrow's inside the night afore, and:
  hat, for the body gets it when th' brain ain't warm;
  warm lower legs and feet, for the body will let the hands go next when the feet get cold;
  sleeves, down to about the point where clay splashes to - I have long arms, so just raising my arms up straight pulls back the sleeves enough.

Sleeves really help, a lot.
I want to clarify how important that sleeves stay well away from wrapping up in any machinery, d'ya hear me there? - tight, secure? ok then.

Bats seem to help, keeps hands off the cold alloy wheel head.
My spash pan is cast alloy, which also spirits the heat away; those sleeves help!

*Have had some "angry toe" spells over the last several years.
An extra layer at the ankle really helps with the Raynaud's syndrome (toe, finger, part of hand and/or foot that starts reddish, sensitive, can progress to blue/black - pain), try cutting off the foot of heavy sock, hence, still wear the same shoes, slippers, etc., with extra covering where the leg is so thin, at the ankle. During our "winter" I'll do a heavy wool knee sock, like the leg warmers of a few decades ago.
Once th' end of a toe or digit turns almost black, it'll be painful, might take a while to ease off, and the damage can take days to heal.

Even with crepe sole work boots and wool socks, the cement slab floor (left foot) and light alloy foot pedal (right foot) just suck the heat out of me feet.
I use a piece of scrap lumber for the left and have taped some bubble wrap on the foot pedal - enoooormously better.

This time of year, however, can do shorts and tshirts.

Edited by Hulk
it's a syndrome, see?

21 hours ago, Hulk said:

I'm sometimes feeling familiar twinges* in a few fingers, so warm water in the throwing bucket, warm clay - bring tomorrow's inside the night afore, and:
  hat, for the body gets it when th' brain ain't warm;
  warm lower legs and feet, for the body will let the hands go next when the feet get cold;
  sleeves, down to about the point where clay splashes to - I have long arms, so just raising my arms up straight pulls back the sleeves enough.

Sleeves really help, a lot.
I want to clarify how important that sleeves stay well away from wrapping up in any machinery, d'ya hear me there? - tight, secure? ok then.

Bats seem to help, keeps hands off the cold alloy wheel head.
My spash pan is cast alloy, which also spirits the heat away; those sleeves help!

*Have had some "angry toe" spells over the last several years.
An extra layer at the ankle really helps with the Raynaud's syndrome (toe, finger, part of hand and/or foot that starts reddish, sensitive, can progress to blue/black - pain), try cutting off the foot of heavy sock, hence, still wear the same shoes, slippers, etc., with extra covering where the leg is so thin, at the ankle. During our "winter" I'll do a heavy wool knee sock, like the leg warmers of a few decades ago.
Once th' end of a toe or digit turns almost black, it'll be painful, might take a while to ease off, and the damage can take days to heal.

Even with crepe sole work boots and wool socks, the cement slab floor (left foot) and light alloy foot pedal (right foot) just suck the heat out of me feet.
I use a piece of scrap lumber for the left and have taped some bubble wrap on the foot pedal - enoooormously better.

This time of year, however, can do shorts and tshirts.

Almost need a video.

Was a post years ago re what one wears when potting or checking kiln thro' the night.

A few belly laughs when time got away or the potting shed trapped the innocent night kiln watcher!

• 1 month later...

@Hulk you can still get leg warmers. If you knit, or have a friend who does, there’s lots of patterns on Ravelry. There’s lots of men’s fingerless gloves and gauntlets on there too. 

On 9/4/2022 at 5:43 PM, Babs said:

post years ago re what one wears when potting or checking kiln thro' the night.

My midnight kiln checks involve an avocado print Oodie, a battery powered camping lantern and welding glass. My neighbours have questions.